22.07.2012 A 66 year old pilot died when his Fokker DR1 crashed in a field 500m from the airfield at an aerial meeting in Couhé-Vérac ( France ) The plane belonged to the well known Amicale Jean Baptiste Salis of La Ferté Alais.shok.gif

Damn - what had happened?

From what I read on the forums from people who were at the meeting, they were simulating a fight with a SE5a protecting a Breguet 14, when the DR1 went down in a spin.

In fact the plane didn't belong to the Amicale JB Salis, but had been bought by the deceased pilot in April this year. The plane had been originally built by Jean Salis for the film " L'as des as " with Jean Paul Belmondo in 1982.

aerfb40.jpg

Edited by corsaire31

Very sad news indeed, to lose a pilot not to mention such a plane. I read thorugh the article as well as the posts on François Guinand's own website and, as much as I hate to say it, it sounds as if the pilot's own inexperience with the triplane is likely what did him in. His comments about his first flight and the remarks made by another pilot who flew wing with him would indicate Guinand was rather unsure in air with his new plane. I have to wonder why he would not have spent more time behind the stick in it before going right to the air shows and participating in exhibition flying. Thrill of the moment I suppose.

Rest in peace Aviateur Guinand.

It's always a great pity when this kind of thing happens.

@ RAF_Louvert : On his personal website you can read something like " We'll have plenty of time to be reasonable once we'll be dead " Think it shows the kind of man he was.

It is always the same debate : is it better to have a shorter interesting life or a longer boring one ? Remembers me of a postcard I bought when I lived in Germany. It was a picture of a guy lying on a hospital bed with doctors and nurses around him, and it said something like " There are people who don't drink, don't smoke, don't like good food, don't chase women or do anything unreasonable. For punishment, they live longer than other people..."

Edited by corsaire31