dtmdragon

Yankee Air Pirate 2 compared to Strike Fighters 2?

I've only ever played the Strike Fighters 2 series but have been looking into Yankee Air Pirate 2. So I was wondering how it compared to SF2 since it's based on WOV in terms of game play, graphics etc what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Dan.

Edited by dtmdragon

SF2 gave the game a facelift in looks, functions, and frame rates.

Stepping back to WoV (even with 3rd party models and textures) is not nearly as good as the current revision of SF2.

If you can accept that, the YAP stuff looks good and mostly works well... at least well enough to "tell stories".

The focus in YAP 2 is reliving specific historical missions as best as possible within game engine limitations.

While the missions are exactly as promised, to me the value is in getting nice carriers like an excellent CVAN-65 Enterprise.

Aside from the carriers, I much prefer SF2 and the free mods that are available for it.

If you have money to burn, give it a try, otherwise, SF2 up to the SF2NA standard for carriers is more than adequate, perhaps even preferable.

The YAP models can be transferred into SF2 in case you are wondering ;)

One big factor is that WoV in the 083006 format has relatively dumb AI.

The AI came a long way since then.

Edited by streakeagle

SF2 plus the SF2V Air and Ground Expansion Pack gives you the benefit of SF2 with a lot of the atmosphere and extra stuff you'd get from YAP.

(shameless plug)

Cheers guys I had a feeling that might be the case so i think I will give it a miss.

I got it just for the B-26C and C-47, If your into WWII props Rising sun has alot of planes that are hard to get elsewere.

If your into WWII props Rising sun has alot of planes that are hard to get elsewere

yes and no ... but we all know that story...

DAT's had the Skytrain since 2005??(diremember); the WoI Expansion Pak adds it too. Kesselbrut's Invader has been in the download section since 2009 (ok, it's the K, but a few simple ini edits can remove the wing tanks and create the earlier variant, of which NM skins are pretty available, if knows where to look)

even in sf2 (the version I had), RS left me cold ... I mean, one of the easiest things to make is hangar & loading screens; and they never bothered??? I understand they wanted to sell stories, but sheesh...give the users something to look at when selecting the birds.

SF2 Vietnam rocks hands down compared to YAP. YAP is legacy wings over that game is about 8, 10 years old now.

Edited by MAKO69

SF2 gave the game a facelift in looks, functions, and frame rates.

Stepping back to WoV (even with 3rd party models and textures) is not nearly as good as the current revision of SF2.

If you can accept that, the YAP stuff looks good and mostly works well... at least well enough to "tell stories".

The focus in YAP 2 is reliving specific historical missions as best as possible within game engine limitations.

While the missions are exactly as promised, to me the value is in getting nice carriers like an excellent CVAN-65 Enterprise.

Aside from the carriers, I much prefer SF2 and the free mods that are available for it.

If you have money to burn, give it a try, otherwise, SF2 up to the SF2NA standard for carriers is more than adequate, perhaps even preferable.

The YAP models can be transferred into SF2 in case you are wondering ;)

One big factor is that WoV in the 083006 format has relatively dumb AI.

The AI came a long way since then.

Streak,

How do you go about transferring the YAP models to SF2? Clean SF2 or SF2 Vietnam? Really interested in this!

Jug, it is simply a matter of reorganizing the WoV/YAP2 files into the SF2 format. The carrier deck mesh is flawed, so you can fall off the port edge trying to use the waist catapults. But someone said that can be fixed by borrowing the stock (or mod?) deck mesh or something like that. Call me stupid! I essentially paid $100 for CVAN-65 (actually $200 since I originally bought YAP1 expecting to get the Enterprise). The model and textures are awesome. I guess it really wasn't worth the money, but the only other version available wasn't even up to SFP1 standards much less SF2. Another problem is the YAP approach of making 2 or 3 different models of the carriers to arrange the deck for launching and landing. I would rather have a single model set up to support both. It would be great if the carrier was re-released in a format fully compatible with the new SF2NA setup.

At one point, I had reworked several F-4 skins that were available into a single very accurate one to match photos I had of Enterprise operations in Vietnam. I lost them in a uninstall/reinstall for an expansion pack or something like that.

I love the Enterprise. I also got the America before I pissed of 05 and stopped getting notices of new files from him. Funny, I paid in full but didn't get the updates other customers eventually got. He claimed he didn't want my money but certainly didn't give me a refund either. If SF2 had DLC or expansion packs with all the super carriers from the game's time frame, I would have no further need of any YAP files.

I've only ever played the Strike Fighters 2 series but have been looking into Yankee Air Pirate 2. So I was wondering how it compared to SF2 since it's based on WOV in terms of game play, graphics etc what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Dan.

I got the entire YAP 1 and the first YAP2 set - YAP1 was great at the time - really changed the game. You basically run the custom missions (the campaigns wont work) only - but they have good missions and challenges - including Helicopters - remember flying the Huey and others for missions - One you had to land in a compound in Saigon and drop some troops off.

The AAA and small arms were deadly and there is lots of it.

I think they had to stop at WOV 2008 because in SF2 TK removed some of the things like Ramp starts and ability to A-A refuel

Cons

WOV is single core only - and really best in Win XP. Nice graphical enhancements were introduced in YAP2 but I have to turn the settings right down even with the HDR mod on an i7 for it to run okay in WIn 7 64.

Terrain still based on Dueces low res tiles from about 2004

Misses a lot of the changes SF2 brought like proper RWRs and better pits.

The SF2V expansion pack is what you need really - it can be used as a great basis because it has the AAA levels similar to YAP (ie what SF2V should have out of the box!!) - but you can run campaigns.

Also a lot of target and objects have been placed on the terrain - with a lot of work. I use this as a basis for my only Vietnam install and have changed the campaigns to work with my existing plane set and mods. At Apr 2012 level which I might leave it at I can run single missions from populated carriers as well.

Porting Yap to SF2

If you have the time (a lot of time) - some of the missions wont work, some models can be used - but will need the SF2 changes outlined in the knowledgebase - and A/C will need FM changes, carriers need NA changes if running post NA install.

Edited by MigBuster

Here is what i could experiment with YAP and SF2:

- I could import the map in sf2 (just copy the folder in terrains folder) but i didn't really like the textures, so i kinda made a mix of YAP terrains with green hell 2 textuers, which gives nice results but minor glitches (like jungle overlapping objects, stuff like this).

- I could import the aircraft carriers in sf2, and could even make some sinkable in sf2-na (see here: http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3548808 for conversion). I just can't get the smoke effect when the bomb hits, and AAA don't work.

- I could convert some missions very easily, some required renaming some objects, some really don't work (like: in YAP, your wingman takes off with you from the carrier, in SF2 he pops up and rejoins. Or in SF2, some objects like sampans are not compatible).

What is really useful for such a conversion is SF2V Air & Ground War Expansion Pack and

MGunny's Ordnance Shop II for SF2

, both available here at CA.

So basically, it's a very long work, but if you succeed it's very rewarding. missions are nice with all the SF2 eye candy. Such a shame YAP team didn't make it (or at least release some carriers "NA compliant" :)) )

The only thing is that i don't think anyone who would make a full conversion package would be allowed by the yap team to release it, so it's much of an "off the book" , personal work.

Edited by stuntman

I fiddeled with some of their WW2 terrains and decided it was not worth it to try and inport them, some of structers are nice,Towers an such, Bottom line is you can't upload their stuff in any mods, but thats OK.