Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

C-17 lands at wrong airfield

Did anyone catch this earlier in the week?

After unloading and lightening the aircraft they attempted a departure. Apparently a lot of people weren't aware of the C-17's short field capability.

Edited by SayWhatt

Could be an in-flight emergency...Or maybe the pilots were just drunk!!

It's, indeed, strange that the crew has not decided a go-around. The visibility looks excellent. Anyway, another fine performance of the Globemaster III capabilities !

[/url]

So does anyone know what happened to the crew??

This happens more than you think. Pilots get complacent, and this is what happens. Nobody hurt, all is OK. I'm sure they will be getting some remedial training. Both airfields have runways that are close Macdill 22 approach, go to google maps the small airfield has 22/04 zoom in it goes to 21/03. runways google map. Both airfields have similar surroundings and lay outs, the small airfield could pass as a mini macdill. If the pilots where not familar used the approach tables and gps and then looked out the window and saw the runway they probably went ti vfr approach, and were like, the gps and tables are wrong.

Edited by MAKO69

Both airfields have similar surroundings and lay outs

I noticed that too. Approaching from the South West, you'd just need to lose your landmarks or fly a bit too fast and you'd be over Macdill AFB and thinking POK was MAc in no time. Could they have had time to punch it when their wheels touched or are you committed to braking at that point?

I'm from Tampa, and I've flown into MacDill a few times.

They REALLY must not have been paying attention...MacDill's runway is MUCH longer and wider and in a significantly different location.

I've seen incidents like this before, but usually the runway's (or taxiways!) were similar in size and shape. Peter O'Knight and MacDill are only similar in alignments...not much else.

As far as doing a go around, it depends on when they noticed they were at the wrong place. Typically the worst thing you can do is shift modes if you are too far into the landing already.

At least no one got hurt or metal bent...

Friggin' boneheads.

FC

Yeah, it was in the local paper here.

It's like mistaking a pickup for an 18 wheeler. Eyewitnesses said they thought the plane wasn't going to stop in time but run off the end of the runway! That wouldn't happen at MacD. Fully loaded a 17 would still have plenty of room to stop.

We had a P-3 come down to the numbers once before they figured out what was going on. Its real easy to mistake KGEG and SKA though if you're just focusing on the runway. Airliners line up on Fairchild all the time, its something we have to constantly watch out for.

Incredible and awesome!

Since the C-17 schoolhouse is here, we've discussed this many times over the past week. Nothing official of course, just other crew guys passing info. But more ridicule and sarcasm than anything.

This was hour 18 for the crew after returning form an overseas base. Fatigue, and most likely complacency, are to blame. And yes, there was a 4-star onboard at the time.

Easy to armchair QB it from here, but wait until the final report comes out. I'm sure it wont be pretty.

But, nice job on the landing and stopping!

Buzz_Woodie_wrong runway.jpg

Here is another funny one:

c-17_WRONG.jpg

That proves that the C-17 can get in and out of almost anywhere. That's what it was designed for. :clapping:

I was coming back from Winnipeg to Nebraska in an Aero Commander Twin with passengers. Supposed to stop at Grand Forks Intl.,Grand Forks,N.D. for customs.

Called at about 6 miles for straight in to Runway 17. It was a beautiful summer day. CAVU to the moon and vis 15 miles. It was Sunday and things were slow,so tower cleared me to land. I was about 3 miles out when tower called and told me to turn left 45 degrees.

I did as I was told and that is when I finally noticed all those really BIG green and brown airplanes sitting on the ramp. Grand Forks Air Force Base has a similar runway pattern to International. I was lined up for the Air Force Base. That is back in the day when GFAFB was frontline SAC. I called the tower and thanked them for saving my butt. If I would have touched down at the AFB,they would have met me with armed Air Force Security,impounded the plane and arrested me and the passengers. :yikes:

OH,those BIG green and brown airplanes were KC-135's and B-52's and there were a lot of them.

I was a commercial charter pilot with 4000 hours and considered myself a Pro.

It can happen to anyone who flys!! :heat:

It can happen to anyone who flys!! :heat:

I can believe that...but the other times (like your example) is when the runways and surrounding area are similar in general size and layout.

Some big 'gotcha' areas include Spokane/Fairchild AFB (like Grinch mentioned), Corpus Cristi NAS and Corpus Cristi, Biggs AAF and El Paso, Nellis AFB and Las Vegas. Or there have been cases of aircraft landing on taxiways for the same reason...Kelly AFB was notorious for that, the Continental 757 in Newark, etc. In those areas, I can see why folks can mistake one for the other.

But Peter O'Knight and MacDill AFB just don't come close to matching in my opinion...there are many large enviromental cues that would let you know you're at the wrong airfield.

However, I'm one of those OCD personalities that thinks it will happen to him...so I take active steps to make sure it doesn't...which is why I check the gear handle is down with 3 green at least 4 times before touchdown...

FC

• Like 1

Well...checking it one more time to make certain takes less time than the hearings you'll go thru if you FORGET to do it. :wink:

You can forget a lot of things,except for the "pick 'em up and put 'em downers".

In Navy flight school(Primary),they taught us GUMP(Gas,Undercarriage,Mixture,Prop).

I still use it today whenever I fly.

I'm like FC. I check the gear handle and lights many times in the pattern. Even if they're :down and welded. :good:

1st clue that you forgot gump is when it takes full power to taxi!

:)