Hi, everybody,

I'm new to SF series, i like it a lot, but starting to get frustrated because i can't add weapons. I know about the link that tells you how to do it, but my problem is that my weapon editor doesn't want to open. I guessing it have something to do with the fact that i'm using windows vista.

My question is:

Is there any weapon editor compatible with vista?

If so, where i can download it?

If not, is there any way to add weapons without the weapon editor?

Is that actually my problem?

Thanks in advance.

By the way i'm currently flying with SFP1 and sorry if my english skills are not good enough

90% of the problems with Vista are due to User Account Control, turn it off. I'm running SF2, not SF1 but I sometimes have to click on the Weapons Editor multiple times (three seems to do it), then wait a minute or two. Also make sure your Weapons Editor is the correct version for the patch level you're at. I'm using Vista also and with UAC off I have no problems.

Topic moved to a more appropriate forum

first off - PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THE KNOWLEDGE BASE!!!!

it's for answers only. questions go here, in the regular forums

this is for several reasons:

1) answers only

2) nobody LOOKS in the KB, so your questions might never be seen.

---

as to an answer....

you may have to set the weapons editor to win98 compatibility mode

also, instead of putting the weapons editor folder on C/ whatever (even at the root of C:), try putting the whole folder on the desktop, and create a shortcut from there. or run it from the exe right there in the desktop folder

Also, you might want to have the game itself at the ROOT of C:. Your path would look like (WoE is an example only):

C:\Wings Over Europe

as oppposed to C/ProgarmFiles/*name-of-game*. This takes out any security issues that vista/win7 have with things in the 'protected' regions of the HD. (which can also prevent files being modified -weaponsdata.ini fer instance- from being 'saved')

Edited by Wrench

Thanks guys

let me try your suggestions,

sorry about the wrong category posting

Topic moved to a more appropriate forum

first off - PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THE KNOWLEDGE BASE!!!!

it's for answers only. questions go here, in the regular forums

this is for several reasons:

1) answers only

2) nobody LOOKS in the KB, so your questions might never be seen.

---

as to an answer....

you may have to set the weapons editor to win98 compatibility mode

also, instead of putting the weapons editor folder on C/ whatever (even at the root of C:), try putting the whole folder on the desktop, and create a shortcut from there. or run it from the exe right there in the desktop folder

Also, you might want to have the game itself at the ROOT of C:. Your path would look like (WoE is an example only):

C:\Wings Over Europe

as oppposed to C/ProgarmFiles/*name-of-game*. This takes out any security issues that vista/win7 have with things in the 'protected' regions of the HD. (which can also prevent files being modified -weaponsdata.ini fer instance- from being 'saved')

it worked in the desktop, thanks a lot!!!!!!

:salute:

your welcome!!

:salute:

your welcome!!

Thanks

another problem came up, weapon editor opens, i'm able to open the weapondata.ini file, but i'm unable to save it. Is giving me a message that says " Unable to create C:\Wings Over Europe\Objects\Weapons\WEAPONDATA.INI FOR Writing"

What could be the reason?. What should i do

OK, here's another thing, i'm able to save it outside of the WOE folder and add it manually, but now all the aircraft show no weapon in the loading screen

did you move BOTH the weaponsdata.ini and weaponsdata.dat files over??? It's GOT to have both

(how it works, the weaponsdata.ini is just the listings, the weaponsdata.dat is the actual file the game engine ™ looks at)

now, here I'm gonna get sarcastic, so take this as a bit of a joke; not meant to be harmfull or hurtfull in any way:

What should i do

move to SF2 and you won't have these problems, as all weapons are folderized with all the needed inis, lods, bmps/tga etc, internal to themselves. Weapons editor for SF2 isn't really needed at all!

Edited by Wrench

did you move BOTH the weaponsdata.ini and weaponsdata.dat files over??? It's GOT to have both

(how it works, the weaponsdata.ini is just the listings, the weaponsdata.dat is the actual file the game engine ™ looks at)

now, here I'm gonna get sarcastic, so take this as a bit of a joke; not meant to be harmfull or hurtfull in any way:

move to SF2 and you won't have these problems, as all weapons are folderized with all the needed inis, lods, bmps/tga etc, internal to themselves. Weapons editor for SF2 isn't really needed at all!

Yeah i move both. Actually when i use a backup copy of the Weaponsdata.dat it shows the weapons except the new ones. When i use the saved weaponsdata.dat file is when all the weapons desappear.

And regarding SF2, i'm already working on it. But i don't want to stop flying in the meantime. I know those new weapons and tanks won't stop me doing so, but you know, i like the sims to be the most realistic they could.

Sorry about my english

are you using the correct weapons editor for you patch level? This assumes you're using the 08 patch; there's an 08 level weapons editor, too.

I don't remember exactly where they are here, but look in the downloads, Utilities and Tools section. At worst, it's also at 3rd Wire

Thanks

another problem came up, weapon editor opens, i'm able to open the weapondata.ini file, but i'm unable to save it. Is giving me a message that says " Unable to create C:\Wings Over Europe\Objects\Weapons\WEAPONDATA.INI FOR Writing"

What could be the reason?. What should i do

fufa, did you turn UAC off? That's exactly the kind of thing it does; "Unable to create/write,You do not have privilages, etc. Turn it off, off, off. Control panel, User Accounts, turn User Account Control on or off. Turn it OFF.

fufa, did you turn UAC off? That's exactly the kind of thing it does; "Unable to create/write,You do not have privilages, etc. Turn it off, off, off. Control panel, User Accounts, turn User Account Control on or off. Turn it OFF.

Yeah i already dit that.............................however i'm not so sure if i have the weaponeditor 08..................downloading to see what happen

Do you tried to open the WeaponEditor in compatibility mode?

Yeahm i did that to. Actually i was able to open the editor while on the desktop, end did save the ini file, the problem is that there's no weapon at all in the game after that......................

You must close the weapon editor with "close" button, not with the "x" button. If you use x the change will not work.

You must close the weapon editor with "close" button, not with the "x" button. If you use x the change will not work.

nop, i don`t use X, i save and then close...........by this time, i'm seeing the weapons again, by moving the weaponsdata file from the weapons folder to the main objects folder......................but i'm only seeing the older ones, the weapons or tanks i'm trying to add doesn't appear on the weapon loadout screen