I'm putting finishing tweaks on the EA-6B pack, and I ran into the following problem:

I have restricted the numbers used on the EA-6B from 50-99 (which corresponds to the 5xx-6xx modexes). When I select an EA-6B in the single mission, then select "Fly" without going to the loadout screen, the plane displays in-game with no modex or any other level 2 decals. Likewise, if I go to the Loadout screen, if I don't select that specific aircraft (e.g. 1-3), I get no modex on that aircraft either. If I go to the aircraft on the loadout screen, but don't make any changes, then the modex does display.

Here is the entry in my EA-6B.ini, which is also duplicated in the Textureset.ini:

[TextureSet005]
Directory=USNGREY3
Name=USN Gull Grey (White Tail/Tan Radome)
Nation=USN
Squadron=VAQ135
Specular=0.400000
Glossiness=0.400000
Reflection=0.200000
EndDefaultDate=1981
DecalNumberRandomize=TRUE
DecalNumberStart=50
DecalNumberEnd=99
DecalNumberBlockSize=25

When I rem out the lines

DecalNumberStart=50
DecalNumberEnd=99

then there is no problem. However, I don't want to allow the Prowler to use 3xx-4xx modexes, and would also like to fix this in the next version of the A-6 Superpack.

Any Ideas?

Edited by HomeFries

you block size it too small ... 50-99 is 50 numbers, you have showing 25. try chaning it to match the full block size, see what happens

also might want to check that its level 2. not trying to be insulting, after 10 weeks being reintroduced to college math i'm just saying it can be easy to miss the obvious sometimes.....

Setting block size to 50 worked. Thanks, Wrench.

Just curious: what does block size actually do? I always assumed it was a numeric subset (e.g. 300-324, 400-424, etc.).

Interestingly enough, the Textureset entry for the stock EA-6B in ObjectData025 also uses the block size of 25

Directory=USNGrey1
Name=USN Grey
Nation=USN
Squadron=
Specular=0.400000
Glossiness=0.400000
Reflection=0.200000
DecalNumberStart=50
DecalNumberEnd=99
DecalNumberBlockSize=25

Isn't block size simply the number of tail numbers for that particular textureset?

FC

in a way, it IS a numeric subset; but it tell the Game Engine ™ HOW many decals are either existant or allowed for use on this particular texture.

As Level decal numbering (usually) starts with 000 and goes to 0XX, it's always +1 (000 is the first)

Was working on the Ajeet/Gnat earlier today, and there are 234 serial decals -- and randomization and block size worked (0-233 block size)

in theory, and I think HF (or was it daddyairplanes?) tested this, you can specificy a block size of 25, and call directly the tgas wanted (074-099). I haven't tested that, however.

Interesting stuff.

Of course, this begs two questions:

1. If you can specify a start and end decal, what is the purpose of the block size (since the game engine could do simple arithmetic and figure out the same thing)?
  2. Are the 3W default settings for the prowler (listed 3 posts up) incorrect?

And you're right, Wrench. You can limit the modexes used by the way you specified. This method doesn't appear to influence modexes in campaigns; that appears to be left to the parameters in the campaign_data.ini.

Edited by HomeFries

don't forget, you'd need a matching number.lst, with the specificed Modex

1.If you can specify a start and end decal, what is the purpose of the block size (since the game engine could do simple arithmetic and figure out the same thing)?

i'm not sure if the engine is that smart! I think is says (or means?) "use only these within this set"

2.Are the 3W default settings for the prowler (listed 3 posts up) incorrect?

other than what I said about the block size being too small.

maybe the bloksize= is in the wrong place??

this is from the IAF Gnat:

[TextureSet001]

Directory=2sq

Name=No. 2 Sqdn "Winged Arrows"

Nation=India

Squadron=2IAF

Specular=1.000000

Glossiness=1.500000

Reflection=1.300000

DecalNumberBlockSize=234

DecalNumberStart=0

DecalNumberEnd=233

that's how I've set it up, since the radomization and block sizing started (last year?). Interesting to note, TK only goes to 100 (0-99). This is the first time I've ever actually seen the decals over that number. In theory, you can have 999 (0-998), as everything has max of 3 digits. I sure as hell wouldn't want to make 1000 decals!!! (well, actually I have come close - in the WW2 B-29 ETO "what if", there are 300 nose arts, 300 serials and 300 sqadron codes -- let me tell ya, that was nightmare to create!!)

don't forget, you'd need a matching number.lst, with the specificed Modex

I'm just using the standard USN Attack number list (300-324 -- 600-624), which is why I'm using DecalNumberStart/End to limit the modexes to 5xx-6xx.

that's how I've set it up, since the radomization and block sizing started (last year?). Interesting to note, TK only goes to 100 (0-99). This is the first time I've ever actually seen the decals over that number. In theory, you can have 999 (0-998), as everything has max of 3 digits. I sure as hell wouldn't want to make 1000 decals!!! (well, actually I have come close - in the WW2 B-29 ETO "what if", there are 300 nose arts, 300 serials and 300 sqadron codes -- let me tell ya, that was nightmare to create!!)

Doing 100 modexes (50 EXCAP, 50 ICAP) was pain enough (also recoloring them for white and light grey); I can't imagine doing 233 individual nose-arts! :heat:

Thanks for the answers as well.

it was 300 nose arts ... Let me tell ya, it was a HELL of a lot of work, expecially when trying to convert B&W ww2 photos to useble multi-colored decals!

the 233 serials were done by ghostrider883 (Sandesh) for the Gnat.

just a small correction!

Hey, thanks for bringing this up...I've been having a problem with jets less than 100 numbers showing up without serials. Sometimes even in the same flight! This thread solved that issue for me...thanks!

FC

i've had it working with as little as 6 numbers (modex,bunum) for the VT-8 Midway TBF detactmenat (6 aircraft). Works a charm!