Trying to learn to create Flat fuselage Map. What is the best method ? Map top half and bottom half seperately ? Can someone maybe post some pics ?

Ed

Edited by Veltro2k

hmm, I'd separate from the mesh some top and botom polys (to separate mesh to be mapped later) and map as flat

Agreed. Break it up into top/bottom, R/L. I could never figure out how to do cylindrical mapping - and I feel that it distorts too much that way anyways.

Veltro I have opposite approach than Stary,

lets say I have separate meshes fuselage, vert tail, rudder, antene and maybe somesmall parts on fuselage

first I set the different vertex colors for each separate mesh

then I connect all meshes into one

Then it is simple plannar UVW unvrap from the side

then in the UVW unvrap tool I choose top and bottom faces and set them plannar from the top

you have sides and top/bottom in the same size

then I move rotate mirror each part of UVW map as I want, I see all parts on my UVW map

so I can draw rivets around small intakes etc.

sometimes I want to map small parts differently so I separate the mesh again using "choose by vertex collor"

then separate...UVW unvrap again, edit as I want...easy but time consuming :-(

Monty CZ

I do similar to monty

join fuselage tail etc meshes,but I select faces from left,right 1st,then ,top and bottom etc and map accordingly,to the premade wireframe (I usually copy the whole model,deleting parts that appear 2x then map that to get my wireframe template)to get positions right,then I fine tune the meshes using alignment lines to join meshes to paint them,so lines and paint matches each piece.

blue lines i use to align the meshes.

post-1981-0-25284200-1343665307.jpg

I dont know if anyone else dose this ,but I started writing down the Gizmo info, map size,view,rotation,location. If I have to remap a mesh then I can export it back into Unrap at the same location and not have to redo the texture.

This works for me and it's extra work,but it saves time on redoing the texture,fixing lines and stuff.

sample:

PitTex01

-----------------------------------------------

2m

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pit

RS L X 0.323 Y 0.266 Z 0.516 (PP X 0.0 Y 0.0 Z 0.02)

LS R X 0.323 Y -0.266 Z -0.517

FW 4m F X 1.486 Y 0.719 Z -1.486

---------------------------------------------------

Sm LPan R X 0.323 Y -0.266 Z -0.517 (PP -0.332 Y -0.259 Z 0.085) (To Map Ro Y 10.511 PP = C )

---------------------------------------------------

Prop Control

Base01 R X -0.402 Y -0.266 Z -0.517 (PP X-04 Y 0.026 Z 0.195) (Ro local Y 26.1 Z -1.2 PP = C )

PC Lev R X -0.391 Y 0.985 Z 0.919

Nob01 R X -0.383 Y 0.985 Z 0.866

I do similar to monty

join fuselage tail etc meshes,but I select faces from left,right 1st,then ,top and bottom etc and map accordingly,to the premade wireframe (I usually copy the whole model,deleting parts that appear 2x then map that to get my wireframe template)to get positions right,then I fine tune the meshes using alignment lines to join meshes to paint them,so lines and paint matches each piece.

blue lines i use to align the meshes.

Thanks Russo ,,but I realy cant make heads or tails of this..it coul also be my bad eye sight :grandpa:

UVW Unwrap

• Like 1

LithUnwrap

Edited by RAVEN

LithUnwrap

have this

UVW Unwrap

Accidently erased mine and my RAR file is corrupt