Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

First Indian C-17 Globemaster III

The first Indian Air Force C-17 Globemaster III, which came together in a 'major join' ceremony today at Longbeach, California, will make its first flight in December this year. Was a fun event -- Indian Embassy, senior Indian Air Force and local politicians noisily drove ceremonial rivets into the aircraft to consecrate the 'major join' milestone.

Ambassador N. Parthasarathi, Consul General of India, San Francisco said, “This momentous occasion, where we see India’s first C-17 take shape, further strengthens our growing relationship. As India strives to become a global reservoir of highly skilled and technologically sophisticated manpower, we will witness an escalating technology transfer, collaborative joint research and development, and co-production of defense items between our two countries.”

The guy I enjoyed listening to more was Congressman Dana Rohrabacher who subjected Pakistan to a tonguelashing, saying the Indian C-17 deal represented a step towards a joint fight against 'radical Islam' and Pakistan's support of it (I've got his brief speech on video, and will upload it shortly). It stirred things up a bit in what was otherwise a light, formal affair :), also attended by India's Air Attache Air Commodore Sanjay Nimesh.

The first of the ten Indian C-17s will be delivered to India in May-June 2013. All ten aircraft will be delivered by the end of 2014 and will be based out of Hindan Air Force Station on Delhi's outskirts. The C-17 contract, worth $4.116-billion, does not have a formal options clause, though the IAF is contemplating contracting for 6-10 more aircraft once deliveries begin next year. For Boeing's only big military airplane facility, it's a precarious situation. The C-17 line will proceed to shut down by the end of 2014, which gives the IAF a fairly brief window to decide on follow-on orders. The IAF C-17 factors only a few small changes to the one being supplied to the USAF -- these, presumably, are communications and CISMOA-protected equipment.

A batch of 20 IAF pilots and 10 loadmasters are currently undergoing contractual training at Altus, Oklahoma with the USAF.

http://livefist.blogspot.in/2012/08/first-indian-c-17-comes-together.html

P1050357.JPG

P1050358.JPG

P1050349.JPG

P1050383.JPG

Congrats to Indian Air Force. The C-17 is a truly beautiful aircraft... ad useful too.

Looks great!Anybody know what the operational colour scheme will be?

Looks great!Anybody know what the operational colour scheme will be?

I'm willing to bet it's a choice between uneventful grey and boring grey... like just about every other C-17. :grin:

I'm willing to bet it's a choice between uneventful grey and boring grey... like just about every other C-17. :grin:

Well, that grey painted on IAF aircraft is known as "Tipnis Grey" in the IAF, after Air Chief Marshal A Y Tipnis. It was during his tenure( during the 1999 Kargil War) that all IAF aircraft were ordered to change to the dull grey paint scheme. Only Mirage 2000s were spared and allowed to retain their dual tone blue paint scheme. That was the end of those colourful Fishbeds and Floggers in IAF service :sad:.

Expect the same Tipnis grey shade painted on C-17s, as was done with the C-130Js, IL-76/78s, Do-228s, Avros and An-32s.

Edited by ghostrider883

So we can go with Grey with a hint of Grey... damn that will hide the Duct tape!!!

As long as it isn't '50 Shades of Grey'...or is it '50 Shades of Gray'...

FC

You should read "50 Shades of Erin Gray", a steamy behind-the-scenes look at the making of Buck Rogers.

You should read "50 Shades of Erin Gray", a steamy behind-the-scenes look at the making of Buck Rogers.

Now that I could deal with... just watched Buck Rogers the other night hot is the right word... though what she looks like now I am not sure of...

Edited by Slartibartfast

shoot! the LB factory is only 30-odd miles south of me!! would have liked to have seen that!

Erin Gray???? aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.... (back then of course)

She's 62 now, what can you expect?

This is from almost 3 years ago, when she was 59 I guess.

10.17.09ErinGrayByLuigiNovi.jpg