Good Morning,

I'm finally taking the plunge and looking at purchasing one of the Strike Fighters 2 series games. Since I'm not that familiar with the 2nd series what are the recommendations from the group on which one I should purchase that will allow be the best flexiblity of adding mods and such.

Thanks,

T.

Edited by TSgtT

In my opinion i'll get the latest one. since it has the new engine and such. further development of the series will most likely be based on this and current mod release are for this level so this for me will be the best platform. other than that it will be europe since a lot of past mods have this in mind. that's just me though.

If you want Mods go for Europe as to the Engine SF2/NA is primarily for Carrier ops the Terrain still looks the same. If it was me I would go Europe then SF2/NA in a couple of months and then buy them all over time...

SF2:Europe has biggest planes variety especially with Expansion pack2, SF2:Israel is the most historically accurate one gameplay-wise

If you want a complete naval simulation while still having a historically accurate theater,go with SF2:V and SF2:NA.SF2:Europe supports the most mods.However,if you're a fan of the Arab Israeli conflict but still want a theater with heavy air combat,go SF2:I with SF2:E.

I'd say SF2: Europe, as many have stated, it has more planes and mods, than any other title and eventually you could get the others, which are very good too.

until TW will support it with patches, SF2: Europe is the best choice.

SF2 alone (desert, Dhimari vs Paran conflict) ain't worth the purchase IMO...

for mods and planes SF2Europe is the way to go. all other games and Expansion Packs i got to get stuff for Europe.

SF2:NA is one of the most interesting, but as it only offers 2 flyables (F-14 and A-7) I'd not recommend it as a first purchase. Definitely 2nd, though.

The others have given good ideas on where to go as far as what interests you most (Vietnam, WWIII, Arab-Israeli), and I will echo the idea that SF2 itself is only interesting as a part of the larger whole, I never felt it stood alone all that well.

SF2 alone (desert, Dhimari vs Paran conflict) ain't worth the purchase IMO...

well, other than needing the Desert terrain cat for for severl dozen add-on terrains; that's the best reason for having it.

as to which to buy first, it all depends on where one's interest lies. Eventually, due to the fact the modding community is moving towards a more SF2NA based type of install (again, due to terrains getting the Naval Map functions added)...having all, AND both Expansion Paks will be a must

I generally recommend Europe as the starter because it has the widest variety of planes (Hunter to F-15A and A-10A) and an interesting theater. From there, I would consider SF2NA, as the modders are building on the naval combat capabilities introduced in that release.

Between SF2E and SF2NA, you get (for more modern planes) the F-15, A-10, F-14, A-7, F-4, A-6, and EA-6B (latter 2 need separate cockpits to be flyable).

If I could only have one it would be SF2:E for the Hunter and Harrier.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate everyones help with deciding on which one to try out.

T.