exhausted

I Want A Website

I have never tried anything other then free hosts and some picture hosting sites, but I want my own baby. I want it mainly to host my pictures and information about my interests. I want my own domain and a web server for my files. What am I looking for in terms of money and abilities? Where should I look for hosts?

Thanks.

Over these many years in the flightsim realms, I've tried several little hosting companies, but most turned out to be so much BS... I keep some space at GoDaddy.com right now, and at least they are big enough to not be going away tomorrow... (crosses fingers...) Most hosts will allow one to several SQL type databases and include a variety of tools and gadgets to help.. forums, stats, etc... The more you see, the more they seem the same, so actual customer service is the big plus here. I have called GoDaddy and talked to actual people here in the US!

Here's what I would ask............

1) What are your personal abilities to maintain a website.

---- Are you familiar with FTP, HTML, PHP, CSS, etc..etc...

---- Are you familiar with any of the CMS software out there? Joomla, IPB, UBB, etc.....

2) What are you financial boundaries?

----Do you need unlimited everything?

----Are you willing to pay for CMS Software or looking for a cheaper solution?

3) What are your goals?

----Define your goals before looking for a host.

----Know what you want to make sure a Domain/Site Host is right for you.

My goals are to display my pictures, write about my interests, and reserve space for any possible future growth. I'm a college student on the GI Bill so my financial boundries are short. I would be using some Adobe software to write my site. I will check Godaddy.com.

is this a wise usage of the GI Bill? hehe

if you don't mind me asking, What are you doing other than posting interests and pictures? are you going to write stories about the life and times of a military personnel or Life outside work? Is this a school project?

Rogersmith, depends on your college major. i'm using GI Bill and Pell Grant. getting a tablet with my next Pell check in Sept. but it's a computer oriented course.

exhausted, good luck with the website.

Based on what you want to use the site for, you might want to look at the features you get on WordPress.com:

http://wordpress.com/

is this a wise usage of the GI Bill? hehe

if you don't mind me asking, What are you doing other than posting interests and pictures? are you going to write stories about the life and times of a military personnel or Life outside work? Is this a school project?

How'd you use your tax returns this year? What's your adjustible gross income? How much do you spend on electricity in the 782--? What's your social security number?

I'm not sure why you'd even ask how I'm using my income since it's not your business to begin with.

That being said, I intend my website to be small, and host pictures and information on my interests. I have no current plans to use this for any educational purposes what so ever, or blog about my military experiences online.

Column5, thanks for the pointer. What do you use for your .us? Thanks to everybody for the good wishes.

Edited by exhausted

Column5, thanks for the pointer. What do you use for your .us?

I use WordPress (hosted on the CA server) and like it very much. There are a ton of options to play with and a whole range of themes avaialble to customize the appearance. WordPress.com is their hosted solution, which I have not used but would give you a WordPress blog without the hassle of running a server or dealing with a hosting company, which, as Major Lee said, are all crap.

facebook.. lol

I was gonna suggest the same

Facebook won't cut it because I want to host LARGE pictures from airshows and I don't want everything I do to be their property. I also think that reserving a domain for the future could benefit me should I want to develop my site into something more serious. I'm almost 30 and it will be good to have my pick while options are still out there :)

I'll follow up with details on my decision in the future. Thanks for all the input everybody.

• Like 1

Facebook won't cut it because I want to host LARGE pictures from airshows and I don't want everything I do to be their property. I also think that reserving a domain for the future could benefit me should I want to develop my site into something more serious. I'm almost 30 and it will be good to have my pick while options are still out there :)

I'll follow up with details on my decision in the future. Thanks for all the input everybody.

You could try DeviantArt, it's free and you can use a creative commons license. Once you upload it, it's yours and yours only. People will get to see your pictures and comment, and they can buy prints of your pictures if you allow it. if you want a premium membership, it's $30 per year. I've used it for 6-7 months, didn't see a need to upgrade to premium for what I do.

i use deviant art for the contests (Linkin Park had a few).