Sign in to follow this  
JonathanRL

J 24A Lokatten (F4F-4 Wildcat Swedish Air Force)

J 24A Lokatten

F 6 Karlsborg, 1945 (Fictional)

The purchase of the F4F-4 Wildcat into the Swedish Air Force is considered something of a legend in the annals of Airplane Purchases since it resulted in one of the largest weapon purchases to date by the Swedish Goverment from a foreign power. In mid-1943, the Swedish Air Force approached the American Defence Department, seeking compensation for the J 9 (P-35) Aircraft that had never been delivered. With the J 9 assembly line no longer operational, the Americans offered F4F-4 as an alternative and was willing to supply 45 aircraft within six months. Delivery took place between 1943 and early 1944. The land-based aircraft was named J 24A "Lokatten" (Lynx) and was stripped of most of their naval and carrier gear, making the aircraft having a higher climb rate. J 24 wings formed the core of the Intercept portion of F 6 Karlsborg & F 9 Säve until relived by J 28 Vampires late in the forties.

The Aircraft was liked by pilots and crew alike, proving to be a able opponent in dogfight drills. When the last aircraft was delivered, early 1944, a representative from the US Navy joked "Do you want an Aircraft Carrier with that?". Startled, the Air Force officer in charge of the reception asked how much one would cost. Four months later, the Swedish Goverment officially requested to purchase a Light Carrier at the end of the War.

One month after peace was signed in Europe, the HMS Smiter, a Bogue-class Carrier arrived in Karlskrona to be renamed HMS Gustaf II Adolf. Along with the purchase, twenty F4F-4 was included. These was given the new designation of J 24F Havskatten (Seacat). They would continue to serve as the carriers main fighter screen and continued to do so throughout the Carriers career in the Swedish Navy. During the Catalina Affair, J 24Fs from the carrier provided air cover for the SAR operations and would prove to be good and reliable.

In 1955, the Aircraft was deemed obsolete with no replacement in sight for the Navy. As such, the Carrier HMS Gustaf II Adolf came to be sold to Norway in 1956, where she served as the HNoMS Oslo until 1983.

post-14846-0-27067300-1344528585_thumb.jpg

post-14846-0-71287400-1344528623_thumb.jpg

post-14846-0-24765600-1344528667_thumb.jpg

About the build process:

Yea, so I was bored. That is pretty much everything to it. This is a Hobbyboss Easy Assembly F4F-4 Wildcat, since I was not into getting my hands down in glue for a weekend. I wanted something quick and easy to build and this fit the bill. Having decals over from a J 21 project earlier, I decided to make this into a Swedish Wildcat. The Wildcat was indeed up for discussion during the second world war when the need for modern fighters was desperate, especially after we was denied delivery of the P 35.

Was tons of fun to build, and also the first time I managed to correctly do a blue underside and a green overside without it looking like utter crap...

• Like 1

Soooo How about one we can fly????? :biggrin:

i have templates for wildcat....

(of course I do!!)

Looks great!

What kind of coulour are you using .. I used the one from humbrol but they had a similar effect as yours have they were to "thick" after this I used mainly the Revel stuff and painted it the way that you have not seen the "brusheffect" on the models.

I use Humbrol. The Brush effect is avoided by using a very small, high quality brush with little colour every time and then doing one or two layers.