Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Pilot Funeral Theme Music

On those all too frequent occasions when one of my pilots buys the farm, and he's been around long enough to have survived at least 1 memorable sortie, I tend to have a little ceremony before removing him from the OFF Manager. My ceremony has evolved over time until it's settled on a New Orleans-style funeral with a Dixieland band.

So, what I do is crank up this particular track:

I remove the file at the "ashes to ashes" part, slam a shot of whiskey as the band cranks up for the march back to the wake, and create my next pilot (and have another shot) by the time the song's over.

What do you all do?

As long as I don't lose one early through a collision, they do last quite some time

(only to get killed by a collision later - Mmuahahahaaaa!!!!).

If he was a real veteran with more than 60 flight hours, then I had developed some

kind of relationship to him, and I feel a loss, when he suddenly falls.

There are two kinds of deaths; the expected, and the sudden death.

If I get into a furball with an enemy team, which is very good at it already, and then

more enemy flights arrive and join in, and all this beyond the lines - then I begin

to expect the possible outcome of death or at least captivity.

Collision is a sudden death - one moment I am trying to get behind that Nupe;

next second - crash! - some other feller ran into my kite - or I into his. Same with

total Flak hits (although they are rather rare for German fighter pilots).

I don't have a ceremony for that moment then; no ceremonial music, no drinks.

I only feel really shocked and quite disappointed, almost empty.

What I sometimes do is to screen-copy the Pilot Log with a page of his best claims.

After a while another pilot to whom I feel similarly related,will replace him, and then

some day, his log will get deleted. Gone in history. No ceremony. No drinks.

Yeah, I guess it looks quite sad compared to your ceremony, Bullet.

I delete the pilot and create a new one.

Ok, that's cool! But what really makes me want to crank down on my privacy settings... The "Ads by Google" bar at the bottom of your post is for "Grief Counseling!"

As for me, I don't do anything, as I don't get the much stick time, particularly in the summer. 2nd Lt. Thomas Dirtdigger is still laying on my hard drive platter, drumming his fingers and looking wistfully skywards... And if I took two shots of whisky quick like that, it'd be bedtime for me, or I'd kill my next pilot for sure - I'm a bit of a lightweight that way!

... if I took two shots of whisky quick like that, it'd be bedtime for me, or I'd kill my next pilot for sure - I'm a bit of a lightweight that way!

Like the flying and fighting, the drinking also needs quite a bit of training.

I guess compared to you our veteran Bullethead, you are a newbie there.

But that's nothing to be ashamed about.

Yeah, but you need at least one lightweight in the BOC to fall under the table and make a complete fool of himself after 2 O'Doul's!

...and form a cushion for the later fallers - Mmuahahahahahaaaa!!!!