Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

OT: Wings. Director's Cut

A full HD remake of Cinemaware's classic WWI Amiga game featuring never-before-seen content!

OMG - did we really play that? I didn't have an AMIGA and so I never played "Wings".

But I played "Wings of Glory", which looked much alike.

But I must say, that this line was rather written, cause in our memories, things seem to be growing:

The emotional impact that Wings’ game playing experience had on gamers has never been quite replicated in the history of the industry.

"Over Flanders Fields" has beaten anything I have ever played before, by far.

In my case, yes, Wings did had a big emotional impact. Bigger than OFF.

Also Dungeon Master, Elite and Operation Flashpoint are at that level.

OFF might be one the best games I have ever played, but it didn't had the same emotional impact as Wings had at the time for me.

Ah, I understand now, what you mean.

I must have missed a lot - I don't know any of the other games above.

An older game that struck me quite a bit was "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

Olham, I find that this can also be related with certain periods of our own lives. Because we were younger.. Or it was just the perfect game to be played at the perfect time.

This remake will not be able to recreate that, of course. The games and we as players have evolved. Our emotional response is not the same, demands more.

So OFF nowadays can fulfil us better than Wings could do now. But the impact that originally caused in me, as a player, was big.

And I bet a lot of people thinks the same.

Edited by Von Paulus

I absolutely loved Wings back in the early 1990s. I had Red Baron and Knights of the Sky, and they were both true simulators compared to Wings, but Wings really had a wonderful atmosphere.

I haven't played it for a long time though, only watched some YouTube videos to refresh my memories. But I have played both Red Baron and Knights of the Sky on Dosbox. They have aged really poorly.

Yes, I see what you mean. You were talking about the "power of the impact" this early game had on you.

Like the first kiss, the first love - even if you find a better lasting relationship later, the first time will

always remain a memory.

Here is a cute little video of the intro and the first mission of "Wings of Glory".

And watching it, I remembered the feelings quite well, that the characters talking and the music arose.

Edited by Olham