Olham

Beautiful Halberstadt

Found this photo on "Flickr", with no further info about the location.

The short text said even wrongly, that it was a Pfalz or something.

Does anyone know, where this aircraft is on display?

And can anyone identify, wether it is a Haberstadt D.II or D.III ?

Nice photo Olham, and a nice plane too. Can't tell you where it is displayed but I can say that it is the D.II model. The cabane struts tip into the center at the top and the ailerons are not balanced. The D.III had vertical cabanes, and balanced ailerons, (like the Fokker DR.I and D.VII).

Edited by RAF_Louvert
added information

You know, Olham, I was just going to post that I'd seen them there! I went through San Francisco on my way to Reno twice this summer. I felt bad that I didn't have a good camera with me to take pictures of them.

That said, the tail region on that thing looks a little odd. Is it accurate? I wasn't sure that these were actual aircraft.

And I checked the link- They aren't full scale. But very impressive nonetheless.

Edited by HumanDrone

From all the pictures that I have seen on the Halberstadt, the tail of the hanging plane looks original.

HumanDrone and Panama Red, your two avatars almost make a sequential slideshow here.

Thanks for the info; and I also found out that they are "scale models".

Damn - and I had thought I had found a very interesting paint job on an original Halberstadt!

Here are two "real" Halberstadts - the tail was quite simple indeed.

Edited by Olham

It's no wonder these early aviators called their aircraft "kites"! There's nothing to them! And you're up 5,000 or 10,000 ft or more! ~ulp~ Look a that fellow holding the tail up with one hand! Yowsir!

Thanks, Olham - those are nice shots! And yes, Panama Red's avatar comes from a little later in Snoopy's encounter with the Baron. Here is a collage I made up for the wall in my office/"cockpit":

post-55689-0-19565600-1344948747_thumb.jpg

Best,

Tom

I'm thinking the 1st one in the airport is a modern replica. Notice the entirely different airfoil sections between the pics. The 1st one has a thick, flat-bottomed airfoil while the 2nd has a thin, highly cambered section. There are also a number of minor detail differences, like the windshield, exhaust pipes, radiator arrangements, and cabane strut shape.

HD, your Snoopy collage reminds me of something that's bothered me since I was a little kid watching the "Great Pumpkin" for the 1st time. Snoopy is always said to be flying a Camel but as your pics show, he spends a lot of time shooting in all directions like he's an observer, not a pilot. And I knew, because I built model airplanes, that Camels didn't have swivel guns. But I also knew WW1 planes were subject to a huge amount of variation even within the same make and model, so I recall spending a lot of time looking for Camels with after-market swivel guns installed. I believe this was my 1st-ever military history research project ;).

I eventually satisfied myself that Camels had never had swivel guns. The closest they came was the twin Lewises on the nightfighters, which could go up and down but not sideways and backwards. So for a while, I thought Snoopy might have been flying a Dolphin, but decided that didn't fit the bill either. Finally, I decided that Snoopy was really flying a Brisfit and pretending at various times to be both the pilot and the observer, just as I did myself when I sat on my swingset and pretended I was flying a Brisfit :).

Now there's something that never even crossed my feeble little cortex! & just to show you that, to some extent, I share your "disorder", while all the other kids were pretending their bikes were various types of cars and motorcycles, mine was dressed sup with extra decals from my airplane kits - it was (to me) a P-51D Mustang!

& yes, these are indeed just replicas, not full scale.