RAF_Louvert

A Fresh Repaint For My Current OFF Pilot's Camel

Greetings All,

This weekend Captain Lewis Hamilton, CO of 45 RFC, learned that he and his squadron were relocating to the Italian Front. After the shock of this news passed he decided that the sunny slopes of the southern Carnic Alps might be just the thing to pull everyone out of the winter doldrums of a late December in Flanders. So, as soon as they were all settled into their new digs near the Piave River the Captain, in high spirits about the whole affair, ordered his Camel to be painted up a “proper Gypsy kite”. He now cuts quite a swathe as he does battle with the Phoenix D.1s and C.1s of the Austro-Hungarian air service, (many thanks Stumpjumper for those two OFF models).

OFF_Lou_Camel_45RFC_Italy_001.jpg

What a nice change of pace from the dreary old Western Front. :smile:

Cin cin!

Lou

And some day, I hope OFF/WOFF gives us an Italian Campaign too. :biggrin:

In addition to all that weight loss, a new avatar, a new paint scheme for your kite, and a posting to the Italian front! It doesn't get any better.

Wow, what a pretty girl!

She is colourful like a medieval jugglers family's acrobatic girl who walks over the marketplace on the high wire, with no safety net.

And yet, the colours are of the same dignity such a graceful girl would have through her courage.

Very nice job done, Lou!

Edited by Olham

beautiful skin once again lou :salute:

Beautiful!

Have I mentioned how great it would be to get the Italian front in WOFF? :biggrin:

I've just started flying OFF again after a break. I have a new PC now and everything works so much better than previously. :drinks:

Congrats, Hasse Wind - isn't it a step like from the Messerschmidt Bf109 to the Me 262?!

Whoosh!!!

Well, I dare say a dumbell is highly appropriate when one's kite is done up like a god-damn big top! What's wrong with PC-10? My fiancée liked the colour so much we're getting married in it... goes with her eyes and does, luckily, detract from her moustache.

NOTE TO SELF: Beer Goggles. Main point of issue, les Estaminets...

who what where, italy austria hungarian

Edited by stumpjumper

Hi Dej,

Very nice - looks like I'll need to brush up on my skinning skills - mind you I wouldn't fancy skiining like that on the near 400 I've done to date for OFF-WOFF :fie:

That's a pretty kite, Lou, but be careful. The Austrians used the red wingtips and white bands just inboard quite extensively so others on your side might shoot you before seeing your roundels. And the Austrians might complain you're not being sporting, wearing false colors.

I therefore suggest that you reverse the order of the colors, so the blue is outboard and red inboard, in the same order as the rings of your roundels. That's how the Italians do it, with the green outboard. That way, everybody'd know who's side you're on :).

Logical suggestion, Bullet, but I wonder if it would look as good as this order of colours.

And the only other nationality anyone might guess from this order would be the French.

Who were also Entente and on the same side. No problem.

Logical suggestion, Bullet, but I wonder if it would look as good as this order of colours.

And the only other nationality anyone might guess from this order would be the French.

Who were also Entente and on the same side. No problem.

Well, if Lou was still with us in Flanders, the current scheme wouldn't be dangerous. But he's on the Italian Front, where having the wings painted in broad stripes of the national colors was quite common on both sides, and unfortunately his scheme is of the Austrian pattern. So I'm just saying, "when in Rome..."

I don't know which flag you have in mind, Bullet?

Like most states, Austria-Hungary had a State Flag, a National Flag, and War Flags.

Here is what I found for "National Flag":

The Austrians frequently painted planes with red wingtips and white inboard. Sometimes with a 2nd red stripe inboard that, giving their whole flag on each wingtip, as shown here:

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/224/448306401_e8cd3b6736_z.jpg

There were, of course, a great many variations on this scheme, but the general rule was that red wingtips with white inboard meant Austrian.

Not to be outdone in such overt displays of patriotism (ironic in both cases given the weak seams then holding both polyglot nations together), the Italians went in for green wingtips with white inboard, sometimes with red inboard of that, or sometimes even green on 1 tip, red on the other, and white in the middle all across to create their whole flag, like this:

http://www.karaya.pl/thumbnails/max/product/473699eea5cee8ad3a81c5989fc2ccf586c345e2.jpg

I see what you mean - I found this painting of a Phoenix by Jerry Boucher:

Edited by Olham

That's a pretty kite, Lou, but be careful. The Austrians used the red wingtips and white bands just inboard quite extensively so others on your side might shoot you before seeing your roundels. And the Austrians might complain you're not being sporting, wearing false colors.

I therefore suggest that you reverse the order of the colors, so the blue is outboard and red inboard, in the same order as the rings of your roundels. That's how the Italians do it, with the green outboard. That way, everybody'd know who's side you're on :).

Interestingly enough BH, that is just what I'd originally done. But after giving it a go I'd felt it wasn't gaudy enough for the Italian skies.

OFF_Lou_Camel_45RFC_Italy_DF_001.jpg

:grin:

Interestingly enough BH, that is just what I'd originally done. But after giving it a go I'd felt it wasn't gaudy enough for the Italian skies. :grin:

Yeah, but at least nobody'd mistake you for an Austrian :).

As I said...

(I like to quote myself. Peppers my monologues.) :cool:

Edited by Olham