Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Syria rebels claim military Mig 23 fighter shot down

Do you has ever seen a civil MiG-23? :no:

You do in the US.

Interesting to note that both in Libya and Syria it's been a MiG-23BN going down that's made the spotlight.

The guys at ACIG are saying it was shot down by heavy MG fire. The pilot was captured by a rebel group. He is a colonel.The group that shot it down is NOT Free Syrian Army. They are the 'Revolutionary Youth of the Land of the Euphrates'.

http://www.acig.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6875&start=150

A fighter jet has crashed in eastern Syria owing to "technical problems"' date=' according to state media....[/quote']

Oh, but sure. 'Technical problems caused by ingestion of a MANPAD into the engine'... just like the USAF's F-15E over Libya, the last year. :D

'Training flight'... these four MiG-23BNs are bombing targets in this area since days! One of them got hit by one of MANPADs (note a 'detonation/launch' of the MANPAD and a thin trail of smoke seconds prior to explosion) the locals either captured in local warehouses (Dayr az-Zawr not only saw mass of Army defections, ever since the summer of 2011 but is practically the first city in Syria practically completely free of Assadists), or got over the border from Iraq.

The group in question appears to be one of few that is operating within the frames of the FSyA (keep in mind: although fighting against Assadists and thus with the same aim like the FSyA, not all the insurgents in Syria have joined the FSyA; indeed, that organisation is not particularly strong in the Dayr az-Zawr area).

The "why" is always hard to answer. It can be semi-rational...
Stefan... you're now going into 'could be' date=' would be, should be, might be' realms. Please have a look around this thread: we're attempting to report, reconstruct and explain what's going on on the battlefields of Syria. Ulysses is carefully studying dozens of videos and photos, Amrircos explains what's up 'in field' around Aleppo; I'm following the news and trying to assess what's going on in regards of fighting and where. We do not try to guess who could, would, should or might do - and I mentioned this issue solely because the FSyA commanders in Aleppo were attacking various local intel headquarters already since three weeks, and wanted to do the same with the main intel HQ too. I.e. within the context of 'who, why, where and how' about fighting. Also, I'm really tired of attempting to explain how the Syrians fighting this war against Assadists see the situation: if that was not enough, I really don't even want to try helping any more. Just please be so kind and leave that for some other place.[/quote']

I just want to send 1 flight of 4 F-22s to stand on station over Syria for a little while...

I really wish the Russian, Chinese, and Iranian leadership weren't running their traps in the UN or we would have had Assad either behind bars or dead by now. But the advantage of American technology is we could clear the skies in short time no matter what China or Russia says.

It's nice to be able to do that whenever the hell you want...

Edited by exhausted

The pilot was captured by a rebel group. He is a colonel.

Yikes the poor guy would be better of had he died in the plane crash...

This is him, allegedly. This video may be a violation of the Geneva Convention's law on parading or displaying POWs. Then again these guys aren't a part of any recognized state.

He doesn't look like he's being mistreated or harmed. A colonel has a lot he can tell you if you treat him right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=98T0gytt04Y

The guys at ACIG are saying it was shot down by heavy MG fire. The pilot was captured by a rebel group. He is a colonel.The group that shot it down is NOT Free Syrian Army. They are the 'Revolutionary Youth of the Land of the Euphrates'.

We are not the Judean People's Front! We are the People's Front of Judea!

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

Payback for that Phantom!

How do you figure ? That makes no sense. Did Turkey shoot down the aircraft ? No. So its not payback for the F-4.

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 1