Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

WOFF term "two weeks" at last understood!

A long-term study recently completed by the University of Research Nonessentials and Urbane Thought Sciences has at last uncovered the source of misunderstandings surrounding the OFF/WOFF use of the term, “two weeks”. Due to the fact that most civilized industrial societies around the world use the Gregorian calendar, which is divided into 52 seven-day weeks, the practical assumption made by those outside of the OFF/WOFF development group is that two weeks equals fourteen days. But this assumption is utterly incorrect.

Intensive research into the matter has unearthed evidence showing that members of the OFF/WOFF development group, or ‘WOFFites’ as they refer to themselves, use a calendar radically different from that noted above and one based entirely upon their own labor-to-rest time ratio reality. Given the standardized WOFFite work schedule of 272 days on followed by one day of relaxation, the WOFForian calendar week actually equates to 39 weeks on the Gregorian calendar. Herein lays the root of the misunderstanding. When a WOFFite indicates that something will be done in two weeks he is not in error but is simply making his statement based on the time frame in which he lives. For those outside WOFFite society however it appears the person making such a statement is a bold faced liar, or delusional, or trying to pull something. He is not. The WOFFite honestly means two weeks, but two WOFForian weeks which, unfortunately for the rest of us, equates to 546 days or 78 weeks on the Gregorian calendar.

So when will the two weeks that have been cited repeatedly as the completion timeframe by the WOFFites for their grand project actually terminate? While there was lengthy debate on this point amongst members of the research team at URNUTS, the generally agreed upon date when the ‘two weeks’ estimate was first made appears to be 23 June, 2011. Therefore, based on the WOFForian calendar week of 273 days, the actual project completion date should be 21 December, 2012. While this is also, oddly enough, the date the ancient Mayan calendar sets as the end of modern times and the beginning of a new world, researchers believe this to be nothing more than a coincidence.

For a complete transcript of the study, “Time Reference Disparities between WOFFite and Real World Societies”, contact Dr. Benjamin Whaddajahoo, Professor of Thinkology, Room 42, Arcane Building, University of Research Nonessentials and Urbane Thought Sciences, Pleasantville, Minnesota.

• Like 1

It's good to have that cleared up. But it begs the question: "What time of day will WOFF be released"? Could the dev's be prevailed upon to release it early in the morning so die-hard pilots can get some stick-time before the world ends?

Edited by Hauksbee

Hahaha - all that egghead research seems to explain something many people here are wondering about.

But if it comes to the hard facts - I bet the devs would say they never ever promised anything to be ready

"in two weeks" - be they Gregorian or WOFFite weeks.

I guess, Professor Dr. Whaddajahoo, Professor of Thinkology at the University of Research Nonessentials

and Urbane Thought Sciences will have to prove, that his quote about the "two weeks" was ever made by

any of the WOFFfites at all?

:read:

Edited by Olham

Isn't it obvious that WOFF will usher in the Brave New World? The universe won't come to an end on 21 December. Instead, we'll just change our way of dating things. The antiquated BC/AD system will be replaced by AW/PW (ante WOFF and post WOFF).

...and the devs will release a calender, in which the time may often warp like the whole space, according to Einstein...

Good old Uncle Albert One-Mug. He taught us all what it means to be relative.

...and last not least: he invented the "Rolling Stones" Logo.

Well, his name says it: he was a "Stone" really, wasn't he?

I see some plagiarism in here chaps... as at the old Combatace we have been using the 2 weeks thing as standard for anything and some of those projects have been going on since the dawn of time okay maybe 3-4 years... but we didn't do it scientific like we did it in the old tradition of down the pub style much more fun and interesting especially when we got round to the bar flying to define the set amount or not set amount of undefined time, time being relative to the situation as we see it or don't see it if you see what I mean... so 2 weeks is 2 weeks and no amount of time can modifiy that option... as some people think that planet earth has been around for a few billion years personally I think its been under the 2 week rule just in case it doesn't get weird enough and if it does it can disappear and reappear as something completly different and generally much weirder than what we have now... 42 do you see???

I think it's older than that in the SF community and originated on TW boards when TK used to give us "two weeks" as an answer frequently (I think it was about the release of WoE, but I may be wrong on that one)... Add a little Total Recall geekery and the adoption of the answer by many modders and there you have it.

Good old Uncle Albert One-Mug. He taught us all what it means to be relative.

No, that would be my West Virginian grand-pappy... :jester:

:wheelchair: Gunrunner, I 1st encounted the term "2 weeks" on discussion boards dealing with the ancient DOS version of Kesmai's Air Warrior MMOFS. That was back in the early 1990's....

But regardless of how "2 weeks" is measured, I think it safe to say that it's beem more than "2 weeks" since we got a new batch of WOFF screenshots. Last night I went back through the sticky thread above, marveling at all the cool stuff, and noticed that the last shots are from November 2011. IOW, we haven't gotten any all year.

well, I'll bet that we will all be dead by the time these last "Two Weeks" are finished.

Since P4 was announced I've....gotten married, had 2 kids, a herniated back and am close to my pension

Jeeze - you must have an accelerated metabolism! ...

:wheelchair: Gunrunner, I 1st encounted the term "2 weeks" on discussion boards dealing with the ancient DOS version of Kesmai's Air Warrior MMOFS. That was back in the early 1990's....

But regardless of how "2 weeks" is measured, I think it safe to say that it's beem more than "2 weeks" since we got a new batch of WOFF screenshots. Last night I went back through the sticky thread above, marveling at all the cool stuff, and noticed that the last shots are from November 2011. IOW, we haven't gotten any all year.

I wonder if that's because they are past the "eye candy" part (yeah, I love it, too!) and well into the loads of code optimization and generation of all the historical information... Now for me, I'm willing to wait, as I don't get a lot of "stick time" in the summer, but I imagine you more active flyers are getting mighty itchy!

Well, still not pics of the Gothas (and maybe Giants) that must exist given the attention to London's details, the searchlights, and the barrage balloons. No pics of Camel nightfighters with twin Lewis guns on the upper wing. And most disappointing of all, no pics of French 2-seaters of any kind, the absence of which would still leave the French and US sectors of the line not worth playing.

When did you last see through the screenshots, Bullet? The Gothas are there.

(Or maybe they were in one of the preview movies, not sure.)

Edited by Olham

I looked all through the sticky screenshot thread just a couple days ago. I haven't watched the movies lately, but I do recally on seeing Handley Page bombers, not Gothas. But anyway, there are definitely no French 2-seaters in evidence yet.

There have been a lot of new pictures since November in various places. There are new pics last few days on SimQH too. Not sure were you guys have been looking but even the website has much newer pics than November.

And of course <insert your favourite craft/item/feature> may not be in there, sure, we are a tiny team busting a gut round the clock trying to get OFF done, no one wants it finished and available for you guys more than us believe me.

There have been a lot of new pictures since November in various places. There are new pics last few days on SimQH too. Not sure were you guys have been looking but even the website has much newer pics than November.

Links, man, give us links! I thought this was the official forum and all :biggrin: . And I couldn't even find a screenshot section on the OBD page any more.

On our web just click on "media" for pics and movies including WOFF. Also in the news section we sometimes link to screenshots or movies that are posted elsewhere.

Yeah not sure how you missed that but the official forum is as Olham shows and also has some pics including one or two from the last week or so.

I have posted others here in the general forum more recently than November, but think you must have been awol at the time.

Ah, I was wondering why this place was so dead, but I put it down to waiting for WOFF and not hearing much about it.

Yeah you were probably not checking in at the time it happened for a that period (week or so) a while ago it was in the news area on the website at the time etc, and you'd have noticed CA was not available for a week or so at some point

Well, my internet connection is at best unreliable, so I figured it was a problem on my end.

BTW, PLEASE have a DVD version of WOFF. Trying to download something that big is out of the question for me, both in the time it would require and because it would totally blow my download limit.

Lou, just so it's not a Biblical two weeks (...ten thousand years is as but a day to Him...). :fie: