Sign in to follow this  
itifonhom

Lothar von Richthofen

Hi again guys!

Just another quick test rendering here, this time LvR giving chase to a Camel and as you can see quite successfully. 3D model from Pavel Zoch, textures by myself and the background comes from rOEN911 and it´s painted. Not really happy with the result, the materials must be tweaked a lot but I´m quite a beginner at this, so I hope to get better results in the future. But don´t wait, tell me what you think about it now! ;-)

post-52835-0-65636500-1345143046_thumb.jpg

It is very nice itifonhom, but I'm a bit confused. This is a collage made from parts of other artists' works which you then tweak and add texture to? I don't exactly understand what is being done here so if you could please educate me it would be appreciated.

Good rendering. It's got a lot of drama in it. If I recall correctly, you've downloaded the models, textured them yourself, and rendered over a background .jpeg?

It's a rendering of a Fokker Dr.1 3D model. The 3D model itself is created by P.Zoch. I used this model with textures I made and rendered this image using Cinema 4D, a 3D program. Further compositing with the background and the Camel was done in Photoshop. The Camel itself is a screenshot from RoF. So the important part, at least for me, is the Fokker here. My doubts concern the materials used on this model and their various aspects as specularity, reflections etc. Like I said, I'm quite new to 3D and even more newbie at this program, this is just my third rendering with C4D.

He has termed rendered many times. Looks good. How about a Billy Bishop? Didn't the Jasta's end up fearing him most? :biggrin:

How about a Billy Bishop? Didn't the Jasta's end up fearing him most?

The Jastas ended up - but they feared no one. Mmuahahahahahaaaa!!!!

First off ITI, that's a fabulous texture for the Dr.I. You should do more skins for OFF :).

Second, to my own inexpert eye, I think the Dr.I could do with a bit more shininess to better match the Camel, but also tone the Camel down somewhat, if that's possible given it's a screenshot.

From what I can tell, WW1 planes were in general pretty shiny. Even when they had drab fabric colors, the fabric was always painted over with clear dope. Even if this was more matte than gloss, it still filled in all the irregularities of the fabric and provided a very smooth, and therefore reflective, surface. For instance, in pics of planes taken on sunny days, it's not uncommon to see markings or objects on the lower wing's upper surface reflected onto the natural linen of the upper wing's lower surface.

This makes for a rather tricky look to duplicate with a computer. There's more reflection and shine off surfaces than their color alone would lead you to expect. I've never managed to pull it off very well. Either I get the colors right but they're not shiny enough, or I distort the colors and overall look by trying for the amount of gloss.

Nice iti. As BH says, a bit of work on the reflection channel of the material would be worth it. I generaly create a copy of the texture and block out wings, fuselage empennage etc in shades of balck through white depending on how refelctive they seem to be in old photos. I use a Multiply mix on the channel set initially to 15% and the Brightness set initially to 25% (these need tweaking for different textures).

Lighting will give you problems trying to do a composite of a 3d model over a 2d image of another machine, but you've done a very good job here. You might consider projecting your 2d image onto a plane in your scene, positioned so the camera sees exactly what you have above, it may help blend it in. Experiment with Global Illumination and Ambiant Occlusion in your render settings too... depending on your version of C4D.

Also Lothar seems a tad high in the cockpit, but that may be my error.

Edited by Dej

Thanks guys for all the constructive critique and helpful tips, I tweak the textures and materials as I write and another version of "Lothar" is on the way. Making a Reflection map is a great idea indeed, though it´s not really the Reflection channel that gives me problems, it´s the Specular one. Somehow I seem not to manage to show it "wet" enough but right now I got an idea and probably I´ll do it, it´s just a matter of time (and experience!).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 76.IAP-Blackbird
      Some additional Hi-Res shots of existing planes.
      Unless otherwise specified, these are HI-RES images of aircraft and vehicles in the SIM and are NOT an in-game engine render.

This is just showing off the artwork and detail. 

• By 76.IAP-Blackbird
      Hello Gentleman, 

Good Day and I hope you enjoy your time. 1C is under a new CEO and on the 9th November we will learn more about the direction the company will go in the future.
      Until then, let me show you some nice render of the ingame models for the Great Battle Series. There will be more to show in the future and I hope you guys will like it.

You can discuss it here and enjoy the bright future of this Series. 
      Wish you fun and always enough air under your wings. 

Berst regards 

Martin

• By GKABS

View File Giraffe 2D radar and 3d radar
      Hello and thank you for downloading my work.
      https://gkabs.net
      What's included:
      Giraffe 2D radar and 3d radar were requested by strahi.
      All my files should include the Strike Fighters 2 Series game file (.LOD) and the texture required.
      Installation:
      Copy the folder to Objects/GroundObject and the following to _TYPES.ini file
      [TargetTypeXXX] <-------- Change to the next number at the bottom of your type listing
      Name=GK-Giraffe-R2D
      FullName=Giraffe 2D radar
      TargetType=AAA
      UseGroundObject=TRUE
      GroundObjectType=GK-Giraffe-R2D
      ActiveYear=1985
      TargetValue=250
      RepairRate=0.555
      StartDetectChance=80
      StartIdentifiedChance=20
      IncreaseDetectChanceKey=10
      MaxVisibleDist=8000.0
      DestroyedEffect=SmallRocketGroundExplosion
      SecondaryEffect=VehicleFireEffect
      SecondaryChance=50
      [TargetTypeXXX] <-------- Change to the next number at the bottom of your type listing
      Name=GK-Giraffe-R3D
      FullName=Giraffe 3D radar
      TargetType=AAA
      UseGroundObject=TRUE
      GroundObjectType=GK-Giraffe-R3D
      ActiveYear=1985
      TargetValue=250
      RepairRate=0.555
      StartDetectChance=80
      StartIdentifiedChance=20
      MaxVisibleDist=8000.0
      SecondaryChance=50

If you need any further help please read the Knowledge Base at:

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/

LICENSE:
      You are allowed to use this model and everything included with it for personal non-profit use for Strike fighters 1 and 2. For use outside of this scope, you need to contact me for permission.
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Credit goes to the following:
      GKABS for creating the model (everything except the truck chase) and skins
      strahi for testing and making all the data file for the 2 models, big help many thanks, and I hope you will enjoy your request.
      The truck model is a free form https://free3d.com/ by ysup12 
      Credit goes to https://www.textures.com as a use a lot of their photos to create the skins.
      Google for some photos and information.
      And finally not to forget the wonderful site of https://combatace.com and all the nice members and their dedicated support for this game.
      Software used:
      3d Max 2009
      UVLayout v2 Pro
      Substance Painter
      Adobe Photoshop

If you need any assistance please contact me at 
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Submitter GKABS Submitted 06/23/2019 Category Ground Object Mods  
    • By GKABS
      Hello and thank you for downloading my work.
      https://gkabs.net
      What's included:
      Giraffe 2D radar and 3d radar were requested by strahi.
      All my files should include the Strike Fighters 2 Series game file (.LOD) and the texture required.
      Installation:
      Copy the folder to Objects/GroundObject and the following to _TYPES.ini file
      Name=GK-Giraffe-R2D
      FullName=Giraffe 2D radar
      TargetType=AAA
      UseGroundObject=TRUE
      GroundObjectType=GK-Giraffe-R2D
      ActiveYear=1985
      TargetValue=250
      RepairRate=0.555
      StartDetectChance=80
      StartIdentifiedChance=20
      MaxVisibleDist=8000.0
      SecondaryChance=50
      Name=GK-Giraffe-R3D
      FullName=Giraffe 3D radar
      TargetType=AAA
      UseGroundObject=TRUE
      GroundObjectType=GK-Giraffe-R3D
      ActiveYear=1985
      TargetValue=250
      RepairRate=0.555
      StartDetectChance=80
      StartIdentifiedChance=20
      MaxVisibleDist=8000.0
      SecondaryChance=50

If you need any further help please read the Knowledge Base at:

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/

LICENSE:
      You are allowed to use this model and everything included with it for personal non-profit use for Strike fighters 1 and 2. For use outside of this scope, you need to contact me for permission.
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Credit goes to the following:
      GKABS for creating the model (everything except the truck chase) and skins
      strahi for testing and making all the data file for the 2 models, big help many thanks, and I hope you will enjoy your request.
      The truck model is a free form https://free3d.com/ by ysup12 
      Credit goes to https://www.textures.com as a use a lot of their photos to create the skins.
      Google for some photos and information.
      And finally not to forget the wonderful site of https://combatace.com and all the nice members and their dedicated support for this game.
      Software used:
      3d Max 2009
      UVLayout v2 Pro
      Substance Painter
      Adobe Photoshop

If you need any assistance please contact me at 
      gkabs@gkabs.net
    • By Dutch_P47M
      I’m involved in this CFS3-project starting from OFF2 and did leave WoFF in favor of flying in VR.  Because of VR, I went to BoX only the whole FC1-VR is very sterile, overpriced as it’s nothing more then a cheap RoF swapjob done by Uglymedia and now all the reading about the N28, this plane seems a bit of an disappointing. So I would like to go back to WoFF, I do miss the atmosphere of flying the MS-parasol at the mountains in Belfort region as an sample.  Only one thing is keeping me away from BH&H2, =no VR

I know in the past it was not possible to rendering 3D in VR, but we are now a couple of years later. Are there any possibilities to transfer this WoFF game to 3D VR, with payware like Vorpx?  I would likely pay the VorpX or other software if it can generate the 3D in VR for BH&H2. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..