Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Bizarre Quirk

Last night I was experimenting with conjuring up demons and asking them questions about history. All went well until one of them, in a typical devilish trick, showed me a horrible photograph. It's a single-seat BE2c with an exceptionally weird paintjob, plus all sorts of strange aftermarket attachments. The mere sight of it gave me a new patch of gray hair :yikes:

WARNING: The attached pic is extremely shocking. Viewers risk permanent damage to their sanity just from looking at it. Please have your children leave the room....

See? Didn't I warn you? Take as long as you need to get your heartrate back to normal. Deep breaths. Perhaps an icebag for the head? I'll wait.

OK, now that you've recovered from the shock, and if you're not to traumatized to remember some of the graphic details, what do you think? Is this the product of a madman who cracked under the strain of having to fly the Quirk in combat? Or is it some nalicious psychological weapon intended to make German pilots gouge their own eyes out and leap from their cockpits upon seeing it? Or, worst of all, was this something from the post-war airshow circuit, whose effects, when unleashed on the general public, triggered the Great Depression?

post-45917-0-09329300-1345300655_thumb.jpg

I LOVE It!!

I want one!! :cool:

We hobbits are like this.. :smile:

Come on, I fly this..So beautiful..

Need a camel too.. :biggrin:

HH DR1 001

Edited by HouseHobbit

Is this the product of a madman who cracked under the strain of having to fly the Quirk in combat? Or is it some nalicious psychological weapon intended to make German pilots gouge their own eyes out and leap from their cockpits upon seeing it? Or, worst of all, was this something from the post-war airshow circuit, whose effects, when unleashed on the general public, triggered the Great Depression?

How about "All of the above?" And maybe, just maybe, it's the modeling of this plane that's holding up the release of P4.

Edited by Hauksbee

It looks as if he was dash two and someone in the lead craft got sick!

How about "All of the above?" And maybe, just maybe, it's the modeling of this plane that's holding up the release of P4.

Heaven forbid!

There's something very Lovecraftian about those geometrical patterns... :biggrin:

Pop Art Plane ? No, that's an insult. Does it could be an aircraft from an after war flying circus ? The upper attachements could be hooks for persons on the wings ?

BH,

I remember seeing a similar photo to this in the flypast magazine a few years ago. If I remember correctly this be (2 or 12 variant or model number it was), was rigged up for one of the first airshows after the first world war to confuse and confound the crowd. Perhaps if they had used this during the war the crews flying them would have had more chance of getting home, after all if you were flying against them would you have been able to stop laughing long enough to shoot one down.

I think it was flown by one of the farnborough test pilots.

A truly bizarre creation, if anyone can find more specific details I would be interested in learning them.

A truly bizarre creation, if anyone can find more specific details I would be interested in learning them.

You're a truly sick man :).

Now that I've managed to suppress my gag reflex and can stand to look it it for longer than a few seconds at a time, the weirder it gets. It looks like the struts have some dark fabric loosely and randomly attached. But what's that huge strut running from the cockpit through the upper wing? What's that tumorous growth on the fuselage just ahead of the fin? Why does it look like the left wings are rigged with back-stagger? And what's all that up on the upper wing? A 2nd set of wheels so it can land inverted? But then why put a weathercock there that sticks up higher than the 2nd set of wheels?

This is plane definitely belongs in the Museum of Diseased Imaginings.....

There's a photo of this plane in Datafile #42, from 1993. "[This was a] BE2c or 2d that was rigged with marked negative stagger, probably in 1918. It appeared as the BE2xyz in the RAF pageant of 1921, with a paint scheme that later generations might have called psychedelic, and with sundry additional accesories."

I wouldn't call it psychedelic, I'd call it what you see when you treat malaria with a mixture of laudanum and absinthe :).

The design is a bit inconsequent - the wires are all straight...

Horrific picture. Seems to me they should have spent all that time making it fly better instead.

I thought the whole problem with the NORMAL Quirk was that it flew TOO well. As in nice and steady, an ideal training plane :).

Good plane for survival training maybe - if you survive the "Quirk", you can survive anything...