It sems that so many people these days have such thin skins. One person states his opinion about another site and a so called service that he doesn't agree with.

You get another who states his opinion on the aforementioned remarks.

It makes for interesting reading.

What makes the difference of opinion a reason to lock a thread?? Isn't that one of the reasons forums exsist?

I personally agree 100% with the person who started the thread originally, and that's my opinion.

It sems that so many people these days have such thin skins.

That's definitely true for myself - I sometimes can see my soul shining through! :hyper:

One person states his opinion about another site and a so called service that he doesn't agree with.

You get another who states his opinion on the aforementioned remarks.

It makes for interesting reading.

What makes the difference of opinion a reason to lock a thread?? Isn't that one of the reasons forums exsist?

I personally agree 100% with the person who started the thread originally, and that's my opinion.

Maybe it was a very irritating title from the start.

But the discussion continues here:

The reason is not the difference of opinion, but the fact that 1) it was going nowhere and 2) that the OP wasn't here for an exchange of opinion but to deliver his absolute truth and belittle those not sharing it... and when someone like myself intervenes, it's a recipe for trouble and a mod decided to close it down before things became hairy and someone not ready for it made a complete fool of himself; That was the right decision.

I'll reiterate, my problem is not with "I don't like digital distribution services (from now on DDS)" but "I blame DDS for all the wrong things, most of which are simply lies and imaginary, and just can't admit I was wrong".

It never was about DDS, it was all about said member self-aggrandizing and showing contempt to people disagreeing with him, he did not want to listen to reason, he just wanted to show what a brilliant individual and rebellious mind he was, far too good to use DDS, in opposition to the masses of blind idiots disagreeing with him.

He bragged about his ridiculous hardware setup (come on, 4 low capacity SSDs in a RAID 0 ? 8Go of high latency OCed RAM ? what is he, 12 ?**), about the perspective supposedly given by his age, when that didn't work he switched to bragging about the "great" people he supposedly knew, when that didn't work he tried evasively to brag about his own accomplishments (without any solid information in case we could verify them or use them against him later when he'll claim something else).

There is also a cultural difference with what you call "name-calling", but I guess that's to be expected when painting millions of people with a wide brush as complete morons but not saying so directly is OK, but telling one individual making no reasonable arguments or using obvious lies that he is behaving like a complete idiot is out of the question...

** Let me explain that one, said member pretended being a hardware enthusiast and expert, having come to his current configuration through a lot of thought, research and testing.

With the kind of SSD he uses, the life-expectancy is inversely proportional to the capacity of the drive, so he deliberately chose the drive with the lowest life-expectancy.

With the kind of SSD he uses, the price-per-capacity sweet-spot is, depending on when and where he bought them, in the 60 to 240Go range, meaning that he is relatively paying more for less by going with the lowest capacity.

With the kind of SSD he uses, the drives performance of the lowest capacity drives are inferior to the other drives in the family.

Due to the SATA controller he is using and Windows 7 way of dealing with SSD, the read/write performance boost of RAID 0 SSD is denied by performance hits under certain kind of load, meaning that with his setup, he's getting less performance when most needed (One should note however that his choice of another SSD based solution for hosting his games was very good as it is suffering far less from such drawback).

To my knowledge, the particular controller for his system RAID array still doesn't allow the use of TRIM, meaning degrading performances over time as files are modified/deleted, which is a common occurrence on a system drive.

In short, had he gone for a RAID 0 array of 3x 60Go drives, he would have had equal or better performances, for 50% more capacity, a longer life expectancy for only a handful of dollars more.

Or he could have gone with a 120Go to 240Go single drive, at the cost of reduced theoretical peak performance and average performance but equal or greater capacity, better practical peak performance, better life expectancy, better performance over time, and far less money (as the dedicated controller would not be needed).

Of course that last solution sounds far less bad-ass and would yield only around 7.2-7.5 WEI and that would be unacceptable (remember, the global WEI is the lowest subsystem WEI).

Now, to the RAM...

There are HUGE price differences when it comes to the frequency supported and the OC supported.

He decided to go with a modest amount of high-speed RAM and OC it.

Trouble is, frequency is not the only parameter affecting RAM performance in a system.

Memory also has timings, let's make it simple by saying that frequency determines how often RAM talks/transmits to the rest of the system and timings determines how long it takes between receiving an order and executing it.

Usually, the higher the frequency, the higher the timings.

Some platforms and workload benefit from timings more than from frequency, others are the exact reverse and many are more sensitive to the capacity, regardless of memory performance.

On current Intel gaming platforms... timings are the most crucial element, with frequency having far less impact unless you go really high, and even then, you are better served by going for low-frequency, low-timing memory as 1) it's more stable 2) it requires less current and thus 3) it heats up significantly less 4) It's cheaper allowing you to field more capacity.

Once again, a bad decision due to the fact that he wanted something "top-of-the-line", he would have been better served by 16Go of low-latency, low frequency RAM, twice the capacity for up to half the price, however that wouldn't have allowed him to overclock his CPU (but who still cares about that ?).

Likewise, such a real-life performance based RAM configuration would yield a lower WEI...

One must assume that the careful thinking went more into optimizing theoretical benchmark bragging rights rather than adapting the hardware to the intended use and getting the most coherent configuration for the most stability, heat dissipation and money spent.

Edited by Gunrunner

I'm all for open exchanges of differing opinions. Hell, I've even been known to jump into the odd bar fight and throw punches with the rest of them. But the latter were literally face-to-face confrontations where you could look into the man's eyes in front of you and get a better sense of where he's coming from before you bloody his nose and he yours. What I am not a fan of are the online mix-ups that degenerate into nasty attacks and mud-slinging. One of the reasons this little forum has survived as well as it has is because the former mods tried to keep things civil, even in heated debates. Continue with the name-calling and inflammatory langauge, regardless of how wide or narrow the brush, and this thread will likely be locked down as well. If you want a knock-down drag-out fight there are plenty of other online venues around to take it to, but please do not bring them here. Better yet, if you really want the full experience, get face-to-face with the fellow you have such a difference of opinion with and discuss the issue in person. Takes the exchange of ideas to a whole 'nother level.

Thanks Gents.

Lou

But, Gunrunner, you're continuing the personal attack on him. Picking old posts, and inserting them here out of context, to illustrate your point it doesn't seem correct. Besides calling the other guy idiotic, doesn't improve either.

So soon, Tamper, will come and answer back, and again this will be locked.

Couldn't you continue to insult each other in private?

Edited by Von Paulus

What do you call a "personal attack", disagreeing on something and motivating that disagreement with facts and rational arguments ? Grow up will you !

Of course it is personal, the man is spewing lies, either deliberate or through sheer ignorance or mental issues; doing so he is implicitly and at times explicitly insulting people not sharing his opinion as well as propagating ideas entirely removed from facts.

Even if he does so based on ideals I share, it doesn't mean he should not be ridiculed for it. You can't dissociate the speech from the speaker.

What exactly is out of context, enlighten me... are yesterday's posts that old, especially when it IS the subject of this thread ?

Just because I'm forced to recognize the member in question has not made a valid point doesn't mean he's right...

Calling the individual in question a "son of a whore", now that would be an unsubstantiated claim, an insult and entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand, it would be indeed stupid and gratuitous and make me a complete asshole.

Calling him an idiot or a troll because it is easily demonstrated (as I did for most of his point, until he decided to claim I was misinterpreting his questions and objections, because you know, he is necessarily right, so if you disagree and object, it's obviously because you are too stupid to understand him) that he bases his vitriol on very poor research, faulty logic, self-centered bias, self-aggrandizing and immunity to facts is actually a very tame way of describing what he is... The logic he showed so far would be right at home with the "but Evolution is only a theory you know" crowd.

• Like 1

Okay, enough is enough. This thread is not bringing anything useful to the OFF community.