I happened to be doing a 'clean and reinstall' of my TW SF2 series (using that fancy web installer) when I got curious as to how much it would cost to buy all of the SF2 series and the 2 expansion packs (no DLCs).

At current pricing, the number was just shy of $200 USD. So, of course, I then decided to see how much that was per aircraft.

With no sub variants, and counting the Shahak and Nesher as one aircraft, I ended up with a total of 18 flyables, for a cost of $11.11 each.

Once I deleted SF2 itself out of the cost (assuming all aircraft and variants in SF2 are available in the others, and losing the Desert terrain and Mercenary campaign), the price dropped to $9.44 per aircraft.

Random thoughts while working on random stuff...

FC

Doesn't quite compute outside of SF2 unless one is willing to consider that in the DCS series a flyable plane is worth $22.5, interesting exercise but not necessarily a useful metric.

It serves however to put the price of full planes DLC into perspective.

However DLC's are all variants and not new planes, closest one to the "new plane definition" would be M5BA which was like...awsome...

Brain, these variants nevertheless require work and the original calculation already takes into account the variants themselves (but not yearly variations) rather than only the basic models (unless my top of the head plane counting was way off).

Well, I'd hope the DCS planes cost at least double, considering their fidelity level!

It was more interesting to me the amount of flyable aircraft you get in total. I had never counted until today. And not including the sub variants (one could argue an early F-4 is VERY different from a late model F-4)...

But it does give some idea of about how much an addon aircraft for the SF2 series will cost.

FC

and I remember me bitching few years ago about Rise Of Flight DLC flyables pricing... with new distinctive HQ cockpits and models with every plane... what was that then? 7,62 per plane?

Don't worry....TW probably calculated all the costs even before SF2 was released!With SF2V,you get all of the SF2 (standalone) flyable aircraft plus the F-8 and the 105.

Don't worry....TW probably calculated all the costs even before SF2 was released!With SF2V,you get all of the SF2 (standalone) flyable aircraft plus the F-8 and the 105.

Yeah. Who knows what the real cost would be for a stand alone "new" DLC aircraft. SF2NA just gave you the F-14 and an A-7. But the A-7 was just ported over from an existing title. That means it was $30 for the F-14 (plus other code/terrain changes).

It seems in general the cost per aircraft has gone up throughout the life of the series. SF2 by itself delivered all kinds of flyables, and then each title after that usually had less "new" aircraft to offer.

TK sure has milked the crap out of the old F-4, A-4, and Hunters. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

nothing wrong with that except I start to loose interest in A-4X mod Y after seeing it's basically 2008 model with few ini changes... ok this ain't fair as some DLC are well made and needed... just that most of the DLC cry for specific terrains/setup and we have yet to see Thirdwire addon terrain DLC...

TK could make agreement with folks like Wrench and at least point out the links to their 3rd party terrains which suits the DLC planes (Kiwi ones I mean)

Realistically, it doesn't cost any more to make one aircraft model over another. Cockpits are probably similar...the avionics references may change, but that's about it. I would imagine most of the cost of SF2NA was in the new avionics module, cruise missile interactions (ie targetable) and terrain engine.

FC

I start to loose interest in A-4X mod Y after seeing it's basically 2008 model with few ini changes...

Perhaps, TK didn't get the memo about making many planes with A-4 cockpit.

could paint them icky blue... :tongue:

Realistically, it doesn't cost any more to make one aircraft model over another. Cockpits are probably similar...the avionics references may change, but that's about it. I would imagine most of the cost of SF2NA was in the new avionics module, cruise missile interactions (ie targetable) and terrain engine.

FC

Dont forget the load of new ships and big bombers ... many completely new

The problem, ...or rather my problem is that I do not care for many of these aircraft. If you take the aircraft which you do not like out of the equation, the price per aircraft you want is going up. That is why I did not buy NA and the expansions (yes I know there is more in it...).

Therefore, I would not mind expanding the DLC system to "core"-aircraft. I don't want the A-7? I don't buy it. Want the Mirage, buy it. I know this is a rather unpopular opinion around here, but I think DLC might do some good if well used.

Perhaps, TK didn't get the memo about making many planes with A-4 cockpit.

Dont give them ideas for the next pit based DLCs

Dont forget the load of new ships and big bombers ... many completely new

Thats quite a list

Strike Fighters 2:North Atlantic

• Grumman A-6E Intruder (No Pit)
  • Grumman E-2C Hawkeye (No Pit)
  • Grumman EA-6B Prowler (No Pit)
  • Tu-16K-10-26 Badger C (No Pit)
  • Tu-16K-26 Badger G (No Pit)
  • Tu-16K-26_73 Badger G (No Pit)
  • Tu-16P Badger J (No Pit)
  • Tu-16P_72 Badger J (No Pit)
  • Tu-16RM-1 Badger D (No Pit)
  • Tu-22KD Blinder B (No Pit)
  • Tu-22M2 Backfire B (No Pit)
  • Tu-22M3 Backfire C (No Pit)
  • Tu-22PD Blinder E (No Pit)
  • Tu-22RD Blinder C (No Pit)
  • Tu-95RT Bear D (No Pit)
  • Yak-38 Forger A (No Pit)

Ground Objects

• CGN-36 California class Cruiser
  • CVN-68 Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier
  • Gearing FRAM IB class Destroyer
  • Kashin class Destroyer
  • Kiev class Aircraft Carrier
  • Knox class Frigate
  • Krivak I class Frigate
  • Krivak II class Frigate
  • LCC-19 Blue Ridge class Amphibious Command Ship
  • LHA-1 Tarawa class Amphibious Assault Ship
  • LPD-4 Austin class Amphibious Transport Dock
  • Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigate
  • Oliver Hazard Perry (82) class Frigate
  • Spruance class Destroyer
  • Spruance (82) class Destroyer

Weapons

• AIM-54A Phoenix
  • SA-N-3 Goblet (M-11 Shtorm) SAM
  • SA-N-1B Goa SAM
  • SA-N-4 Gecko SAM
  • RIM-2F Terrier SAM
  • RIM-7E/H Sea Sparrow SAM
  • RIM-66B Standard SAM
  • K10S (AS-2 Kipper) Cruise Missile
  • KH22 (AS-4 Kitchen) Cruise Missile
  • KSR5 (AS-6 Kingfish) Cruise Missile

As much as TK focuses on budget/profit issues, he is still an avid fan of aviation. TK has specifically mentioned that he prefers to release aircraft in groups so that rare or interesting types that only a minority would like have their cost covered by popular types that most people want. His theory is that If he produced addon aircraft, only the most popular would make back the time/money invested in them, which means only the popular ones could be produced. Of course, he totally defeated that objective with SF2NA as it released only one new flyable and perhaps the most popular flyable ever included in a TW release. The days of four or more new flyables per release are gone unless there is a massive change in the economics involved.

SF2NA as a whole and the F-14 in particular were less about additional aircraft/theaters and more about improved capabilities. With the Tomcat came its own avionics DLL, whereas other aircraft were able to use Avionics60/70 with just minor tweaks to the avionics.ini files. The Tomcat was also a brand new LOD, whereas most of the other LODs had their origins in SF1 which made for less work incrementally.

Of course, this also means that since the SF1 series has been completely ported to SF2, everything from here on out is either a revised existing LOD or a brand new creation. At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing an Iran/Iraq war scenario, which could use existing red LODs but add cockpits to make them flyable. That, and I would love to see a fully developed A-6 with the DIANE system modeled.

DCS is higher, but what of LOMAC/FC2? It's what, $30 for that?

So that's A-10A, F-15C, Su-27, Su-33, Su-25, Su-25T, MiG-29A, MiG-29G (granted it's almost an A), MiG-29C.

So if you say it's 8 planes, that's less than $4 each! Oh right, you MUST have LOMAC 1 first, so whatever that cost you + $30.

As for DCS, we'll see what it really costs per plane. MiG-21 will be $20, but I paid $50 for the Ka-50, $60 for the A-10C, $30 for Combined Arms, $20 for BS2 upgrade, $30 for FC2.

Oh, and until now we've had nothing but the Crimea since 1995. :wink: Ok, DCS moved it more to Georgia, they shifted it SE a bit, but it's still the Black Sea and ONLY the Black Sea.

They said there would be no math, I'm mathed out.

Well, I'd hope the DCS planes cost at least double, considering their fidelity level!

It was more interesting to me the amount of flyable aircraft you get in total. I had never counted until today. And not including the sub variants (one could argue an early F-4 is VERY different from a late model F-4)...

But it does give some idea of about how much an addon aircraft for the SF2 series will cost.

FC

From what i've seen on the 3rd party devs, every module will be around $39.99-$50

If it's a "DCS" module, I would expect that. If it's not at that level, I'd hope for less.

Either way, I'll be picky about what I get.

most of them will be around DCS Level

- Imported/Custom AFMs

- Integrated Systems, Realistically Modeled.

- Clickable Cockpits

The only one I have doubts about is the F-22, as i doubt there is enough info to accurately represent the flight model and the systems on a DCS Level.

I have a Feeling my Bank Account isnt gonna like DCS World too much, the same way it didnt like FS2002/2004/FSX

I know Iris F-15, F-14 and T38 are on my Must Buy List,

the F-18E/F, I'd have to see what other's say first.

The BAE Hawk is a Maybe, same with the Typhoon.

Edited by SkateZilla

I know Iris F-15, F-14 and T38 are on my Must Buy List

Hmmm...I'd be curious about the T-38...as any I have ever encountered didn't impress me (including, admittedly, my own)...

FC