Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

C-2 Greyhound looks like the #4 wire

Almost looked like a bubble of air coming off the deck gave it some extra lift just as it crossed and pushed it up, hence it almost missed #4 even.

On high aspect-ratio, straight wings, small changes in AoA lead to comparatively large changes in CL.

A slight gust or AoA-change thus could throw-off your approach easily.

"Still an OK trap."

Not with the 4-wire!

"Still an OK trap."

Not with the 4-wire!

0:14 paused it, 3 wire looks untouched. Looks like the 4 to me.

Edited by MAKO69

What I mean is that taking the 4 wire is not an "OK" grade for the pass as assigned by the LSO. One of my front seat associates here (ezlead perhaps) can confirm that but as I recall a 4 wire and an OK grade are mutually exclusive.

Still a trap and they all walk away from it! :)

What I mean is that taking the 4 wire is not an "OK" grade for the pass as assigned by the LSO. One of my front seat associates here (ezlead perhaps) can confirm that but as I recall a 4 wire and an OK grade are mutually exclusive.

Still a trap and they all walk away from it! :)

Rgr that, more than just grabbing the wire is graded right? I graded it as "OK", from what I saw it looked pretty smooth on the approach, the plane didnt move around much at all. I also wasn't on the port side facing the plane closer to the glide path.

Edited by MAKO69

As an NFO, my view was a "safe stop". :biggrin:

But watching the fun and excitement of the LSO debriefs was always entertaining!!

Edited by Typhoid

Landing Grading System:

OK with a 5.0 = Assigned to a perfect trap. [Very rare]

OK with a 4.0 = A trap with small deviations corrected with precise and timely actions keeping the aircraft on-speed, on line-up, and on glide slope. [Above average trap]

(OK) with a 3.0 = This is for "fair" trap, one where larger deviations occurred, and the corrections resulted in slightly over-control. [Considered an average trap in the fleet.]

Bolter is a 2.5 = This is a below-average approach, requiring a fly-around (Bolter) and re-entry into the recovery pattern. [And going around for another pass could mean a fuel shortage issue, other a/c having to wait longer and forced into a fuel problem, etc.]

Waveoff is a 2.0 = "Paddles", the LSO, gave a wave-off, because the approach is so bad it is not safe for the a/c to attempt a landing on the boat. [A "Waveoff" can also occur due to a "Fouled Deck" which is no fault of the pilot, and thus does not count as an aborted landing.]

No Grade is a 2.0 = A no-grade pass is given to an approach that required large corrections and the pilot was slow to correct them. It can be awarded for a landing where the most aft arresting wire, #1, was caught. [This is a below-average approach. If one catches the #1 wire, the a/c came dangerously close to striking the "rounddown", or ramp, at the aft of the flight deck.]

Cut is a 0.0 = Awarded to a seriously flawed landing, risking possible damage to the boat, the aircraft, or endangering the flight deck crewmen, and failing to respond to the LSO directions. [To many of these and a Naval Aviator's career is over.]

Source: http://a4skyhawk.org/2e/flt-ops.htm

No mention of #4-wire grade-reductions.

That seems to indicate 2, 3, and 4 are all acceptable, although obviously only #3 could net you the top scores. Seems you could get a 3.0 with a 4 wire.

I guess it would depend on the conditions...

A fine approach under adverse conditions, snagging wire #4, would propably get a good grade anyway.

I recall a 4 wire being a (OK) as the highest, with an OK being limited to the 3 wire (or 2 wire on Midway as we only had 3 wires rather than the usual 4.)

But that was a long time ago and I was an NFO, not the pilot. The grades were A Big Deal between the pilots and squadrons.

LSO would grade OK in groove,OK in close,caught gust at the ramp,4-wire. It was acceptable,but not OK.

LSO's that I knew would give OK only on a 3-wire trap. You would get graded on 4 phases. In groove,In close,the ramp and which wire. They would be posted on the "Greenie Board" for all to see.

Yes Typhoid,the LSO's would love to get you going on the debrief.(Such names as Hamburger,HamFist,Dilbert,Gomer Pyle-for the Marines,Lt.-Joe s**ttheragman,etc.) These were the nice ones. Sometimes it got really ugly and embarassing. Which the LSO and other pilots loved.