Sign in to follow this  
ianh755

Decals - Strange warping/reversing etc?

Hi there, I've got a strange issue with decals warping, showing up in two places or reversing halfway through (see pic below). The skin mapping is fine (there's a word on the skin below the decal which is fine) so what could cause this on a model. It happens on different decals placed in the same place so I know the decals fine and it must be something like "decal mapping" if there is such a thing????

In this pic it's like there's a strip which reverses the decal but the skin shows no reversing on the word just off-frame? Any ideas???

PS It also happens in other locations too on this model.

Edited by ianh755

How old is the model...early models if not built in a certain way would do this sort of thing.

FC

Ah that'll be it then, it's an old model I'm working with.

Yeap, tweaking some INAS Sea Harrier skins.

There's 2 Sea Harrier models, one fits the skin templates I have making them look amazing and the nose section is spot on but it's older and is missing a few bits and on the newer one the nose section mapping/model is very poor in comparison but the model is newer and the rest of the model is slightly better.

I'm using the older model at the moment but it needs some tweaking to bring it upto SF2 standards and to add the bits missing which are on the newer model.

what is the age of the models you have m8 ? BPAo and I were working on these before his death & I have quite a few different max files for them, I can remember Oli fixing the tail issue but I'd need to check on the nose issues.

The model I'm using is from ChrisBV's Op Corporate pack which he says is by "Monty CZ and BPAo" so you may have the right bits Ant.

Here's a breakdown of the differences - I'll call the Op Corporate version "model A" and the newer one "model B", both are in an identical skin. Basically Model B is the better overall model but the nose mapping/modelling ruins it so Model B needs Model A's nose section (or Model A needs all of Model B's updates!)

Model A Nose - Best Nose for skin templates and the nose looks modelled better

IndianSeaHarrier15.jpg

Model B - Model looks stretched and bent up (copy both pics and flip between the 2 in windows), Pitot probe is poor and doesn't match any skin templates

IndianSeaHarrier16.jpg

Model A - Missing RWR from tail but tail boom looks correct shape. Ventral fin VHF AE in wrong place and Elevators slightly the wrong shape.

IndianSeaHarrier17.jpg

Model B - Got RWR but tail boom looks thinner, stretched out and shaped wrong. Ventral Fin AE position and Elevator shape correct.

IndianSeaHarrier18.jpg

Model A - Wrong shaped and positioned Anti-Coll light and UHF Ae's behind cockpit, missing 2 Vent Fins from RH side (one on cold nozzle and one below cold nozzle)

IndianSeaHarrier19.jpg

Model B - Best Light and Ae's and has 2x Vent fins.

IndianSeaHarrier20.jpg

Hope that makes sense to someone!!!!!!

Edited by ianh755