Sign in to follow this  
Geary

How to Place Decals Tutorial

Isn't there a tutorial around here on how to place decals?

I could swear I read this in a KB somewhere here, but can't seem to find it now.

I want to know how to adjust the Position numbers in the Decals.ini file.

I know there are two sets of numbers and one set moves the decals left to right and the other set moves it up and down, but crap the left to right number set is chapping my backside. :censored:

Anyhelp finding the magic number code book is greatly appreciated.

Geary

There probably is a tutorial, but, it is actually very simple. The numbers describe a point in 3 dimensions in meters via X,Y,Z, from negative to positive:

X is Left/Right

Y is Aft/Forward

Z is Down/Up

So 0,0,0 is the center of the model, but -3.00,2.00,1.00 would describe a point 3 meters left, 2 meters forward, and 1 meter up.

Now, Decals are only 2 dimensional, so depending on which way the decal is pointing, one of the dimensions isn't used:

For instance, if a decal is TOP/BOTTOM, then only X,Y is used, FRONT/BACK means only X,Z is used, and LEFT/RIGHT means only Y,Z is used.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

FC

FC,

Got the theory.

So, if I want to move a decal to the left, I subtact from the first set of numbers???? To move to the right, I add to the first set of numbers?

Example:

I'm trying to move the Stars-and-Bars on the MD-450 to the left, closer to the '04' number on the nose.

I also want to move the kill icons above the number to the right under the pilot/canopy.

So... any help?

Look in the decal.ini file and compare the coordinates of the stars and bars decal to the coordinates of the number decal. Figure out what the difference is on the Y axis (which will be the first number) then add half of that difference to the stars and bars Y coordinate. Your stars and bars will now be closer to the number decal by half the distance. This should give you an idea of the scale your working with when you change the coordinate. Its mostly trial and error but you will get the hang of it and figure out roughly how much increasing or decreasing a coordinate will move the decal on the model. After each edit you need to fire up the game and see what effect it has had- eg how much the decal has moved etc.

Edited by dtmdragon

OK, I got the items moved to where I want them, Thanks for your help guys. Now I have a problem with the numbers.

I'm pointing to the USMCNum in the decal.ini file to number the planes, but it only uses the number 04 for all the planes. I tried the USNAttackNum and it only used 304 for all the planes.

I also tried putting the numbers in a D folder and pointing to the folder and created a numbers.lst file. Still only get the 04 number on all the planes, no matter what number I choose in the hangar.

How do I get this to number the planes sequentially?

Wrench,

That got it. Thanks for the 'Level=2' item and the decal tutorial. I was half sure I'd seen something like that here.

Thanks, :salute: