swisher

Getting Jan Tuma's Tiles onto the Eastern Front

I've found myself quite enjoying the Eastern Front mod lately. The stock terrain was a little bland on the retinas, so I added Jan Tuma's tileset and it looks pretty good. If you'd like to give it a try, it's pretty simple.

Have Jan Tuma's Seasonal Terrain Pack handy. Since the Galicia terrain uses the Cambrai CAT files, you'll be needing the DATA.ini and all of the tod files.

- install Stephen1918's Galicia terrain as per the instructions

- make a copy of your Galicia terrain folder as a back-up, just in case

- copy the WWICambrai_DATA.ini from Jan Tuma's pack and rename it Galicia_DATA.ini (only the DATA.ini, the WWICambrai.ini will not be used)

- drop the newly named Galicia_DATA.ini in your Galicia terrain folder, allowing the overwrite

- copy all the tod files from Jan Tuma's Cambrai folder to your Galicia terrain folder

- copy the seaonal_tiles folder and drop it into you Terrain/Terrains main folder (not the Galicia folder)

- now open your Galicia.ini and copy/paste the following after the [Map] entries section

[WeatherChance]

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=17

InclementChance=4

[season001]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Deep_Snow

StartDate=12/15

EndDate=02/14

ScatteredChance=20

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=25

InclementChance=3

[season002]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Deep_Snow

StartDate=02/15

EndDate=02/31

ScatteredChance=20

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=25

InclementChance=5

[season003]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Snow_2

StartDate=03/1

EndDate=03/31

ScatteredChance=15

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=20

InclementChance=15

[season004]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Early_Spring

StartDate=04/1

EndDate=04/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

[season005]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Spring

StartDate=05/1

EndDate=05/31

ScatteredChance=40

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season006]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Spring

StartDate=06/1

EndDate=06/31

ScatteredChance=40

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season007]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Early_Summer

StartDate=07/1

EndDate=07/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season008]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Summer

StartDate=08/1

EndDate=08/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season009]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Summer

StartDate=09/1

EndDate=09/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season010]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Early_Fall

StartDate=10/1

EndDate=10/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season011]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Fall

StartDate=11/01

EndDate=11/20

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season012]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Snow_1

StartDate=11/21

EndDate=12/14

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

Now Jan Tuma's superb tiles should be placed on Stephen1918's terrific map!

What I did was convert Stary's WWI terrain to the Eastern Front versus Jan Tuma's. I think Stary's looks a little closer to Eastern Europe than Jan's Tuma's (which looks better for Western Europe IMHO).

This way I am able to keep Stephen1918 special Eastern Front tiles in the game. If you use Jan Tuma's terrain, it obliterates Stephen 1918 special tiles, and those are needed to show the true nature of the Eastern Front Campaign versus the Western Front.

As soon as I take some in game pictures, I will post the two adaptations I made of Stary's terrain for the Eastern Front. They are titiled "More Trees" and "Most Trees". The main dofferences between the two is "More Trees" has more trees than the standard Cambrai terrain, but still keeps the original Town Buildings. With "Most Trees", I have even more trees than the first version and I have the old walled cities included versus the typical Cambrai cities.

What I did was convert Stary's WWI terrain to the Eastern Front versus Jan Tuma's. I think Stary's looks a little closer to Eastern Europe than Jan's Tuma's (which looks better for Western Europe IMHO).

This way I am able to keep Stephen1918 special Eastern Front tiles in the game. If you use Jan Tuma's terrain, it obliterates Stephen 1918 special tiles, and those are needed to show the true nature of the Eastern Front Campaign versus the Western Front.

As soon as I take some in game pictures, I will post the two adaptations I made of Stary's terrain for the Eastern Front. They are titiled "More Trees" and "Most Trees". The main dofferences between the two is "More Trees" has more trees than the standard Cambrai terrain, but still keeps the original Town Buildings. With "Most Trees", I have even more trees than the first version and I have the old walled cities included versus the typical Cambrai cities.

I did the same. I used Stary's tiles too. They fit perfectly with Stephen's tile selection.

Here are some pictures showing the improved Eastern Front with (1) more trees, (2) better cities, Stephen1918's (3) old battlefields and Stephen1918's (4) transition tiles between old and new battlefields.

I like it! How about winter tiles?

Currently there are no winter tiles because, (1) none of Stephen1918 three campaigns are in the winter, and so (2) he never made any Spring, Autumn or Winter matching tiles.

Now if we could just get some of our "artist" FE/FE2 friends to make those matching Spring, Autumn and Winter tiles, we could play all four seasons on the Eastern Front since Stary already has the matching Sprong, Autumn and Winter terrain features.

That looks really great! still puzzled how you matched up the frontline textures to the rest of it. I gave it a quick try using Stary"sTiles and retaining the original Galicia frontline but it didnt work for me at all.

These are seasonal tiles from Stary's Terrain upgrade. These work w Stephen1918's Galicia terrain. True that they are not needed for his campagin but are good to use in singles missions.

post-33545-0-10704200-1346763570_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-18200000-1346763572_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-69871300-1346763574_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-68874700-1346763576_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-69820000-1346763579_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-15525800-1346763582_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-64166200-1346763584_thumb.jpg

That does look nice! Did you guys use the Galicia data ini or Stary's seasonal upgrade data ini, or a combination of both?

This is the modified Galicia_Data.ini file I created (FE2 optimized). It does require you to extract ALL of Staty's ".tod's" files plus his three tree and two city1.tga's for it to work. Look inside this Galicia_data.ini file and you will see all the Stary files required.

I did ask Stary nicely yesterday if he could modifiy his Western Front FE/FE2 Seasonal Terrain for the Eastern Front (so we can use all the seasons) and he said to give him time.