Sign in to follow this  
bras

keyboard control question

I am new to this game and wanted everything set to easy mode until I get the hang of things. I set various command functions to my joystick (logitech 3D Pro) but would like to change them, the trouble is I have no idea how to revert back to the default settings. Can anyone help me?

Lastly, Can anyone tell me which commands on easy mode are absolutely must haves. There is a slew of radar commands and targeting commands, but I'm unsure what to choose. I only have 12 buttons on my joystick.

Thanks...

you can't fit everything on a joystick, you're going to get have to get used to keyboard and key combinations sooner or later.

If you don't have TrackIR you're going to have to give up some buttons to use for view controls. I think visual targeting commands are a must-have in both hard and easy mode when flying in dogfights, in easy mode the visual targeting also acts as Radar Targeting (AiM-7 missiles). Having Next/Prev weapons on joystick also helps.

Yeah, I forgot to say I have trackIR all hooked up and good to go. Any thoughts on how to change the keyboard commands I made back to default so I can start over again?

Go into your controls folder in the mod folder and delete it, then start the game and it will generate a new default control ini....... Then in and copy the default.ini and rename it so you will always have a default backup

Maybe I'm not looking hard enought but I am not finding a mod folder in my thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2 folder. The only folders I have are core, DLC, DX_redist, flight, manual, menu, Objects, Speech, Terrains, and util.

Yeah, I forgot to say I have trackIR all hooked up and good to go. Any thoughts on how to change the keyboard commands I made back to default so I can start over again?

good, since you use TrackIR you can set the Number Pad as Radar Commands, I think it's easier than the default. I use "4" and "6" as select Next/Prev radar target and "5" to select target

Maybe I'm not looking hard enought but I am not finding a mod folder in my thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2 folder. The only folders I have are core, DLC, DX_redist, flight, manual, menu, Objects, Speech, Terrains, and util.

You will be able to find what you're looking for in "C:\Users\*username*\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2"

Edited by RogerSmith

Thanks Roger that did it. I take it if I want to add aircraft skins I need to drop them in the Objects/Aircraft/Type of plane folder? I downloaded the F4 skin pack but am unsure if it works ingame yet. I'm mostly interested in the sundowners and jolly rogers F4 skins.

"I use "4" and "6" as select Next/Prev radar target and "5" to select target" I will use this also so i can free up some more keys on my joystick. As i said before I just want to dogfight Migs and not have to worry about air to ground stuff just yet. Any other suggestions for the game?

yes, but most importantly:

READ THE READMES THAT COME WITH THE SKINS/AIRCRAFT/GROUNDOBJECTS/TERRAINS

If the uploader has done a proper job (and I get all over them if they don't!!!), all the instructions necessary are 'written down' for you.

also, as you're new to the game, I'd really suggest going over the SF2 Knowledge Base -- start at the top (1st therad) and read them all. It'll give you good working basis from with to start

Any other suggestions for the game?

study each weapon.

If starting from the runway, use Trip Skip (ALT+N) if you think the distance to mission is too much

Don't crash.

Ok thanks for the info wrench. From going to the knowledge base it looks like I just create a folder titled Mods correct? I then drop any mods folders inside it and the game should recognize it. The skins looks easy to do, I just check the readme that comes with each skin so that should be good to go. I do have a question though about aircraft carriers. can someone recommend the best carrier mod to download. I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of different mods to install and might have missed something. I'm looking for a carrier that has more aircraft on its deck and maybe some deck crew on it too. Thanks..

actually the "mods folder" is automaticly created the 1st time you run the game's exe. We just call it that for convience (and the fact that very few of us have one that unmodded!! :biggrin: )

There is a real name for it, but can't remember. However, I DO remember the stuff down in the /ProgramFiles(x86) is called the 'core install'.

well, personally, I like the stock ones, as the game generates parked aircraft. However, for a more busy deck, there's SkateZilla's Nimitz class (don't remember what name it's using this week ... CVN-75 or something??)