UK_Widowmaker

OT New world record

http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-19422354

This made me smile...one can imagine a fist-fight in a remote Scottish Ale House between these guys!...lol

"It was very exciting to find the bottle and I couldn't wait to open it.

"It's like winning the lottery twice."

'Immensely proud'

He said his friend Mark Anderson, who had set the previous record in 2006 on board the same vessel, was "very unhappy that I have topped his record".

"He never stopped talking about it - and now I am the one who is immensely proud to be the finder of the world record message in a bottle."

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Damn, that bottle was launched just before the WW1 dominos started falling. Reminds of somewhat of Shackleton, who was shocked to learn that WW1 was still going on when he finally got back to civilization.

And there's still about 1400 of them out there, so there's a good chance of breaking this record again :). I wonder how much 6d from 1914 is worth today?

Edited by Bullethead

What makes me wonder is: the bottle was dropped into the sea from Scotland,

and then it was found by Scottish fishermen again, more than 90 years later?

Does that mean, that the waters do not move much around?

What makes me wonder is: the bottle was dropped into the sea from Scotland,

and then it was found by Scottish fishermen again, more than 90 years later?

Does that mean, that the waters do not move much around?

That would certainly appear to be the case, at least off the coast of Scotland. Though bottle have of course travelled thousands of miles..... I can't help thinking, that this experiment was something to do with U-Boats...or rather, how the tides would effect their navigation...I don't know if I feel that merely because of the date however

From reading the article, it seems the bottles were designed to sink after a while, so they probably couldn't have gone very far from their launch point.