Sign in to follow this  
Geary

What Causes Some SF1 Planes to Go Blurry

Does anyone know what causes some SF1 planes to go blurry in SF1?

They look great in SF2.

I've updated my video card to the latest drivers.

I've tried different resolution settings and screen ratios in the game's options menu.

I've changed the skin bmp's resolution both up and down.

Still blurry.

My Computer stats:

- Intel QuadCore i5-2310 3.1GHz CPU

- Asus P8H61-M 1155 FC-LGA Socket Intel Sandy Bridge-

DT IMC / Cougar Point H61 Chipset

- 8GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 667MHz RAM (2x4GB)

- 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 PCI-E Video Card

- MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Any ideas?

This plane is Wolf's SF1 P-51D-30 from way back when.

Texturset?

I've always had blurry skins look like that when I optimize Textureset for bare metal skins. I want a high shine, but then painted on details go blurry. I erase the painted details and if possible replace them with decals, which work phenomenally in this game.

Here's my TexSet for shiney metal, it but smudges and blurs painted on details.

Specular=1

Glossiness=0.1

Reflection=1

...and for not so shiney white (like F-106), or cammo...here painted on details look tight and work great.

Specular=0.3

Glossiness=0.1

Reflection=0.5

^ I mixed these two up at first poast, now corrected.

Also, for shiny metal skins, I darken them to increase the contrast between areas that are reflecting sunlight to the viewer and other areas that are not. Silver in general is a "dark" colour since so much light is reflected away, unless the viewer is in the direction of the reflected light. Gloss vs Dark.

What's cool is that I read they researched (Korea maybe, or WW2) that gloss black was better than flat black for night operations, and I guess its because gloss looks darker than flat except for the (relatively rare) times the viewer/sun/moon is in position to see large areas that reflect light to the viewer.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

LL,

Neither of those textureset settings worked but gave me something to think about and tinker with.

Strange that these skins went blurry this way in SP1 and look great in SP2, so I'm also guessing it may have something to do with the way the different games and/or DX versions for XP and Win 7 (64-bt) render the skins.

For better looking graphics in SF1 you can edit the FlightEngine.ini,(extracted from the FlightData.cat).

I'm running XP 32bit And this looks good. I took a FPS hit, but I can live with it.

//x4

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=4096

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=2048

MaxLightPerScene=512

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

Raven

Those are the settings already in my flightengine.ini file but you did bring to mind the blurry problem happened once when I added a Razbam flightengine.ini file that came with one of their Skyraiders packages.

Maybe I need to replace it with the default and see what happens???

The settings I posted are a tad lower then the Razbam on a few of the entries. I'm still playing with it caus I upgraded my ATI to a 1Gig DDR2. I would like to see what you come up with.

Deleting the flightengine.ini file cleared up the fuzziness. Now the just look sun faded. Need to figure out how to darken the entire skin.

What cat file extractor are you using for SPF1. None of the extractors I have work with the Nov. 2008 SPF1 installs I have. Could also be my operating system.

If I can extract the flightengine.ini file again, I'll try your setting on the default .ini file and see what happens. Need a cat file extractor that works first.

ehm, could it be that you choose a low resolution in the options menu?

Gepard,

The resolution is set to unlimited. But I experimented with it by changing it to different resolution settings and none of them fixed the blurry problem. Deleting the flightengine.ini file cleared up the blurry problem. I think I placed a third-party flightengine.ini file in there that caused the problem.

But now I can't extract a new flightengine.ini file because none of the cat file extractors I have works.

Are there any of the 2008 era cat extractors in the download sectioni?

That's why I try to back up everything, multiple times, in case I lose or break something and I need it again.

you need to 08 level extractor; it's somewhere in the SF/Wo* Tools and Untilites section. If not, I'll find my archived one and upload it.

you sould be able to use Gerwin's on 08 levels...

btw, that skin exists for the SF2 Mustang ... it's sitting on my HD, with the correct nose are for Col. Hess

L_L,

I usually back up everything multiple times, but seem to have missed older cat extractors.

Wrench,

If the 08 level extractor is in the SF/WO* tools and Utilites section, I can't find it. Could you please upload it.

I reworked another Mustang into the F-51D for my Korea install. Have a ROK and USAAF skin for it, but for Wolf's mustang there's a skin pack with skins of four countries that flew the F-51 in Korea. I want to use it for AI eye candy.

If it helps, I have always put Extractor, mission editor, weaps/gun editor, etc... into a special folder inside the SF game folder. So when I copy-paste the game to a backup hard drive, all that stuff gets backed up too. That keeps the basic game folder clean and tidy.

L_L, Good idea. I used to do the same thing, but with updates, they eventually quit working, so I deleted them and moved on. So, maybe finding the *editors that work with the Nov 2008 installs I'll go back to doing that.

Yep, there is something nice about not worrying about updates, ever. lol

it's called 'being behind the curve' :biggrin:

geary, if you have SF2:I expansion pak with the mustang (or, afaik, WoI's expansion pak, for 1stGens), the available skins should work them.

there's a BUNCH of that era skins in the SF2 D/L section.

I'll zip up the extractor, and uploads ASAP.

REMEMBER: if you're on Vista or Win7, place the extractor's folder on the Desktop, NOT into the users or program files. Otherwise it won't work.

Yea, that's right. I forgot to mention, my SF-1 has its own folder of my choosing, and on its own drive partition.

Extractor works fine there, but I never tried SF in its "default" install location. So Extractor won't work if its in the default game folder? Wow.