Sign in to follow this  
Spider

Hello, and 3DS Max Question

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and would like a question answered.

I am ready to buy a copy of 3D Studio Max on eBay and since this is a considerable investment I want to establish what my best decision should be. Specifically I want to make sure that the export plug in for SFP1/WOV and MSFS will work well with the version of Max that I purchase. I would like to know if Max version 5, 6, or 7 work equally as well as version 4 with the export plug in.

Thanks for all the great tutorials and freeware, I'm having fun flying 60's era combat. Thanks especially for the Russian planes!

Spider

I would like to know if Max version 5, 6, or 7 work equally as well as version 4 with the export plug in.

I know that there is a plug-in for 6 & I think that it works with 7...

I know that there is a plug-in for 6 & I think that it works with 7...

Thanks for the reply Buff, I'll post again on this thread when I know what version of Max that I end up with.

Guest capun

It has been reported at ThirdWire's Beta Forum that the Max6 plug in does work with Max 7.

So you need to use the Max4 plugin for Max4 and Max5

I would not get anything below Max4. Max3 requires a hardware plug (dongle) and it's fairly buggy.

Best choice is Max5.1 in the used market. Max6 and Max7 are fairly new and expensive.

BTW, another choice is the educational version, you get a full blown package for $600, you "Need to be" a teacher or a student from K-12 and University level.

Thanks Capun for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated.

Are Max 4 through 6 files openable in versions through Max 7? I would not like to make a bunch of work that I could not keep current in the future. I presume that the Max Object hierarchy and naming conventions apply to all versions of Max?

Spider

Guest capun

Spider

Yes. files are upwards compatible, so if you do it in Max4 you can open them in any newer revision.

The other direction is not true. So if your file is in Max 5.1, Max4 cannot read it. There is a sort of work around. You Max 5.1 can be exported to the 3DS format, then Max4 can import it and convert it to Max4 format.

If you are looking at Max4, be sure that you have the rights to register the program and get the updates. Last Max 4 is 4.2

So check that the seller did not upgrade to a new version and he is selling his old version, which he is not supposed to do that.

If you try to register it and activate it, you may be in for a surprise.

Discreet has a funky license scheme, if you need explanations let me know and I'll post it, otherwise it's a long story

So I guess that you can email the seller to explicitly ask if the version can be registered with Discreet, but if the seller is a liar then you can still get hosed. I would also suppose that a sealed box is not evidence that the serial number and cd key, which are in the outside, haven't been used either. Have there been many horror stories of people getting ripped off in this way?

Spider

Guest capun

The way Discreet works (at least until 5.1) is that you install the game with the CD Key, then run an utility that generates a code unique to the hardware, you contact Discreet with that code and then they provide you with a authorization code.

I don't know about e-bay if you are dealing with dishonest sellers. I guess you could ask for the SN and call Discreet.

I don't know about e-bay if you are dealing with dishonest sellers. I guess you could ask for the SN and call Discreet.

If you buy 3DS Max used at ebay, you and the seller must get a written permission from discreet.

If you make the deal without contacting discreet to transfer the license, you will get no support and no updates for you MAX.