Sign in to follow this  
Scout_51

the fearless useless nations

Ran into this tidbit on the net,anyone else getting pissed at it?....

The Bush administration yesterday pledged $15 million to Asian nations hit by a tsunami that has killed more than 22,500 people, although the United Nations' humanitarian-aid chief called the donation "stingy."

"The United States, at the president's direction, will be a leading partner in one of the most significant relief, rescue and recovery challenges that the world has ever known," said White House deputy press secretary Trent Duffy.

But U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available if taxes were raised.

comments are welcomed...but I think not many would be for the un raising our taxes,nor for us to get out tax tables raised so we can give more to the un..the words gall,chutzpah(sp?) come to mind bout now..

When I heard that was how much the US was giving, I also thought that was a bit low. Really, I think with that kind of disaster, it should at least be in the hundred millions, if not around a billion. However, that money should not come from "raising taxes", but rather come from the horribly high welfare budgets. But, that's getting political...

The us is Giving 35 Million.

France is giving $136,000

Who would you call a cheap bastard?

<C>

Fates

France is giving $136,000

Is that thousands or thousands of mils?........

That was the number as reported by CNN 2 days ago. I believe that France has raised this number up to 24-27 Million or so.

What I hate, is the fact that many simply EXPECT the richest country to send the biggest money. This is a huge tragedy and people need to help people before turning this whole thing into some political spin to be used in the future.

Remember, that these numbers are simply government contributions...and do not reflect individual donations to supporting charities.

<C>

Fates

What relief did other countries offer Florida after the hurricanes ?

I believe we should take care of our own first.

Cheers

Beer

This is a huge tragedy and people need to help people before turning this whole thing into some political spin to be used in the future.

They allready are....like asking why Mr Bush did not cut short his vacation,wonder what they expected him to do....

What relief did other countries offer Florida after the hurricanes ?

I believe we should take care of our own first.

BINGO!..but yeah we really ought to help,this country does help,quite a bit more than many nations do,as individuals we help much more than many countries as a country do..what Im wondering is when is saudi arabia,kuwait and the other rich oil countries going to kick in,hell the saudis can make one hell of a payment on just oil revenues in one damm day,and a lot of those countries that are hurting have many muslim majorities..........