Bullethead

Worst Skin Ideas Ever

I started a new German pilot and was going to give him a personal paintjob for his Halberstadt D.II. I was thinking that maybe he was one of the tinkerers whose experiments later led to the lozenge camo, so I was trying to imagine an early, hand-painted sort of thing for that. It struck me that something with a look like fish scales using some of the colors available in 1916 might work, so I tinkered around with various permutations of this theme all afternoon.

Damn, I need more absinthe. These are some of the worst ideas I've ever had. Check them out :).

post-45917-0-17003200-1346646644_thumb.jpg

OMG - a demonstration of the effects of Absinth on the human brain! :bad:

Well, seriously now - these patterns are too regular.

I guess, that the Lozenge camouflage was inspired by the Impressionist painters,

who put dots or streaks of colourful paints - close to the basic blue, red and yellow - together

in an unregular grid. They had found out, that the human eye tends to complete shapes and

mixed colours from some distance. But Wiki doesn't mention that - just a guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lozenge_camouflage

Almost, but not quite as bad as one of my SE5a Skins (which I actually uploaded too)

Makes me want to vomit whenever I look at it!...lol

@Widowmaker

Yeah, no matter how I arranged the colors, I always ended up something looking more like a bristro tablecloth than a fish.

So... after sleeping on this, I'm going to forget camo and go straight-out fish. In fact, I'm thinking of using the golden shades of your favorite carp with some tweeks to make the whole look more fishy. The Halberstadt fuselage is rather fish-shaped, which is what inspired me to try fish scale camo in the 1st place.

Worst skin I've ever seen was a Pepto-Bismol-pink Bf-109 with kitty cats all over it. 'twas funny, though.

The scheme on the bottom reminded me of a neighbour lady's kitchen curtains c. 1974 :)

@ Lou

Yup, very much like that Nupe and various other fish-themed planes. Only cooler ;).

@ JFM

The worst skinning atrocity I ever committed, that actually got out in public, was for the MMOFS Aces High. It was for one of my squaddies who was a mailman and liked Hurricanes. Most folks thought it a very bad joke but my squaddie loved it. The kill marks under the cockpit are UPS logos....

post-45917-0-72661200-1346687681_thumb.jpg

Apart from the Roundals...I like that BH!!!

Bullet Head: here's some camo patterns much favored by Hansa-Brandenberg. The bottom pic. is regular hexagons, but the top is not.

4-color-lozenge-a.png

33.JPG

Okay what is wrong with this?

kind of pretty!!

Need more cool paint!

Yep looks like a 1970's kind of paint job to me..

Yea hobbits are like this.. :smile:

HH DR1 001

Edited by HouseHobbit

My nephews and I still play Interstate '82 on our LAN. We made an early 1980s era Ford Country Squire Wagon with sesame street themed paint scheme. I have no screen shots but suffice to say it was pretty awful and funny all at once. The hood was covered with this:

cookie-monster-diet.jpg

. One of my nephews drove it pretty well in our LAN battles.

Bullet Head: here's some camo patterns much favored by Hansa-Brandenberg. The bottom pic. is regular hexagons, but the top is not.

Ah yes, the infamous naval hex. That's what the model has, using colors hashed out at the Aerodrome with Dan San. I skinned the DFW and D.VII with that. As I understand things, naval hex was only 3 colors. If the hexagons were regular (and usually large), they were hand-painted. There is some evidence that there was a pre-printed version as well, using the same 3 colors more or less, but the hexagons were smaller and scewed slightly out of regularity by being stretched at an angle. However, on the fabric, all hexagons were the same size and shape.

The pattern by itself above the model uses 5 colors. All the shapes are hexagons but all their sizes and shapes are different. I've seen that pattern before but I can't remember where. I don't think it's naval and it doesn't match the usual shapes of army lozenge patterns, either 4- or 5-color.

Okay what is wrong with this? kind of pretty!! Need more cool paint! Yep looks like a 1970's kind of paint job to me.. Yea hobbits are like this.. :smile:

Ah, finally we get to see the infamous purple triplane. That's pretty cool :). What were you drinking when you came up with that idea?

My nephews and I still play Interstate '82 on our LAN. We made an early 1980s era Ford Country Squire Wagon with sesame street themed paint scheme. I have no screen shots but suffice to say it was pretty awful and funny all at once. The hood was covered with this:... . One of my nephews drove it pretty well in our LAN battles.

Hehehe, that sounds hideous :)

Not to be a doom-sayer, but there are worse skins lurking in the wings...and with real wings at that. Somewhere in the past few years, and on this Forum, there was a thread showing American planes with red, white and blue Flying-Circus-esque paint schemes. As I recall, these were done near the end of the war, or shortly after.The fact that they were all red, white and blue and all burst on the scene at once (or perhaps it was one whole squadron) makes it seem as though it was a WWI propaganda photo-op, seeing as the Allies were loath to encourage that sort of thing. The upshot of all this is that they were uniformly horrible. I'm all in favor of the ol' red, white and blue, but these looked as though the pilots were paraded and shown many cans of paint and told, "Allright, lads, we're painting the planes this afternoon. Get to to it!"

Mead!! Hobbits like Mead.. :drinks:

As for truly beautiful my "Ring Master" has been keeping England safe..

As long as the "Ring Master" flies, England will remain Free..

Ain't She beautiful!!!

Oh, I also have a purple flying suit for my pilot..

P 47

P 47 001

Edited by HouseHobbit

My Worst ever...and shamefully...I actually uploaded it! (possibly because I also...Like Mead)

post-22245-0-11069600-1347096617_thumb.jpg

My Worst ever...and shamefully...I actually uploaded it! (possibly because I also...Like Mead)

post-22245-0-11069600-1347096617_thumb.jpg

Wow it is too Cool!

i will need to download this..

Thanks Master Widowmaker..

Time for some more Mead before i fly this beauty..

Hehe you think those are bad ? I made a "scaly" , bright red dragon skin Albatros and at first I thought it wasn't too bad . Good thing I never posted it.

Damn, I need more absinthe. These are some of the worst ideas I've ever had. Check them out :).

BH,

Perhaps less absinthe - although if you do have more absinthe when skinning, please post the result(s). lol