When the RAAF was evaluating the replacement aircraft for the Canberra, they eventually settled on the F-111. It is well known that the initial F-111 airframes for Australia had issues off the line, which is why the RAAF used the F-4 Phantom as a stop-gap measure.

Along with the F-4, one of the aircraft evaluated in competition with the F-111 was the A-6 Intruder. What if the RAAF decided to forego the troubled (at the time) F-111 and augment its force of F-4 phantoms with the A-6 as its all-weather, deep strike patform?

Here are some thoughts:

The A-6A with Second Squadron, as it would have replaced the Canberra in Vietnam. This is the Southeast Asia pattern favored by the USAF (matching the RAAF Phantoms), though with the RAAF Sky Grey belly.

img00548.jpg

And the nightfighter variant (I have had this in the works for a while, but TK's recent F-4 skin pack has stolen some of my thunder).

img00551-1.jpg

Here's the standard RAAF Sky blue/light green pattern:

img00545.jpg

Here's a pattern based on a color scheme I saw for a RAAF F-111C. I'm calling this the Tropical Camo; if anybody can provide me with the proper nomenclature, I would greatly appreciate it.

img00547.jpg

And a nightfighter skin based on the same pattern.

img00552.jpg

Finally, a TRAM with the Sky Blue/Sea Blue pattern of the mid 1980s.

img00553-1.jpg

I also have 1st and 6th squadron decals in the works, as these are the squadrons that flew the F-111. I have also used the serial numbers of the F-111s exported to Australia.

And now, my questions (in order to make this what-if as accurate as possible):

You'll notice in the TRAM that the roundel is on the rear fuselage, as opposed to the front fuselage by the intake. I have seen both, and I am wondering if there is any rationale for where the roundel is located. I have been unable to find any information, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anybody know when the RAAF switched over to the low visibility pattern they use today? Finally, when did the RAAF stop using the Aussie Flag and fin flash on the tail of their aircraft?

Edited by HomeFries
  • Like 4

The roundal on the tail is more the norm looking for that plane. Also that dark tropical grey that was used for about 15 years on the Pigs would look good w/low vis markings.

Edited by MAKO69

Thanks, guys.

The roundal on the tail is more the norm looking for that plane. Also that dark tropical grey that was used for about 15 years on the Pigs would look good w/low vis markings.

I'm planning to keep the roundel near the intake on the A models because of the speedbrake on the rear fuselage (I don't know the mesh name, and it would look weird to have the roundel partially cover the brake anyway). However, I just figured out how to get the roundel on the rear fuselage and keep the national flag on the tail (I was having decal issues before). I'll do that for the E variants, which don't have fuselage speedbrakes on the LOD.

For the tropical grey, I am planning on doing that as well. I assume it's Sea Grey overall; do you have any information on when it was in use. As far as the tropical green camo, I know it was in use in 1981, but I was wondering how much time on either side of that year the scheme was in use.

From what I've seen of the F-111s, until gunship grey, SEA camo with black underside was the standard paint scheme. On ADF Serials, I haven't been able to find the "Tropical Camo" scheme.

Incidentally, I'd love to see an SEA/ARDU scheme

RAAF_Official_F111C_A8_132_ARDU_Acft0039_WN_ccEdcwRsX4.jpg

Excellent! I cannot comment on the accuracy for I know nothing about the RAAF, but I like what I see.

From what I've seen of the F-111s, until gunship grey, SEA camo with black underside was the standard paint scheme. On ADF Serials, I haven't been able to find the "Tropical Camo" scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-111C

Second picture down shows the scheme in 1981. Just wondering the date range on that.

Incidentally, I'd love to see an SEA/ARDU scheme

Was thinking about that myself. Adding ARDU to the SQUADRONLIST.INI should be interesting as it can be applied to multiple airframes (like VAQ-33).

The F-111 went through several upgrades with the RAAF. The time lines for upgrades and possibly paint jobs would be different also because they are different aircraft. The F-111 began turning up Gunship Grey in the mid to late 1990's though, if that helps. The roundals on the F-111 are about half the size of the ones being used on your Dingo A-6.

Edited by MAKO69

The F-111C's remained in SEA until the late 1990s. The F-111Gs arrived in gunship grey (ex-USAF). I believe that the repainting of the F-111Cs took place as part of the F-111C AUP, as the timing is about right.

Here's my latest progression on the project. Please note that in each of the screenshots, I have included 1st and 6th Squadron custom logos, which will be added to Squadronlist.ini.

I've reduced the roundel size to 1.0 on the A-6E and TRAM models. I may keep the A-6A at 1.4 to suit the early similarity with the USA schemes. Here's the updated Sky/Sea blue scheme with grey underside markings instead of black.

img00556.jpg

I've also substituted the standard roundels and fin flashes with the low visibility color versions on the nightfighter schemes.

img00558.jpg

I've also added a 1990s Sea Grey low visibility scheme.

img00555.jpg

And moved the low visibility squadron markings to the European camo as well.

img00557.jpg

Finally, I added the ARDU scheme for Sheriff. I hope I did it justice.

img00554.jpg

Please add any critiques or suggestions. I have thick skin, and I just want to get it right. This pack is pretty close to release, so please get your suggestions in ASAP.

Edited by HomeFries
  • Like 2

Maybe, maybe... add a few layers to the skin, some random clouding and to have panels of slightly different luminosity, makes the skins less flat and closer to stock skins conventions.

I've actually decreased the cloud effect from my USN/USMC A-6s since the RAAF birds aren't constantly exposed to salt air. However, I'm looking at going back to my default USN values for lighting and reflection, as the default RAAF values (taken from DLC17) make everything too glossy.

Can't download until after work tonight but this looks brilliant!!