Just got crushed on a 1968 mission to destroy an avgas fuel depot. Wingman and I arrive, low altitude and I begin the run in with him covering my six o'clock. Bombs release, miss. Order him to attack target. Meanwhile I hear someone on the radio yell out Missile Launch...now I know I've got a RIO in the Phantom but no idea if the RIO's are actually functional. I'm eyeballing the mirrors and see 'something' as well as a smoke trail. I haul the stick over and the missile goes by. Red Crown still spouting off about bogies fifty miles away, nothing closer, nothing on search radar. I select guns, because I *think* this EA is close close, just can't see him at all, finally he goes screaming by and I turn after him. My wingman is suddenly vapourized just after he hit the fuel dump and there are MIGs all over my butt. Totally shaken and up to my neck in EA I manage to gun the MIG I've latched onto but then get nailed (think I went tunnel..bad Leaf bad Leaf) by a MIG with guns at six low. Crashed, ended up in hospital (hoping the campaign is still 'on').

My question is: Does the RIO have a voice in this sim? Since the radio voices sound fairly similar it's often hard to tell who's saying what (especially when a big scrap is happening all along the front). I'm assuming the RIO is not functional and what I heard was coincidental to another scrap?

Nope, RIOs are just "there" and do nothing other than rotate their heads around, looking at everything but realistically just do nothing. But whenever Red Crown calls up stuff it does refer relative towards your position. However, anything in red (subtitles) indicates it's you.

Yep, for subtitles red is for you, yellow for your flight and blue for other allied flights.

The funny part is that even without a wingman, nearly allied flights or even a RIO, you WILL still receive warnings about missile departure, EA in your six etc...

though many cry out against leaving em up i use the radar in the corner and arrows as a "virtual RIO". since most of my time is spet in the Phantom, a Phantom driver would have a RIOs help calling all this out. call it lazy if you will i just call it my second set of eyes......

just think of Goose sayin start doin some of that pilot $hit next time you follow the arrow!

Edited by daddyairplanes

Thanks for the responses- I'll have to pay more attention to the color of the HUD chatter :) Next up; more TLAR bombing run practice!

There are a few voice packs available that really improve the radio chatter in the game, of course the goal is to replace the cartoon hillbilly voices that come with the game, this link will get you a voicepack that fixes the guy that yells at you everytime you leave or approach an airfield (yes it's a shameless plug) http://combatace.com/files/file/13057-approach-and-departure-voicepack/ in the readme there are links to the other two speech files which are really great, the pack by Retrograde easily would make the top ten list of all-time best mods. It gives the feeling that some of those incoming missile callouts are coming from the guy behind you......every now and then it actually uses the line "come on, do some of that pilot s**t"

Thanks for that info! Are those the voice packs in the SF2: Reloaded mod collection? Pretty sure I've heard some nicely done variations in there. It's now the chap in North Atlantic (where o' where is Redcrown Girl gone to?) thats driving me batty. Surprised as it sounds like unfiltered Teamspeak blather :)

I'm not sure exactly what is in the Reloaded mod but the link that I posted will connect you the three different voice packs

1) replaces and improves all the in flight radio calls (other planes in the air)

2) replaces redcrown with hawkeye

3) replaces the approach and departure controller

You can chose to use any of them individually or all three together..... And if you aren't happy with them then you just delete the speech folder within your mod folder and you are back to the default speech.

I know the Reloaded mod uses the speech pack for SF1 by Renegade and Retrograde. Additionally, Skatezilla and Spectre have released improved Hawkeye comms, and Romflyer posted a link to his own approach/departure controller speech pack.