Sign in to follow this  
bras

Practicing carrier landings

I own Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam and was wondering if there is a mod or mission editor out there that one can use to practice just carrier landings?

Thanks....

Thought there was one built in to SF2V with others - have you looked under Single Mission -> Load Mission?

• Like 1

There's a stock mission that comes with the game for carrier landings and another for take offs.

Go to Single Missions, then instead of Create Mission, choose Load Mission and there should be a few stock missions to choose from, one being carrier landings.

Good luck on those.

Edited by GearyMcS

Well thats embarrassing. I should have just dug in further. thanks guys.

land with your hook up and do touch and go's unless you want to end mission, start mission, loading...... repeat.

Or go through the Mission editor, create a mission and spend some time removing things, and have a mission where you can do anything.you want. For example, start a strike mission, remove everything, place a carrier where you want. Then get rid of the enemy AAA/SAM and eventually work it into an Air Defense Suppression mission. IF all goes well when the game starts and it tells you to RTB, then you just made a simple "Free Flight" mission to practice stuff, such as carrier trapping, etc.

Remember the deck is moving slightly to the right!

Edited by warthog64

It's pretty interesting I trap at higher speeds in SF2 than in FSX, but then again... but I've come in at around ~250kts and that's about what's good for me. I realize in the real world it's a lot slower but what works, works...

Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic does not have practice missions for carrier landing.  Is there any downloadable missions that I can get to practice carrier landings?

how odd...

it is very odd, as the ALL games pretty much come with some kind of "canned" missions. By my count, with a full-5 merged, is nearly 24 missions.

Several things might be the cause.

Improper installation of the game

Missing components of the game

several other that come to mind, that I will not mention here

What I'd do, is back up ALL the mods folders.

Uninstall ALL the games.

Make sure your games are the proper ones downloaded from 3W.

Run the install exes, and let them put themselves into their proper places.

start each and every one of the games through their individual exes and allow new mods folders to be built.

After that's done, see if the 3w canned mission show up.

If they don't, there is something seriously wrong with the game exes you have. You can also use the 3w extractor, and check inside all the MissionData *** .cats, as that's where the stock msn files are stored

The only Strike Fighter 2 game I have is North Atlantic.  Also, if I select "Instant Action" the game crashes.  I am running Windows 10.  

further checking indicates that NA doesn't come with any canned missions, sorry. The carrier take off and landing practice missions are part of SF2V.. The other missions come with SF2E and probably just plane SF2 (some A-A practice missions)

You might want to think about getting the rest of the set; the majority of mods here kind of require Full 4 merged (at minimum) and Full 5s, due to the aircraft required

So I just bought SF2V and I can Load Missions, the only problem is I want to practice carrier landings with the F/A-18.  Is there any community made missions that I can use to practice landings?

Your best bet is either picking up the stand alone mission editor from Third-wire or picking up both SF2E & EXP1 (mission editor is included in EXP1).
Either that or finding the mission file and manually editing it, used to do that myself years ago before the editor came about. Its not difficult but its a bit laborious when the editor is now available.

Craig

So I just bought SF2V and I can Load Missions, the only problem is I want to practice carrier landings with the F/A-18.  Is there any community made missions that I can use to practice landings?

Open in notepad to change time / title/ aircraft & carrier type etc and stick in the Missions mod folder (which you may need to create.

CARRIER_LANDING_NIGHT1.zip

don't forget to change, not only the time and such, but since you don't have SF2V, you'll need to change the terrain pointer to read

IcelandNA.