RAF_Louvert

SPAD VII Paint for the Italian Front Project

Greetings All,

I am back home for the weekend and had a chance this early AM to work on a SPAD VII template for the Italian squadrilia. Starting with one of the beautiful OFF skins already in the kit I reworked it and built one up that I can now use to create the various Italian skins that will be needed. Here is the first one I've completed: the SPAD VII of Italian ace Giorgio Pessi:

OFF_Spad_VII_Giorgio_Pessi_001.jpg

I will get a few more ace skins put together and then make them available for download.

Cheers!

Lou

Schweet! On the SPAD XIII, will you also convert the absinthe dispenser to serve chianti or marsalla?

Gee, we're getting there - great work, Lou!

Glad you like it Gents. Here's the next one, the SPAD VII of Italian ace Pier Ruggero Piccio:

OFF_Spad_VII_Pier_Ruggero_Piccio.jpg

I'll get to the next one tomorrow morning.

Cheers! :drinks:

Lou

Ah - so the SPAD XIII someone had just recently posted a photo of (in a shopping mall), was not Baraccas, but Picci's.

It carried this same black Griffin.

Edited by Olham

PS: how comes, that some Italian planes have the roundel sequence green-white-red, and others red-white-green???

Olham, the black griffin was the emblem of Squadriglia 91. However, the few examples of the SPAD VII I could find bearing this emblem all indicated it was flown by Lt. Colonel Piccio, who by the way was commander of 10th Group Squadriglie of which Sq 91 was a part. Also, to your question about the roundels: the Italian Air Service used both throughout WWI and did not standardize to the red-white-green version until the early 1920's.

Here is the next completed skin, Francesco Barraca's SPAD VII #2489:

OFF_Spad_VII_Francesco_Barraca_001.jpg

Wow, another nice design, Lou - I guess I will also fly an Italian side pilot.

Thanks HH and Olham, nice to know these are looking good to others, (gets hard to tell after a long bout of skinning).

The SPAD VII of Fulco Ruffo di Calabria is completed:

OFF_Spad_VII_Fulco_Ruffo_di_Calabria.jpg

While working on this one I noticed I had made an error on the first two yellow kites by painting all the front cowling. This should be left the stock tan color, and I've gone back and corrected this.