Olham

German Jasta in Italy

Here is another dimension for our "Little Italy" campain: some German Jagdstaffeln were based in Italy for some time.

Here is one example.

Jasta 31 was stationed in Italy for some time in the war.

The bases were:

Audritz 20 September - 2 November 1917

Udine 3 - 11 November 1917

Aviano 15 - 19 November 1917

San Giacomo 19 November - 2 January 1918

San Fior 3 January - 13 March 1918

I will research this a bit more and report, which Jasta were where, and when.

This would mean, that the Jasta 31 "Barber Pole"-Albatros D.III OAW could see action.

I had built this skin long time ago, but never finished it (it was hair splitting hard to make the red bands meet!).

Now I searched for the file, but it must have been left and lost on my old rig. Maybe I'll build it again.

Edited by Olham

That would be a sweet kite to have in the mod. Too bad you lost the original file Olham, but I say "Build it again!" :smile:

Great stuff :)

Is there not a similar one in the OFF skins?...There's a black and white one isnt there?

Yes, black-white, but just vertically striped. The "barber pole" one is so much trickier...

I did this one last year, or actually 2 years ago, for FE. Was a really a big PITA! But was worth it in the end. BTW it was an Albatros D.III OAW said to be flown by Oblt. Josef Loeser of Jasta39.

post-33545-0-15954600-1347203069_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-03423200-1347203071_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-96793400-1347203072_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-99881400-1347203074_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-71653100-1347203225_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-84996900-1347203628_thumb.jpg

Edited by quack74

It's not perfect I know but I just couldnt work on it anymore! Too frustrating to get every stripe to line up all around the fuselage. Have a look at the .bmp's (converted to Jpeg to post)

post-33545-0-80684000-1347203979_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-89602600-1347203980_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-21994000-1347203982_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-00616600-1347203983_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-89181600-1347203983_thumb.jpg

I am amazed at the work you skinners do. You work so hard for us hamfisted pilots to smash or let burn as we jump wildly from our aircraft. Seriously you people make so wonderful skins. Thanks for your time and effort.

John

Well, even if not perfect, she looks very good already, Quack!

Yeah, I just worked on mine, and it is nervewrecking to eliminate all the distortions.

It looks good on the 2-dimensional skin file, but when you wrap it around the 3D model - boy!

Thanks a lot for the photos - never saw any other than model kits.

And so it's Jasta 39 - got that wrong somehow; thank you!

Edited by Olham

...said to be flown by Oblt. Josef Loeser of Jasta39.

An odd, but strangely appealing paint scheme. Do you know if Oblt. Josef Loeser survived the war? If the point of the Flying Circus paint schemes was to draw attention to yourself, this had to be one of the best. Everyone in the theatre would have wanted to kick his butt.

Edited by Hauksbee

Looking forward to this beautiful Bird, indeed..

Too Cool!!!

Thanks very much..

BRAVO!!

Do you know if Oblt. Josef Loeser survived the war?

According to "The Jasta Pilots", Oberleutnant Josef Loeser was the CO of Jasta 39 from 4 December 1917 - 4 February 1918,

when he got wounded in action. After his recovery he flew with Jasta 46 from 18 April - 3 June 1918. He became the CO of this

Staffel on 23 April.

His two victories were both Sopwith Camel in Italy; the first flown by 2nd Lt. Ross from No. 45 Sqdn RFC (KIA).

He was shot down in flames north of Hamel during combat with R.E.8 of No. 3 Sqdn, AFC.

Edited by Olham

To give you an idea of what I'm fighting with - here is a screenshot of what I got done so far.

I decided to lay a grid of colours over the sides and top part, plus some letters.

This way I can now work towards eliminating all distortions (more or less).

Still quite a bit of work...

Edited by Olham

He was shot down in flames north of Hamel during combat with R.E.8 of No. 3 Sqdn, AFC.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks, Olham.

Many Thanks for the Airfield info..

"Audritz 20 September - 2 November 1917

Udine 3 - 11 November 1917

Aviano 15 - 19 November 1917

San Giacomo 19 November - 2 January 1918

San Fior 3 January - 13 March 1918"

Much needed..

Bravo..

Look greatly forward to this bird..

Can anyone shead some more light on my distant relative, Josef Loeser I know he was 29 when he died Anyone have a photo of him,

Thanks

Mike Loeser

Here is what's listed about him in "The Jasta Pilots":

LOESER, Josef Oblt. (Oberleutnant)

FA40 - Dec 1917 -

J1 Dec1917 - 4 Dec 1917

CO J39 4 Dec 1917 - 4 Feb 1918 2 WIA

J46 18 April 1918 - 3 June 1918 - KIA

Born May 1889, Rottingen, Bayern. Jastaschule I on 13 November 1917.

Commanded Jasta 46 from 23 April to 3 June 1918.

Shot down in flames N Hamel during combat with RE8s of No. 3 Sqn, AFC.

Victories:

1. 11 Jan 1918 Camel - Scomigo

2. 4 Feb 1918 Camel - Barbisano

(Source: "The Jasta Pilots" by Norman Franks, Frank Bailey & Rick Duiven; Grub Street)

From late summer 1917 to March 1918, Jasta 39 fought in Italy.

Back into OFF now, the winter has set in here in Ohio, so i will be spending less time riding and more time Flying OFF.

Thanks to all for your kind patience in this..

Off to review what I have built and set up for more improvments to the Italy package..

If any haver this please contact me..

Thanks all..

Edited by HouseHobbit

btw, HH, I think you can ignore Auritz for the Italian campaign. tJP lists Auritz/Veldes am See for that period, neither of which names are you likely to find in Italy.

There is an Auritz in Saxony, near Bautzen and close to the conjunction on the modern borders of Germany, Czech Republic and Poland. Veldes am See is likely in Austria, north of the modern border with Slovenia.

Both are feasible for a brief posting to the Austro-Hungarian side of the conflict, but not in Italy.

Thanks for this information, I will try to put it to good use in the italy package..

Bravo all..

btw, HH, I think you can ignore Auritz for the Italian campaign. tJP lists Auritz/Veldes am See for that period, neither of which names are you likely to find in Italy.

There is an Auritz in Saxony, near Bautzen and close to the conjunction on the modern borders of Germany, Czech Republic and Poland. Veldes am See is likely in Austria, north of the modern border with Slovenia.

Both are feasible for a brief posting to the Austro-Hungarian side of the conflict, but not in Italy.

You are right, the Auritz / Veldes am See is the german name for today's Zagorica which is a part of town Bled / Veldes in Slovenia today. The Jasta was stationed there for a while. May I ask someone a question. I know there were 2 airports in 1917 in close vacinity, but there are 3 listed in the book Austro-Hungarian Albatros Aces of World war 1; Auritz and Veldes as two separate. For Lees it is known.

Jasta 1 Veldes

Jasta 31 Auritz

Jasta 39 Lees

The photos from Flughafen Veldes were available on web page flieger-album.de which is unfortunately down. Taken from diary of lt. Werner Dittmann, from Jasta 1 in September/October 1917.

post-33545-0-71653100-1347203225.jpg

May I ask as well, where was this photo taken of course if known?