Sign in to follow this  

Downloaded the (excellent) Op. Darius. I really can't wait to wade into it thru a proper campaign, when I get a spare moment...

I've just been sampling the included planes, and i was wondering if anyone else has problems with the F-22 crashing on takeoff? Noticed this when I downloaded the plane itself a while back, and now that I have a campaign in which I may want to fly the Raptor, I feel the need to quash this bug. Anyone working on it or have any ideas?

Op. Darius installed in a clean modfolder, BTW.

arthur66:

The F-22 (at least with the current flight model) has a rather high takeoff speed. If you pull back on the stick too early, you may crash. Notice that AI is usually above 200 knots before rotating and taking off.

I've attached a tweaked DATA.INI for the F-22, which should allow you to rotate and take to the air at around 175-180 knots. Let me know how this works for you.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Thanks! That's better.

It still flies weird though. High angle of attack. Also, I would imagine that the F-22 has computer controlled flaps, like the F-16, EF2000, etc. I might play around with it a bit more.

Arthur66:

The flight model probably does need to be revamped. I'm not the guy to do it, though.

EricHowes

Yeah, me neither. I copied and pasted some stuff from some other planes, and realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I might treat it as AI only for the time being. That F-15E has been calling my name anyway...

arthur66:

Attached is another version of the DATA.INI, tweaked a bit more. Still not where it needs to be, but improved over the previous version.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Wow, I appreciate it. It feels pretty good like this. I'll try to make the flaps' effects less exaggerated and have them computer deployed, and I'll post it if I can get it to work ok.

Arthur66:

Have you tested the landing behavior? Very important, because this version drops the lift on the flaps and drops the flap deployment angle. The original flaps were manually deployed to allow the landing flap angle to be double the takeoff angle.

Eric Howes

Yeah, it lands like warm butter. (on "hard" flight model settings, of course) Smooth. I touch down at ~175kts. I think the original flaps were way "overpowered".

Did you get a different result?

Edited by arthur666

Arthur66:

I should have specified that I was more interested in AI landing behavior.

Eric Howes

Well, it wasn't pretty, but the 3 other planes in my flight got on the runway without damage. They came in at just over 100kts and what looked like 30deg, then belly flopped onto the tarmac. No crashes though.

Arthur66:

OK, I took your changes to the flaps, tweaked that data just bit, then worked with the stall speed and landing speed until I got AI behavior that was reasonable.

Normally the landing speed would be just above the stall speed, but with this flight model the aircraft doesn't seem to be getting enough lift in landing configuration. So, the specified landing speed is considerably above the stall speed -- about 154-155 knots, which I suspect is probably closer to the real thing than 105 knots (what it was doing previously). And even though the specified landing speed is 155 knots, AI actually comes in around 140-145 knots.

Whatever the case, AI does a lot better with these numbers.

Eric Howes

F-22A_DATA.zip

Thanks for these tweaks, I've been hoping someone would get around to it for a while.

I don't suppose anyone's found a way to have a setup for SDBs and 1000lb class (JDAM, JSOW, etc) weapons yet? I tried putting in another instance of the weapons bay (using the StationID=2 and weapon positions from the very first version of the mod), and assigning the same animations as the default SDB bay, but then the doors won't animate. I hope there's a workaround.

Before your fix my AI 22s were flying nose down into the runway and exploding, now at least they're nose up but I have not seen them land yet; they make it to about 70 feet or so and then climb out in landing configuration; better than crashing though.

Spiff:

Try bumping LandingSpeed value down -- say, by 0.5 increments.

Eric Howes