Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

USS John Finn

A couple of years ago I posted and put up a link to an online pettion to name the next US Navy ship built be named for Congressional Medal of Honor reciprient Lt. John Finn. I am happy to announce that the 29th Arleigh Burke-class destroyer will be the USS John Finn DDG-113. As a Chief Aviation Ordnanceman, AOC Finn manned a 50 cal at then NAS Kanehoe Bay on 7DEC1941. He remained at his post for 18 hours despite being wounded in the attack, he only left his post under direct orders from one of the officers in his command. Cheif Finn later retired from the Navy as a Lt.

As an Aviation Ordnanceman Lt. Finn was some one that I looked up to and aspired to be as good an AO and leader as he was. At the time of his death he was the oldest CMoH winner from the Pearl Harbor attacks still living. For once a pettioned I had signed actually had weight and power to get a buracracy moving in the right direction.

IYAOYAS!!!

:salute: Way to go Chief.

Out-damn-standing!!!

Good on the Navy. Good to know, also, that they have chosen, thus far, NOT to name a ship after Clinton or Obama!