Sign in to follow this  
VCTRY25

Carrier Landing Help

Hello all, need help landing on the boat. I get the f-8 on the deck and it starts to slow down like a trapped a wire but right before it comes to a complete stop it explodes. Anybody else having problems? I appreciate any help.

Hello all,  need help landing on the boat.  I get the f-8 on the deck and it starts to slow down like a trapped a wire but right before it comes to a complete stop it explodes.  Anybody else having problems?  I appreciate any help.

OK, for an update. Just for giggles and grins tried the F-4 and A-6 and got them both on the deck without a problem, but for some reason the f-8 after it traps and starts to slow down the nose goes through the deck and then the aircraft explodes. Any ideas?

Guest capun

Is it the F-8A or the F-8D?

Is it the original plane or has it been converted for SP3/WoV operation?

By reading your problem, I think it has not been converted to SP3 yet

For the F-8A you need to open the Data ini file and make the following changes

[MissionData]

NationName=USN

MinBaseSize=MEDIUM

CarrierBased=TRUE <- Add this line

[Tailhook]

SystemType=ARRESTER_HOOK

MaxDeflection=60.0

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=1.0

ModelNodeName=F_tailhook

HookArmLength=2.0 <- You need to get the right length from the model builder. Try this for now

AttachmentPosition=0.0,-4.0,-0.4 <- Same here, see if this works

Edited by capun

Thanks soooo much for the reply, it is the stock F-8 that shipped with WOV. I was trying a campaign with the assigned aircraft. I will check the ini files. I do have the patch installed for it also.

Guest capun
Thanks soooo much for the reply, it is the stock F-8 that shipped with WOV.  I was trying a campaign with the assigned aircraft.  I will check the ini files.  I do have the patch installed for it also.

Hold on, If you are running WoV, the planes should have been set for carrier landings already. You do need the WoV patch to fix some carrier issues.

Hold on, If you are running WoV, the planes should have been set for carrier landings already. You do need the WoV patch to fix some carrier issues.

I already have the patch installed. It only happens with the F-8 so far. All other aircraft seem to be OK.

Guest capun

The WoV F-8E has the correct fixes. Are you using the stock carriers?

If yes. then you are hitting a collision point in the carrier. Need to stay away from that area

The WoV F-8E has the correct fixes. Are you using the stock carriers?

If yes. then you are hitting a collision point in the carrier. Need to stay away from that area

It is the stock F-8E and the stock carriers. The collision point is on the angle on landing roll. None of the other aircraft do this, just the Crusader. It's like the nose falls through the deck after you trap a wire. Then it explodes. Just kinda of frustrating after you complete a mission to end it by exploding on the deck.

It is the stock F-8E and the stock carriers.  The collision point is on the angle on landing roll.  None of the other aircraft do this, just the Crusader.  It's like the nose falls through the deck after you trap a wire.  Then it explodes.  Just kinda of frustrating after you complete a mission to end it by exploding on the deck.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. WOV+SP1, settings on 'Easy', flying F-8 (VF-21) in Rolling Thunder campaign in Mission 1.

I figured it was my poor landing ability, but even when landing on autopilot the same thing happens - touch down, very slowly roll up to the end of the deck and blow-up.

Also with autopilot, several times the AP lands me in the sea next the the carrier for some reason??

Rest of the sim is great, but this is very frustrating :sad: .

Guest capun

Try this, it could solve the problem

I made the USS Essex which is the same type of carrier as the SCB-125 in WOV. I assumed that the data ini from WoV should have worked, One of the thing that I found (thx JSF_Aggie) is that in WoV the deck width is too narrow. More in the SCB-125 than the CV-63.

THis is the SCB-125 in WoV

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=15.19

FlightDeckLenght=267.04

FlightDeckWidth=31.80 <- Note the deck width

CollisionMesh=

This is the USS Essex with the fix

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=16.6081

FlightDeckLenght=267.04

FlightDeckWidth=51.8 <- Note the difference

CollisionMesh=Flight_Deck

This is the CV-63 in WoV

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=20.10

FlightDeckLenght=382.0

FlightDeckWidth=78.0 <- Note the deck width

CollisionMesh=CV-63_deck.LOD

This is the CV59 in SFP1

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=19.4

FlightDeckLenght=320.0

FlightDeckWidth=82.0 <- Note

CollisionMesh=FlightDeck

So try bumping the width in the SCB-125, I think the CV-63 should be a tad wider than the CV59. IMHO Third Wire calculated the width of the landing area (or the old straight deck carrier) and not the total width of the landing deck.

While you're on the subject of carriers, I have added the new carriers to the objects folder but noticed there are no folders for the SCB-125 or the CV-63, should there be? I have the patch installed and in campaigns I take off from the carriers but I noticed in the RT campaign, the AI's take off from the water, no carriers visible. Am I missing these DATA files and if so could someone kindly pass them on to me thanks - Charlie

Guest capun

I assume that you are talking to WoV since SFP1 does not have them? (Unless you have both and have moved the files)

You need to read the instructions for the ships!!! They tell you that you need to add them to the groundobjectdata.ini, create a folder and then copy or move the ships data ini to the objects directory.

Or you can copy/move all the files to the objects folder

Thanks for your reply, yes I only have WOV installed and yes did as the ship instructions said - added the folders to objects and updated the groundobjects Data as indicated - I just noticed there are no files for the "original" carriers, the SCB-125 and the CV-63 and was wondering if there should be such files? Otherwise I don't see how the game could reference them. I tried re-installing everything, including the patch and still no luck. I also had no LB1 or LB2 data files which AD was nice enough to send me - am I nuts or what?

Guest capun

The game packs a lot of stuff in the cat files.

Look at the objects.cat file, use the extractor.

Search here and at SimHQ to help you how to do it

Thanks Capun, I'll try that out tonight before another trip "Downtown" - Charlie