itifonhom

Fokker D.VIII

I am stunned!

This looks like a high detail first class plastik model, larger than 1:24 even - I wanna paint it!

So I understand for low-poly builds, you would find it harder to gain the correct-looking shape,

and to join things correct-looking.

Thanks Olham, glad you liked it! Well, low poly modeling is kind of trying to carve a plastic model out of a single plastic block instead of putting plastic parts together. It's not really hard to make a low poly model but I think to get a good low poly needs some experience. From what I understand though, in 3D modeling there are "ways" to do things, meaning the mesh is good to run across "patterns" for pre-defined shapes so I suppose there are such ways/patterns for low poly modeling too.

ITI, that's simply stunning! It looks all that engine needs is fuel and it would crank right up ;).

On the subject of low-poly models, should you ever be so inclinded, the main trick seems to be to fake as much small 3D detail as possible on the textures, so you can use fewer and simpler polys on the model. I mean, there's an irreducible minimum of polies you need to make the overall shape of the plane look right, so you want to add as little to that as possible. Also keep in mind that the only parts of the plane that will ever get close scrutiny in the game are the cockpit and immediately surrounding areas. Everything else will be seen from a distance, usually while moving at fairly high speed across the observer's field of view, so can be fairly minimalist.

So, on the airplane itself, why build in wing ribs when you can fake them quite well on the skin? Same goes for entire radiator surfaces, small vent louvres, turnbuckles on the rigging, various details of control surface hinges, etc. On an engine, cooling fins, nuts and bolts, slight changes in part diameter and shape, etc., are also done with the textures. Hell, with a rotary engine in the operating mode, you can reduce the entire engine to a disc with a blurred texture of the whole engine painted on it.

Your kind words are highly motivating gentlemen, please keep them coming!! :-) Working on the prop right now, I think it´ll be finished by tomorrow and then I´m moving to the guns!!