Hi,I was wondering if anyone's done or thought about doing the Balkans Campaign-Serbia,Yugoslavia,Bosnia,Croatia It was practactly an all air campaign by the nato-allied forces.Any thoughts?

Edited by usafphantom2

wouldn't we need a Balkans terrain, first?

Good luck

yah, you'll need it!!! :biggrin:

• Like 1

yeah :rofl:

I'm far from qualified I'm still figuring everything out! I bow to our more talented members,I thought it was a natural selection for a campaign because.....It actually happened,mostly an Air Campaign involving NATO+US air & sea assets,not really a huge piece of terrain.I see alot of people cooking up ficticous conflicts,I'm just wondering why we havent done this one.Wrenchman your working on something great I want as soon as you guys can crank it out! The pic's look great and I really appreciate the level of detail,You guy's are always raising the bar.Maybe when your finished with it you might consider this one? :blink:

Hi,I was wondering if anyone's done or thought about doing the Balkans Campaign-serbia,yugoslavia,chetzina?

What the f**** is chetzina? :lol:

• Like 1

east of Chernarus? :rofl: see what computer games and simplified view of world do o mankind...

serbia?yugoslavia? Hmmm... sounds eerie similar to Serbia and Yugoslavia

back on topic, there was Kosovo terrain ages ago, available, I honestly have no idea where (AVsim?) but it was unfinished, innacurate and with lots of issues IIRC

Edited by Stary
  • Like 1

east of Chernarus? :rofl:

Ahh Chernarus, the evil sister state that lives under Belarus :lol:

• Like 1

I'm far from qualified I'm still figuring everything out! I bow to our more talented members,I thought it was a natural selection for a campaign because.....It actually happened,mostly an Air Campaign involving NATO+US air & sea assets,not really a huge piece of terrain.I see alot of people cooking up ficticous conflicts,I'm just wondering why we havent done this one.Wrenchman your working on something great I want as soon as you guys can crank it out! The pic's look great and I really appreciate the level of detail,You guy's are always raising the bar.Maybe when your finished with it you might consider this one? :blink:

Hi there,

I just wanted to say, I didn't mean to be cheeky or anything like that, it's just that terrain building can be quite time-consuming so calling on volunteers to get it done is probably not going to get you very far - most folks who do it usually have a project or three on the go (I know I do, some of which will hopefully see the light of day . . .sometime ;-) )

On the other hand, it is a good idea for a campaign, so I don't want to discourage you.

Gepard has said that he built his Israel terrain from scratch because he wanted to fly over Israel and no-one else was building it, so he did it for himself. Of course, that was a long time before SF2:I, or even WoI, but you get the idea that, if you want something like that done, often the best way is to take a crack at it yourself.

Seriously, take a read at Gepard's tutorials, and if you work through them in turn they will enable you to get a basic terrain build together.

After that, just keep on tweaking, and tweaking, and tweaking. . .

If you have any questions about how it all works, take a read in the KB, and if it's not there, ask away.

Slainthe,

Baltika

Some time ago some of our Italien freinds worked on something like that.

But I´m not sure if it is still under development....

column5 was working on an Adriatic map which would cover the region nicely. . .

http://combatace.com/topic/40575-terrain-gurus-look-here-plz-adriatic-map/page__st__20__hl__+column5?do=findComment&comment=288582

But I don't know if that project was shelved indefinitely?

Certainly looks like it would have been a great map, and a lot of work had gone into it.

if i could get my hands on C5s map ... after the system rebuild, of course.... I could DO things with it!

Baltikia I hear you man,but look it did generate some interest and maybe some talented soul will undertake it.I"m still a blindman poking around in the dark,When I figure out how it all works I'll be glad to provide more than idea's.But someone like the Wrench,Stary or you with this stuff,well thats something we can all be proud of.P.S forgive my spelling errors in first post,It was the last post late at night.I forgot Bosnia! If you wait for me we'll all be to old to care.Wont find the other place I mentioned cause it was a figment of a tired mind! Guy's checkout soulfreak's post and link you'll need a browser that translate's maybe we can get these guy's involved again some may even friends of yours?Wrench it looks like there may be something here!

Edited by usafphantom2

Guy's check out Soulfreak's post and link you'll need a browser that translates!But there is some stuff here!And Baltika's post with Colunm5's map!

Baltika I am printing and looking over Gepard's tutorials thanks for the link.

well, C5 was quite happy to send it to me...

BUT...

don't expect anything before middle/last quater of next year. There's still several terrain remods in the pipeline, and this will need LOTS of work/rework and extensive researching!

and...the possibilty of a massive tile import; although this is under consideration. I'm pretty sure the GCE tiles may not be correct for Greece, Crete, and possibly Sciily. May have to import IME tiles (like the modern NAfrica terrain) ... but I'll need to speak to folks that live in the region! (I"m a Yank! what the hell do I know from southern Europe???)*

*although PureBlue's Anotolia uses only GCE tiles....

Edited by Wrench

Seems like there is scope for a concerted effort here.

Brain32 has posted that he had prepared multiple tile sets to cover the region, with appropriate variation for each country, and yeah, Southern Italy will look much different to Balkans region. . .

You around, Brain? This terrain is crying out for a custom hi-res tileset, man ;-)

Also, as you will know Wrench, there just aren't enough transition tiles in the GCE set, which is why C5 was getting coastal/city weirdness with his WIP map.

Of course, I got the usual itch, and have been building this one up from scratch, using the fully transitioned tileset included with Kamchatka terrain, just for fun. The extra transition tiles mean the coastal and city areas tile properly using autotile, which cuts down a ton of hand tiling work. Also, as you will see, I have expanded the borders a bit to include Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria, as well as the host of Balkan nations. I was aiming for a more comprehensive "Southern Front" for NATO fighters, but as usual it's probably wildly overambitious. Once I get the capital cities for each nation plotted and a runway for each nation, I'd be happy to hand it over to whoever wants to take it further, if anyone ;-)

But at least I can fly that nice Swiss DLC Hunter from its home base ;-)

post-16914-0-42848600-1349381716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baltika
  • Like 7

making new transitions ain't nothing!! I do it all the time!! :biggrin: (look at the Eritrea map, and JSF Aggie's desert tiles -- I added 6 or 8 new, corrected transitons, and the modern NAfrica .. at least that many new tiles).

On yours, IME tiles in NAfrica, Sicily, southen Italy, and Greece. No big deal to import them. Turkey is left out, due to The Wall Proximity

Transitions from IME to GCE shouldn't be an issue. It's only really the 3-ways that foul up the works!!

I LIKE that map of yours!! Plenty of room of airfields (and navy base!) on Sicily, Tunisia, that big one in the "toe" near Messina, lots in Greece and so forth!

as to tiling, I'm used to doing things by hand ... just wears out the mouse!! It DOES look like yours is much further along than C5s, and prolly in need of less work.

Yes I still have custom tiles for this with PSD templates and everything, about 500MB's it's high res(1024) satellite grabbed correct proportion set but it's unfinished.

Thanks Guys for jumping on this I am sure the community will greatly appreciate the mod as I will when you are finished.