Erik

Downloading from CombatACE

Hello all!

As you know it is one of my jobs to make sure things are working as they are supposed to here at CombatACE. One of the biggest concerns I'm asked about is our download section. So that we can clear up the confusion and help each of you get the best out of our services I've put this together for everyone's information. I hope it helps.

DAILY DOWNLOAD LIMITS

Yes we have them. As a file repository we are faced with the very real issue of bandwidth and equipment costs. We maintain a robust community of equipment and services with multi-point redundancy that provide minimized potential for loss of site content or stored files, speed, and safety that our members use daily. We maintain two separate connectivity points to provide users the best experience possible when downloading content or using our various services. Why daily download limits? That's a good question and simply answered it's a function of the internet and a commonly accepted belief that the internet is free. In our past experience with an unlimited download service we have found it encourages excessive downloading (hoarding), most often referred to as "kids in a candy store" mentality. We hope you understand that our position is taken with great care and concern. We certainly can provide unlimited downloads to everyone but we won't be around very long operating under that business model. We have chosen, therefore and to the ultimate benefit of the community, to limit the daily file count while still providing free downloading to all members. We have also included the option of removing download restrictions by purchasing a subscription account.

TURN OFF DOWNLOAD ACCELERATORS

We recommend that you remove, disable, or uninstall any browser download accelerators while using our service. These programs or add-ons include releases like but not limit to Download Accelerator Plus, Get Right, Download Them All, SpeedBit, etc. Our download service by default supports the file pause and resume features for pausing downloads which may be the only convenient feature of a download accelerator. Most browsers have these features built into their stock releases so installing a download accelerator is not necessary to use them. Download accelerators open multiple download requests for the same file, often called segmenting or ranging. We do not support ranging at this time because it interferes with your daily download limit count. If you would like to read more information about download accelerators it can be found here: Download Accelerators.

Our top four browsers used on this site for downloading files are below. Your can click on the links provided to download the latest version of these browsers.

1. Internet Explorer 9.0

2. Google Chrome

3. Firefox

4. Opera

pie.png

Statistically the top four browsers used to download our content.

STOCK BROWSER INSTALLATION:

To verify our software I have downloaded and installed each of these browsers. Personally I use Google Chrome. I like it's features, how it integrates with my Google products, the speed and performance, and the overall ease of use. After testing the stock installations of the above four browsers here is what I found. The stock installations of Internet Explorer 9.0, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera all work properly with our download section. Please check your browser add-on and extension settings to determine if you have a download manager accelerator installed. Our site is confirmed to work best with Internet Explorer 9.0, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, other browsers may work but have not been verified.

browsers.png

Stock browsers download test.

Above after installing the various browsers I checked to determine how many connections each stock browser was making to determine if download accelerators were installed by default and in use. As you can see all of the browsers above worked as intended by opening a single request for each file.

Download Accelerators are often a software add-on for browsers and can be deactivated in your browser settings. To check and disable your browser add-ons follow these simple steps.

INTERNET EXPLORER 9.0 -

> Tools > Manage add-ons > From the popup screen you can view installed and active extensions, add-ons, and accelerators. Disable or remove as needed.

GOOGLE CHROME -

> Settings (wrench) > Tools > Extensions > From the new tab you can view installed and active extensions, add-ons, and accelerators. Disable or remove as needed.

OPERA 9 -

> Opera Menu > Extensions > Manage Extensions > From the new tab you can view installed and active extensions, add-ons, and accelerators. Disable or remove as needed.

FIREFOX -

> Firefox Menu > Add-ons > From the new tab you can view installed and active extensions, add-ons, and accelerators. Disable or remove as needed.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask or offer your input. Thank you for reading this post and please enjoy your community here at CombatACE.

Erik Thompson

CombatACE.com

• Like 2

Chrome myself (and probably one of the biggest bandwidth consumer :blush: but I'm working on something, maybe, if I can not make it a chore for modders).

The IE share is not astonishing and as shocking as it was, the latest IE is surprisingly good on many levels, in fact, in many respects I found it superior to Firefox (well, Firefox has lost it's way starting with 3.x).

What surprises me is that Sleipnir even register, that some people are still using an AOL branded browser and that so many use Opera, the little browser without glaring defects but no soul or personality.

I still have issues with my downloads being interupted, I use IE9 stock, its weird really as sometimes a small file gets interupted 3 or 4 times whereas stuff like the NF5 packs were pretty good. It also happens with files sent by pm......this sort of issue could also count to a persons download count could'nt it ?

Chrome myself (and probably one of the biggest bandwidth consumer :blush: but I'm working on something, maybe, if I can not make it a chore for modders).

The IE share is not astonishing and as shocking as it was, the latest IE is surprisingly good on many levels, in fact, in many respects I found it superior to Firefox (well, Firefox has lost it's way starting with 3.x).

What surprises me is that Sleipnir even register, that some people are still using an AOL branded browser and that so many use Opera, the little browser without glaring defects but no soul or personality.

Dare we ask what you're working on? Sleipnir is really Chrome re-branded. AOL branded browser, I agree. More surprising is anyone still uses AOL for anything. Opera 9 has some new steel under the hood, it's not the nothing everyone thinks it is.

I still have issues with my downloads being interupted, I use IE9 stock, its weird really as sometimes a small file gets interupted 3 or 4 times whereas stuff like the NF5 packs were pretty good. It also happens with files sent by pm......this sort of issue could also count to a persons download count could'nt it ?

File transfers on the internet are affected mostly by packet loss and packet loss is affected greatly by latency. Latency is the number in milliseconds that it takes for your computer to send a packet to our computer, for us to answer back, and for you to receive our answer. The lower the number the faster the route the better the connection. Packet loss is when we send a data packet of information (file transfer, click a button, load a post, etc) and we wait on your machine to answer back you got it, if your machine doesn't answer we assume the packet lost and resend it. These both lead to slow connection speeds or lost connections all together. Yes, having to download a file again because your computer lost connection counts against your daily limit.

If you're curious open a command window (command prompt) and ping our site with the following command C:\users\you>ping -n 100 combatace.com

Then post your results here.

File transfers in PMs don't count against your download limit.

Ping results....

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ant>ping -n 100 combatace.com

Pinging combatace.com [216.104.36.210] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 216.104.36.210:

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 131ms, Maximum = 141ms, Average = 132ms

130ms across the pond and no packet loss. That's an acceptable result. Are you having problems downloading today or what issues are you seeing today?

Its just taken 3 attempts to download the IAF vipers pack but the Blk50/52 pack downloaded in just 1 hit.

Erik, well, for SF I have scripts to put INI values in a DB, scripts to validate the various INIs, detect redundancies and dependencies, scripts to remove unused files, scripts to update or unify FM across multiple aircrafts, including when they use different LODs, and I'm working on scripts to automatically merge a mod archive into a specific SF install and only add new (or newer files), etc...

It's all very rough and inefficient because it's only for my own use (and I'm constantly rewriting them, meaning half of the time they don't even work as intended) but with a lot more work and some more scripts I'll have the whole set of tools for a modern mod management for SF2.

At the moment I'm mostly in the cataloging, planning and prototyping stage, I don't expect to ever reach the final coding stage (lack of time and focus), but I hope to end up with a "RFC" that clears the way for those willing to do the actual work but with no time or will to do the preliminary work.

My current problem is making sure I can integrate mods into the system without having to force modders into too rigid a scheme, and given the various ways of organizing the archives and the changes in SF file structures, it's not entirely satisfying yet.

Don't get your hopes up though, it originates from my weapons DB, at least half a decade ago and I'm still sitting on a dozen half-finished projects.

Edited by Gunrunner

Its just taken 3 attempts to download the IAF vipers pack but the Blk50/52 pack downloaded in just 1 hit.

I see the duplication in the download logs which is consistent with having to re-download the file. Does the file stop downloading at the start, middle, end, or just anywhere? Do you get any error messages at all?

Erik, well, for SF I have scripts to put INI values in a DB, scripts to validate the various INIs, detect redundancies and dependencies, scripts to remove unused files, scripts to update or unify FM across multiple aircrafts, including when they use different LODs, and I'm working on scripts to automatically merge a mod archive into a specific SF install and only add new (or newer files), etc...

It's all very rough and inefficient because it's only for my own use (and I'm constantly rewriting them, meaning half of the time they don't even work as intended) but with a lot more work and some more scripts I'll have the whole set of tools for a modern mod management for SF2.

At the moment I'm mostly in the cataloging, planning and prototyping stage, I don't expect to ever reach the final coding stage (lack of time and focus), but I hope to end up with a "RFC" that clears the way for those willing to do the actual work but with no time or will to do the preliminary work.

My current problem is making sure I can integrate mods into the system without having to force modders into too rigid a scheme, and given the various ways of organizing the archives and the changes in SF file structures, it's not entirely satisfying yet.

Don't get your hopes up though, it originates from my weapons DB, at least half a decade ago and I'm still sitting on a dozen half-finished projects.

That is one heck of a project you got there. It will be great to see it turn into something. You may have to include some user input to help the installer find the necessary files or file structure in which to save them.

Good luck and have fun!

I see the duplication in the download logs which is consistent with having to re-download the file. Does the file stop downloading at the start, middle, end, or just anywhere? Do you get any error messages at all?

They can get interupted anywhere, no error messages, I used to think it was something to do with me going on to view another topic as it "seemed" to happen when I came of the page with the download buttons on, but I've stayed on that page & still get the same problem.

Let's try this. You're using IE9 now to browse with. Download the latest copy of Chrome and install it. DOWNLOAD CHROME Try some downloads and let me know. Let's eliminate the browser first.

The original post above has been updated. As of this writing all tested browsers are supported and work as intended in our download section. This includes the most recent releases of Internet Explorer 9, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera. Download links for those browsers can be found in my original post above.

Thanks for your patience while we resolved the issues with daily download limits.

Erik

Just downloaded 4 files of varying sizes using chrome, switched around pages and sites like I usually do......no interruptions [yipeeeeeeee], I'll use chrome from now on & report back if I have any issues.

Thanks for you time.

Just downloaded 4 files of varying sizes using chrome, switched around pages and sites like I usually do......no interruptions [yipeeeeeeee], I'll use chrome from now on & report back if I have any issues.

Thanks for you time.

If it keeps happening next thing to try if you are on wireless is plug in a cable to your gateway instead - you could also note whether it happens at certain times - my connection used to be affected at busy periods.

I currently use a version of Chromium called Comodo Dragon - just Chrome with extra security bits really and that does okay - but I still use IE9 for a lot of things.

As for download managers/accelerators - I avoid these like the plague

Edited by MigBuster

Hi all. I am labeled as new user, that means I have 6 downloads per day, I wish to know if is a 24hour countdown since mi last download or if it reset with the date change.

The design is not dependent on a date or time on the clock. It however tracks the 24 hour clock from the downloads you've already made.

If you log in and start downloading files on any given day or hour this is how it works.

Download 1) ---> Download Time  <-- Datestamp (begin 24 hour countdown) for this example let's say this is 1:00pm on 12/25/13 (5 files left)

Download 2) ---> Download Time  5pm on 12/25/13

Download 3) ---> Download Time  6pm on 12/25/13

Download 4) ---> Download Time 11pm on 12/25/13

Download 5) ---> Download Time 12am on 12/26/13

Download 6) ---> Download Time  1am on 12/26/13

You log in again on 12/26 at  7pm  and the first 3 files have dropped off your count so you download 3 more files. Your count looks like this now

Download 1) ---> Download Time 11pm on 12/25/13

Download 2) ---> Download Time 12am on 12/26/13

Download 3) ---> Download Time  1am on 12/26/13

Download 4) ---> Download Time  7:04pm on 12/26/13

Download 5) ---> Download Time  7:05pm on 12/26/13

Download 6) ---> Download Time  7:10pm on 12/26/13

This is the way it is kept track of in your download record.

While we are back on the topic of downloads and if you're a new member you'll notice that your downloads have been restricted to just 1 per day. This is temporary until I fix a loop hole which is blatantly being abused.

Example:

Member X shows up and doesn't know our community from the next. He sees this list of downloads that he wants so he starts downloading. He hits his cap and gets the message that he's not allowed to download any more for 24 hours. So member X says screw you CombatACE I'll go make another account and get more downloads. So he creates another account and gets 6 more. That's not enough so he creates another account and gets 6 more and this cycle goes on and on and on.

I've seen our tracking system remove and ban 20 accounts at a time all belonging to the same user. The next day the cycle begins again and will continue as long as the unrestricted registration process is there. The fix to this is to remove the download ability of new accounts which will prevent people from abusing the system. How exactly I'm going to implement this I don't know yet. But I know it needs to be done.

The open nature of our downloads has been an issue for a long time. The abusive behavior of the folks that want files continues to cost us an incredible amount every month. As I benefit the community by adding more download speed and ability the abusers threaten to take it away with greed. I have a set budget I work in every month. Once that money is gone, it's gone, that's it I don't get to create a new hosting account and get free downloads. If you're a subscriber you know the benefits I'm talking about. My job is to figure out how to keep them that way and still keep downloads free for everyone else.

More to come...

Clearly explained. I had registered here in 2009. I never posted anything because I don´t do much except of flying, I had lost a HDD so I had to download everything again. I understand the motivation and I hope you find out the solution soon. I want to download the falkland campaign so I must wait then. Thanks for quick response.