I've recently been building up a WWII south-west pacific mod folder, focused around northern Australia and New Guinea (that wirraway came at a perfect time Wrench!). I'm using Edward's WW2 Darwin terrain with Wrench's update pack and the tiles from Green Hell 3 - I simply copied the GH3 files to the Darwin folder and used the darwin_data.ini included with GH3.

The problem is that some of the terrain tiles are transparent at certain angles. It's usually the forest tiles on the side of hills, and it only seems to happen when they're viewed from a low altitude. I've included a couple of screenshots to show what I mean.

I just tried again without using GH3 tiles and the problem is still there. It might be heightmap related?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

post-73907-0-85911600-1347871273_thumb.jpg

post-73907-0-31706000-1347871450_thumb.jpg

I think it has something to do with the flightengine.ini. In WoX was it the blue ribbon problem. ... Sorry cant remember exactly how to solve it. It was something with 3 lines in the flightengine.ini ...... :scratch:

it may be flightengine or height field ... there's a couple of spots on the KAW Korea map that do it too.

btw, is there a river on those tiles? just curious, as that were I see it most on Korea

New Guinea is in the factory right now; being rebult from the bottom up. Unfortnately, my HD is dying, so I'm going balls out to try and back everything up until I can get the new HD installed and transfer all the stuff over

Edited by Wrench

it's heightfield issue we have in Kevin's KAW map, reasons for it? Hmmm say 1998/2001 era terrain engine..?

@Wrench: backup! And good luck

No, there aren't any rivers in that area. I'll try playing around with flightengine.ini and see if that has any effect. I did try changing some of the settings in the [heightfield] section of darwin.ini... increasing DetailScale seemed to help a little in some areas but it also makes the terrain really rough and jagged. Maybe DetailFrequency is the key?

Looking forward to that New Guinea map! Can't thank you guys enough for all the work you do, mods and addons are what really make this game worth playing!

it's not so much backing up ... that would have been easy if it werent for all the defective sectors. Using the Windoze backup in the 'my computer', goes to 3/4 of the progress bar and fails due to an I/O error.

fortunately, the mods folders are still accessable and zipped, and storing on the external.

Unfortunately, frakking Dell don't ship with with Win7 discs....and THIS is the main problem.

Just thought I'd let you know I figured out a solution: in the darwin_DATA.ini file, under the [WaterTextureMaterial] heading change the line DepthBufferWrite=FALSE to DepthBufferWrite=TRUE.

Haven't got the faintest idea what a depthbuffer is or why it should be writing but this seems to work. Hope this works on your Korea maps too!

hmmm you might have just win the jackpot thegeoff!

Kev could you check this in Korea map? I'm at work at the moment

they've been set to TRUE since day 1 ...

really? hmm, my bad then, can't verify at the moment

It was set to false in the version of WW2 Darwin I downloaded... in the unmodified ini DepthBufferCheck=TRUE but DepthBufferWrite=FALSE