Sign in to follow this  
Sheriff001

IR AIM-4s growling at nothing

Hi all,

I have a problem in using the IR-guided AIM-4s. When I select them, they seem to lock on to nothing. As soon as I select them (even if far from any target), I get a lock on tone. Is this a common problem? If it's not just inherent to the missile itself, is there any parameter I can edit so that I only hear the lock on tone when it is actually locked on?

Incidentally, it's hard to say how successful my AIM-4s are. I only fire when I am near a target, within the radar's parameters, and when the seeker is giving the lock on tone. However, since the lock on tone doesn't seem to relate to anything, I don't know if the missiles are locked on to a heat source or not.

Here's my AIM-4G data.ini:

[WeaponData001]

TypeName=AIM-4G

FullName=AIM-4G Falcon

ModelName=aim-4G

Mass=66.000000

Diameter=0.166000

Length=2.060000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.364000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.580000

AttachmentType=NATO,USAF

SpecificStationCode=AIM4

NationName=USAF

StartYear=1959

EndYear=1979

Availability=2

BaseQuantity=4

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1961

ExportEndYear=1979

ExportAvailability=2

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=TRUE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=FALSE

HasGrowl=TRUE

EffectClassName=SmallMissileEffects

ReleaseDelay=2.000000

WarheadType=0

Explosives=18.000000

FusingDistance=0.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=10

Accuracy=80

MaxTurnRate=14.000000

MaxLaunchG=2.000000

LockonChance=40

LaunchReliability=75

ArmingTime=2.300000

SeekerFOV=6.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=30.000000

SeekerTrackRate=15.000000

SeekerRange=12000.000000

CLmax=14.000000

MinFreq=0.000000

MaxFreq=0.000000

MinLaunchRange=1500.000000

MaxLaunchRange=9600.000000

Duration=20.000000

CounterCountermeasure=40.000000

NoiseRejection=40.000000

CapabilityFlags=0x00000200

LoftAngle=0.000000

DescentAngle=0.000000

MaxLoftAltitude=0.000000

BoosterStart=0.000000

BoosterDuration=3.000000

BoosterAccel=55.000000

BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect

BoosterSoundName=Missile

BoosterNodeName=

BoosterPosition=0.000000,-1.456000,0.000000

SustainerDuration=0.000000

SustainerAccel=0.000000

SustainerEffectName=

SustainerSoundName=

SustainerPosition=0.000000,-1.456000,0.000000

InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightEffect

InFlightSoundName=

ReleaseAnimationID=-1

EODisplayFlags=0

CEP=0.000000

Edited by Sheriff001

that has happened to be with AIM-9s also, whenever I have them selected, pull up the map for a couple of seconds and exit the map, it starts growling whether something is ahead of me or not. Only for a second though.

The AIM-4 was a very unreliable missile. Gen. Robin Olds described it best, "As useless as tits on a Bullhog!" I never had any luck using them in WOV.

Get as close to the target as possible, and make sure the target is not maneuvering for best chances of scoring a hit with the AIM-4.

Probably one of the poorest weapon that we can use over Vietnam. Nearly every flights made with them on Phantom II are perilious, like with the most of the first gen AA missiles.

I think locking onto the sun is possible in SF but would need to check that.

You probably know this but there are two growls, a low one anytime the missle is selected and a much louder, more "active" one when you get a lock; for all IR missles.

WOW that is a coincidence, my uncles dog growls at his balls everyday but he was neutered 4 years ago...... :lol:

• Like 2

In the old burning sands 84 campaing mod in the gen 1 download secion there his sound that both are nuch more distinc!

i still use it.

I have two distinct sounds. A low growl indicating IR missile selected, and a loud high-pitched buzz for lock.

I've set up an unmaneuvering target to test some stuff out. The AIM-4 needs a bit of run before it starts to steer after launch, that increases the min range quite a bit. I am not sure what stat governs this.

I've set up an unmaneuvering target to test some stuff out. The AIM-4 needs a bit of run before it starts to steer after launch, that increases the min range quite a bit. I am not sure what stat governs this.

ArmingTime=2.300000. The missile seeker begin to be "alive" 2.3 seconds after launch.

It appears to be a regular cycle. 1 second not locked on, 1 second locked on, repeated. I wonder if I should start tweaking the ArmingTime, the LockonChance, or both?

Another question: what is "NoiseRejection". The AIM-9B has NoiseRejection=10, the AIM-4D has NoiseRejection=40

I have a little technique that I've tried for the IR-guided AIM-4s. I fire from dead-astern (or as close as possible), I wait until I get constant tone (several seconds), I ensure that the sight is directly on a target (no lead), and I fire at close to maximum range (indicated on the radar scope). Lock on will occur several miles before maximum launch range. Before firing again, or on another target, I first switch from an IR-guided AIM-4 to another weapon, then I get the target in my sights, switch to IR-guided AIM-4, and fire after a long tone. Within three miles, I'll hold fire, and swing around for another firing pass, or return to base.

I could also, possibly, play with the maximum range figure. Did the IR-guided AIM-4 have a seeker slaved to radar, or was it simply boresighted?

Edited by Sheriff001

Noise rejection should be related to radar guided missiles. It means how much resistant the radar lock is to noise jammers. Try maybe to lower the arming time and increase a little bit the SeekerFOV as now is within a very narrow 6 degreese. The seekers were not slaved to radar to my knowledge.