Sign in to follow this  
Do335

huge roll momentum

flying the stock F-15 and some of the 3rd party jets, can't help but notice there's a huge roll momentum in the flight model? the roll rate stoppage is so slow i'm over banking all the time despite the decent turning ability.

realism aside (although pretty sure if the eagle flew like that the air force shouldn't bought it first place....) what line in the _data.ini should I look at?

didn't help much spinners....

pretty sure it'd be one/a few of those data tables?

guess just stick to phantoms for now

firm, but steady hand.

:crazy::biggrin:

Edited by Do335

flying the stock F-15 and some of the 3rd party jets, can't help but notice there's a huge roll momentum in the flight model? the roll rate stoppage is so slow i'm over banking all the time despite the decent turning ability.

realism aside (although pretty sure if the eagle flew like that the air force shouldn't bought it first place....) what line in the _data.ini should I look at?

I've noticed this too! The 3rd party F-15's are very sluggish and heavy! when cruising to the target, they fly in a nose-up profile...not like the 3W F-15!

didn't help much spinners....

pretty sure it'd be one/a few of those data tables?

Play with those tables if you know what you're doing. I don't.

What I do know is that increasing the roll damper definitely stiffens the rate of roll but you have to crank in whole numbers and not just tenths. I've just tried it with an A-7H at 1600m and Mach 0.92 'stock' (0.4) and adjusted (2.4) and it works - although not by as much as expected.

You also need to look at the roll moment figures due to roll rate (aka roll damping) (Clp=) in each component with AeroCoefficients.

In the LeftWing and RightWing, for example, it is Clp=-0.0224. Increase the size of this number from -0.0224 to (say) -0.03, and make corresponding changes to the other components, and see how it goes.

Check your controller settings. There's practically zero roll momentum in my case, flying under hard flight model settings. Also, the FM for the TW F-15 is unrealistic as hell. It super-cruises, it doesn't bleed energy the way it should, and its roll rate is probably too fast.

I've lost touch with our resident F-15 driver, who would be more qualified to comment on this.

flew the F-15 in falcon4. it's a f-16 sim so no way realistic eagle wise but the FM got a re-make in bms by topolo and does feel pretty good according to pilot accounts i read. high altitude performance is amazing, the viper struggles above a25 but the eagle roams free at 30!... it has good nose authority but easily gets into high alpha and bleeds a lot. flying tennis court?....

SF is sim lite so not looking for good flight model with it (but the phantom!!)... but sometimes it's a bit ridiculous heheh. at least phantom handles ok-ish, gonna mess with those tables when moving to other jets...

Check your controller settings. There's practically zero roll momentum in my case, flying under hard flight model settings. Also, the FM for the TW F-15 is unrealistic as hell. It super-cruises, it doesn't bleed energy the way it should, and its roll rate is probably too fast.

I've lost touch with our resident F-15 driver, who would be more qualified to comment on this.

Play with those tables if you know what you're doing. I don't.

What I do know is that increasing the roll damper definitely stiffens the rate of roll but you have to crank in whole numbers and not just tenths. I've just tried it with an A-7H at 1600m and Mach 0.92 'stock' (0.4) and adjusted (2.4) and it works - although not by as much as expected.

Edited by Do335