Sign in to follow this  
ToS

dynamic shadows in cockpits?

Hey,

just noticed in the (Non-Super) Hornet cockpit that it features some dynamic shadows from the cell/fuselage – I´d love to have this in other planes;

Are there some magic ini-entries to activate dynamic shadows in the cockpit or is this a 3D-model feature?

Cheers,

Chris

Dynamic shadows in the cockpit can only be shown if the external and internal 3D use the same cockpit mesh

Have you guys tried 'OpenCockpit=TRUE' line? Its seems to be working,

img00120-1.jpg

but there are some anomalies...

img00121-1.jpg

Dynamic shadows in the cockpit can only be shown if the external and internal 3D use the same cockpit mesh

You mean to include the external model mesh in the cockpit mesh lods? I'd appreciate some clarification, as dynamic shadows are very cool!

No, the other way around, you need to include the internal mesh as part of the external mesh and place it in the same position, which obviously increases considerably the poly count and the workload needed for the external model

Even then, you wouldn't have not a perfect implementation, as most 3D cockpits are made of moving parts and other parts that are not closed (omitting back faces that are not visible from the pilot's perspective), and these parts wouldn't cast shadows

Razbam's planes are some current examples of external models using the same cockpit mesh as the internal models, and in them you get a taste of partial dynamic shadowing in the cockpit

Thankyou very much for the reply Paladrian. Including the cockpit mesh into the external model mesh would be far too taxing as far as polys are concerned .. at least for my for my F-5 .. guess I'll have to make the most of baked textures:)