Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

Skins and cockpit issues

I decided to try yet again to make a PTO install. I guess I just love trying to fix bugs, lol. But this one has me stumped. I recently downloaded several of wrenchs' PTO aircraft packs; the Ki-41's, the F4F's, etc. Thought it would be nice to have the updated aircraft and maybe save some headaches. However, in just about every one of them, the skin does not show, only a black version of the old white texture when no skin was on the plane. Ive looked over the readme's, the ini's, etc. and can find nothing wrong. There was also a couple other issues like no cockpit, or cockpit angle wierd, or propeller shadows at certain angles on the solomons map. Any ideas?

post-66-0-11156100-1348343007_thumb.jpg

post-66-0-15360600-1348343014_thumb.jpg

post-66-0-90355700-1348343046_thumb.jpg

post-66-0-01917000-1348343021_thumb.jpg

post-66-0-84641300-1348343054_thumb.jpg

Using Win7 Home, AMD quad core cpu, Radeon 5760 w/ 1 GB DDR5 ram, 8gb 1600 RAM. Thank you for your time and any help.

Looks like you are flying some black projects... :biggrin:

Now seriously, the skins are in jpg or bmp, and which patch your game is?

the thing that's really got ME bugged is the square prop tga on the SBD, and the missing pit on the WindIndicator...as (as always!) they work fine for me.

The skins ARE in jpg, for May/June/July 2012 level (full-5 merged in my case)

Jeff, try converting the skins to bmp with Photoshop, or IrfanView or GIMP and see what happens.

I don't have my mods folders rebuilt yet; just got the new HD in and the reinstall of the OS done last night, and waiting for the new vidcard, so I can't check anything for few days (the craptastic card i'm using just don't like SF2)

and most definately, what patch level be you at?

Thanks for the replies fellas. This is SF2, 2V, 2E, 2I with both expansion packs patched to Dec.2010-B. I didnt go any higher last because last time it just screwed tohe pooch when I did. Shoulda backed up eh? LOL! Didnt think a later patch would change any thing significant after reading the readme's on the thirdwire site. I have found out that converting to bmp does fix the skin issue. Thank you for that info! Still puzzling over the cockpit and propeller issue.

Whoa! Just tried something I hadnt thought of till now. I run a radeon 5670 video card. I have always set my visuals in the game to unlimited. Well, On a whim I tried setting them to medium and the prop anolomy is gone! Dont know why, any ideas? But glad thats fixed, and the game still looks pretty good.

Edit: Seemed to work on one aircraft but didnt on others...soooo, back to square one...

Edited by pcpilot

Square prop tga on the SBD, (or any propjob) Too many "SBD_prop.tgs's" in the aircraft folder, Rename (Ogi_SBD_prop.tga ) all the one's in the skin folders, Keep just the one ('s) in the aircraft folder. That should fix it. I think this also causes too dark of canopy glass with multi glass.tga's ,Have to check on the Glass.

Edited by RAVEN

Raven, I think you are correct as I tried this and it lessened the darkness of the shadow. But then it occured to me that THAT may be the problem. So I set CastShadow=FALSE. It had been true. Now the box around the prop is gone. Thanks for getting me on the right track. Now to see if I can figure out the cockpit issue again. If you all have any suggestions Im open. :)

Now Ive got another issue and I have NO idea how it came about. Maybe you fellas can help with this. I have installed wrenchs nations and formations inis with this install. It was working fairly well. At least I had enemies to fight when the mission started, even if it was the same plane all the time, (Ki-43). But now, almost every CAP or intercept or fighter sweep mission starts with "mission accomplished". When I F6 my view around, there isnt an enemy in sight. What the flock over!!! I tried adding this line to the Solomons-V3_nations.ini as it wasnt there...

[Nation006]

NationID=216

Name=IJN

DisplayName=Imperial Japanese Naval Air Force

Alignment=ENEMY

PlayerFlyable=TRUE

Mercenary=FALSE

PilotNameList=NamesJapanese.lst

RankList=RanksUSAF.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=WW2GerFighter

Formation.Attack=WW2GerAttack

Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber

Formation.Transport=SovietBomber

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

PilotTrainingStandard=NORMAL

GenderRatio=0

But it doesnt seem to have helped or hurt. What do I do to get my enemies back?

Edited by pcpilot

that's not how SF2 does nations now.

let me get the PTO mods folder unzipped, and look at the Solomons (don't recall if I used LimitedNations=TRUE

yup, sounds like the dreaded ATI bug on the tga (I've always used nVidia)

the jpg skin is a patch issue -- iirc the Nov 2011 added that ability.

as to the cockpit ... I DID remember it in the SB2U's zip, right???

only issue in my install which btw is a merged sf2 install minus NA with july 12 patch is getting phillipines scenery to appear. I got okinawa ,south korea and solomons to show. Bu the Phills has stumped me. the terrain folder is names right and the cat pts to vietnam which i assume is the correct cat? The folder is named so no mismatch there. If anyone can help, that wpuld be great.

Thanks wrench. Near as I can tell you got all the cockpit stuff right. I'll keep looking.

only issue in my install which btw is a merged sf2 install minus NA with july 12 patch is getting phillipines scenery to appear. I got okinawa ,south korea and solomons to show. Bu the Phills has stumped me. the terrain folder is names right and the cat pts to vietnam which i assume is the correct cat? The folder is named so no mismatch there. If anyone can help, that wpuld be great.

Been meaning to tell you guys.. It's Philippines not Phillipines. love the Map and all but could someone get the name right?

just do this in the main Phillipines.ini:

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Phillippines (1944) <---note corrected spelling!

DataFile=Phillipines_data.INI

TargetFile=Phillipines_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=Phillipines_types.INI

MovementFile=Phillipines_movement.INI

NationsFile=Phillipines_nations.INI

BriefingText=Phillipines_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=Phillipines_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

//CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

NavalMap=TRUE

WaterMap=Phillipines_Water.bmp

LimitedNations=TRUE

that's the name displayed in the terrain dropdown menu. Otherwise, one would need to renamed the TFD, HFD, main ini and the folder.

(and yes, my father were he still alive, would slap me silly for spelling it wrong. He was there 45-46)

Jeff, have you tried another cockpit? Say, the original Wolf Dauntless pit?? Just as an experiment, you see.

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

thanks wrench. it just irks me for its my home country. All good though.

you know we have a PAF P-26, right? It'll need a new FM, but the markings are correct for Dec 41 (it's somewhere in the 1stGen downloads -- i don't remember where).

someday, I must scan Dad's pictures from the war, and post them in the gallery. Shots from Tacloban, Manila, various and sundry stuff.

He always wanted to go back and vist; he just loved the people. Never managed too, though