Sign in to follow this  
Gatling20

Flight model on the TW P-51D

I am enjoying the TW P-51D model, it is far and away the best-looking P-51D model we have in SF.

But I have some concerns about the FM.

Published speeds at various altitudes are fairly accessible for the Mustang, and most sources say that the speed at SL was 355 mph, or 368 mph with WEP (308 kts or 320 kts IAS).

I can't get it to more than 300 knots. This is with a full fuel and ammo load, but otherwise clean.

The top speed was 437 mph at 25,000 feet (253 kts IAS) or 440 mph with WEP (255 kts IAS)

I can't get it to go more than 240 kts, with or without WEP.

Does anyone else find this, or is everyone happy with the FM?

TAS or IAS???

(it's a discussion that comes up all the time)

you'll need to active the full debug mode, so extract the HUDData.ini, place it in the /Flight folder and do this to the top section:

[Debug]

//DisplayDebug=FALSE

DisplayDebug=TRUE

the commented out section will allow you turn it off permantly. In game you'll have a LOT of info on the left side of the screen. It can be turned off by hitting Alt/D.

you'll also notice the speedometer is calibrated in MPH, while debug is knots

and yes, I agree, it feels 'sluggish' all around

Thanks, Wrench. I meant indicated, not true. I understand the difference, I usually work off the on-screen display for de-bugging things.

Sluggish is the word. I know it wasn't a dogfigter, but the P-51D was low-drag ship, and it should pick up speed faster than this, I think.

I may have a go at re-doing the enigne power segment, and see how it goes.

Don't forget, the TW P-51 is loaded with full internal fuel. I got rid of the fuselage tank for my install and it helps performance quite a bit. Even with wing tanks only it has more than twice the fuel capacity of the Spitfire. [ Agree, it still seems a bit sluggish]

but ya gotta admit, it IS one of the nicest looking models 3W has ever produced (and, yes I prejudiced!)

the thing should be one of the best dogfighters EVER in aviation history -- that kinda sorta what it was built for.

removing the fues tank is a good idea -- for 3W 63% maps - with the 2 internal wing tanks, and the 2 drop tanks, it'll have plenty of gojuice. But what of the few full-scale maps we have? that extra gas might come in handy.

but it DO needs tweeking. We're all seen real ones flying, and various newsreel-type films from the war; it should be MUCH more manuveralbe

I haven't flown it for awhile but I think the AvHistory P-51 FM bleeds less speed in the turns. Probably not an easy task to transfer the AvHistory FM to the TW model although I think Fubar did just that for his own use.