Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

OT - "Pulp Fiction" in Real Life

Remember that scene in "Pulp Fiction" where they jumpstarted an ODing Uma Thurman? Well, for the 1st time in my career last night, I saw something very similar happen.

It was about 2330 last night and we got called to a trailer park were there was a big redneck party in progress. The call said a guy had passed out and wasn't breathing and when we walked in the door, we found him breathing just a bit but not enough to keep from turning slightly blue. Turns out he'd had a lot of beer and then chewed up a methadone patch. So the paramedic shot him up with this stuff called Narcan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naloxone

Within a few seconds, the guy groaned and we pulled him into a sitting position, whereupon he spectactularly puked his guts out. Fortunately, the paramedic warned me this was going to happen so we had him aimed away from us when the fountain started. Then the guy was wide awake but disoriented. When he asked what happened and why he was covered in puke, I said, "Dude, we just 'Pulp Fictioned' you."

It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. When I got there, I thought I was within 10 seconds of doing CPR. But 10 minutes later, the guy had changed his own clothes and walked to the ambulance under his own power. Not even my local voodoo practitioners can raise the dead that well :).

All in all, it was a very busy night. Before this resurrection, we had a grieving relation go down in the middle of a funeral service but we managed to keep the body count there at just the one. Then we had a car fire and finished up in the wee hours with a large party-turned-riot with several casualties to patch up. And then I had to get up at 0600 this morning to brief the guys taking over the watch. Needless to say, I'm a bit tired right now, so I expect I'll nod off on the sofa while watching football this afternoon :).

Bullet, I must say you have a very interesting life.

You see more in one year than other people may see in their whole life.

Good that there are people like you to help.