Olham

Two beautiful new WOFF Screenshots

Has the page been removed?

Um, no...tis still there. The screens look great. :)

Ah yes...see them now...weird, broken link last night.

Very nice

Fantastic scenery and atmosphere!

Dreary, overcast, rainy...with the promise of more to come. I recall posts (on this Forum) by members in northern Europe also complimenting the Devs on the accurate portrayal of flying weather. I'm only a Quick Combat flyer, and I'm always surprised at the number of times I click "Go To The Field" and OFF launches me into a raging rain storm. I know England is famous for it, but do you guys on the mainland really get that much inclement weather?

Some phases during WW1 were especially bad. I have the theory that the permanent shelling

may have released so much gun powder, cordite or whatever they had in there, that the clouds

rained off more than usual.

Here is a climate table for Paris of today. The blue curve are the rainy days per month.

The blue curve are the rainy days per month.

Now that you mention it, I recall people at the time remarked that the weather was unusually foul, and winters severe. But also, the compliments posted here indicated the Devs had really 'captured the look of northern Europe' (at present) ...which, if true, means that northern Europe looks a lot like San Francisco: mild summers with grey, overcast and drizzly winters. (although I only saw one snow flurry in S.F. in 30 years).

The graph for Paris seems to indicate that precipitation (I'll assume that some of that blue line is snow in the winter) is fairly constant all year 'round.

Northern France, Southern England, Belgium and Germany benefit a lot from the Gulf Stream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

We have rather mild winters.

But the air coming in from the North Atlantik brings rain quite regularly..

There is certainly nothing resembling a rainy season or a dry season in northern Europe.

A mysterious yellow disc is sometimes seen. Usually through a window at work, in my case.

A mysterious yellow disc is sometimes seen. Usually through a window at work, in my case.

LOL!!!

Where I live, we alternate between draught and flood. At the end of a flood, I usually say "AAAA-IIIIIII!!! What is this horribly bright thing in the sky? I feel myself burning. I must return to my coffin!" During the ensuing draught, there are occasional light sprinkles of rain, during which I tell local children to come out and witness this strange prodigy from the heavens, which must be an omen of impending catastrophe. And finally, during the monsoon season, on those few days when the sun comes out, I remark that "You know, the Indians had legends of such a bright disc in the sky, but I'd always thought they'd been smoking the peace pipe too much. Who'd have thought such a thing really existed?"

Most of my neighbors consider me a bit odd, but it's not for the above :)

Northern France, Southern England, Belgium and Germany benefit a lot from the Gulf Stream.

True. While we generally think of Europe as lying directly east, actually you're all a good bit to the north. This map (not the best, but I was hurrying) shows that if the Gulf Stream stopped, northern France, southern England, Belgium and Germany would have a climate akin to Newfoundland, northern Canada ans southern Alaska.

arcticmap4-new.jpg

This map (not the best, but I was hurrying) shows that if the Gulf Stream stopped, northern France, southern England, Belgium and Germany would have a climate akin to Newfoundland, northern Canada ans southern Alaska.

Don't they? I've been to most of these places and find them distinguishable by their local beers and languages but not in their weather ;).

If you choose historical weather in Workshop then you get weather system based on reports of weather that occurred in WW1. As Olham said, during WW1 it was exceptionally bad (hence plenty of NML mud).

If you instead choose AI Weather Gen (Generator) then you will get weather based on WM's Artificial Intelligence weather generation system, which will produce better days in summer and worse as winter approaches :)

If you instead choose AI Weather Gen...

Thanks, Pol. I'll do that.

There's also a 3rd option. About 1/6 or so of the Workshops screen, in the upper left area, is devoted to user-defined weather parameters. So, if like neither "Historical" nor WM's default AI, you can set up your own AI. This allows you to set basic parameters, how often a front comes through and messes up the norm, how long the front lasts, and how bad things get during it.

If you instead choose AI Weather Gen (Generator) then you will get weather based on WM's Artificial Intelligence weather generation system,

which will produce better days in summer and worse as winter approaches :)

Ah, thanks for the explanation - I had never used it, thinking it would be totally random.

But since I much prefer flying in nice weather, I should give it a try then.

In spring and summer of course. . :beach:

Edited by Olham

This year in the UK has been the wettest summer on record.... I have never seen such heavy, prolonged Rain. The South of Europe has baked half to death...and I don't even need to mention the United States, who have suffered from an awful drought.

It's curious the weather in WW1, because WW2 had it's own bad weather too. I'm thinking about the Battle of the Bulge in particular.

I know the UK has been wet this year, but not being a smart Alec, it's actually felt reasonably normal. Wet boots in the morning and mud all round the yard. Same old, same old... How do you quantify extra mud? It might well have been wetter, but speaking locally, it's not been noticeably wetter.

Best part of summer this was March. Not kidding. The rest of 'Summer' just came in all too brief installments.

What I have noticed, was seeing neither a wasp nor a butterfly until the beginning of September. That's a bit grim. I think they've been missing the heat of a decent summer, - as indeed have I.

Time will tell whether there will be enough berries for the birds this winter. Usually, few berries is a good sign it won't be a bad winter, but the old ways and sayings don't seem to apply these days. Perhaps they never really did, or maybe the world really is changing.

Well, it may have been a bit 'nicer' further South FlyPC...but between the end of March, and the end of August, up here in the North East...I can count the days it was sunny on one hand :(

Well, you British have your traditions. The rain is one of them.

I remember watching one of the Queens last birthday's "Trooping the Colours" -

it was raining cats and dogs, and the soldiers must have got soaked to the very bones.

But they did the whole show. That's an example for toughness.

And that's just using the thumb.

Or the 'fingers of one foot', as we say in my family.