Images Originally Posted by Spanky @ ED Forums.

Here's a few snapshots... lots of detail to add as this is our bare bones FSX model which is fairly old, but it does give me a good starting point to go from..

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1557073&postcount=8

post-182-0-27013400-1348502954_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-90751900-1348502961_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-82328400-1348502970_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-20972600-1348502981_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla

I've got their FSX model and its one of the few birds in my hangar that gets regular air time. From what I gather its only the B/D thats being modeled for DCS, hope I'm wrong... Would kill for an A, underpowered and temperamental as they were.

Craig

I **think** he said he is using this model as a starting point for B/D.

too many uninformed people on other boards are begging for working Glove Vanes... when they were Welded shut for Later B and the D BuNos.

They weren't welded shut in the B and D, they were completely omitted! Only the A model had the gove vanes in production (the F-14B prototype had them for both the F401 and F110 flight tests), and most were locked shut by disconnecting the actuators that pushed them out during the 1990's. I recall talking to some of the airframers when we were trying to nail down an exact date for their deactivation over at tomcat-sunset (might have been a modelling discussion) - the best answer is that there wasn't one: one of the airframers recalled that in his squadron, if the vanes worked, they didn't touch them. Once they broke, they "pulled the plug" so you would sometimes see footage or images in the late 1990's with A models, vanes out at high speed. Other squadrons were more adamant about deactivating the system.

For DCS, apart from the F-14 being anachronistic following 2006 (except Iranian F-14A's), having an A model with working vanes would be nice, but if you were to assume taking up a mission in the A Turkey now, they probably wouldn't have the vanes active (kind of like how we disabled them in F-14A_96 in the Tomcat Super Pack for SF2).

Regardless of how it is handled, I can't wait for an F-14 in DCS, and thanks for sharing the screenies and the news!

Edited by Caesar

They weren't welded shut in the B and D, they were completely omitted!

that's what i meant, just wasnt sure if they survived onto the B/D airframes.

My father worked on F-14s, his last stint in VF-101 here.

I think he said they locked them shut because they were rarely used, and required constant maintenance.,

they were designed to balance out the Pitch down effect when the tomcat approached higher speeds with Full Wing sweep.

this was later balanced out by re-programming the Flight Control System. (instead of deploying the vanes, the FCS added elevator trim).

Well until one of them actually produce a 3rd party add on, Ill believe it when I see it. Lots of talk, very little action.

Sounds like they were a common complaint among the maintainers, then! Heard the exact same thing at T-S (constant maintenance, and a pain in the a**). One of the folks there had said they could get jarred loose even after they were deactivated and had seen them pop out on carrier landings every once in a while. Also brought up that if certain seals went bad, they could lead to airframe corrosion from saltwater getting inside. They were omitted from the B and D for the exact reason you say: they were designed to counter the aerodynamic forces on the stabs, but didn't do much for high speed maneuverability until the plane was above 2M, and if you were travelling that fast, you were going to have a piss poor turn rate and radius anyhow. Even at 1.4M (their normal programmed out speed) they didn't do a whole hell of a lot (apparently, the ride "felt smoother" at low altitude if you rolled out the vanes, based on what some of the drivers and RIOs said). They were also automatically set to out in "bomb" mode - W/S 55deg, vanes out.

I suppose if one is a stickler for details and wants to fly an F-14A in a mission set in the 1970's, 80's or early to mid 90's, they might complain (if an "A" even is released by IRIS), but most, if not all were locked in towards the end of the A's service life (late 1990's, early 2000's), and anyone calling for them on the B and D is outright wrong.

Edited by Caesar

Well until one of them actually produce a 3rd party add on, Ill believe it when I see it. Lots of talk, very little action.

Lots of Renders and Screenshots... But no Module in my DCS World. :(

We're gonna need a better carrier.... :o

Edited by SkateZilla

Adding a bit here, but 18 F-14As were rebuilt as D-models. So the glove vanes were still there on those. They just didnt work.

As a side note, I hope IRIS seriously updates their model. It's an FS9 portover with the model being tweaked to FSX standards. Much of the avionics were left untouched from FS9.

-Jeff

Here is the new DCS Vietnam terrain which has moving wildlife and if you look carefully scantly clad native women:

rice-fields-vietnam-big.jpg?title=Rice%20paddies%2C%20Vietnam

Hanky from MB productions say this terrain should be available in fall 2013...........

I dont see anything wrong with the above 3d external model.

You mean like that blatantly mirrored Buno on the rear fuselage?

Far too early to tell how it will end up.

I've seen some great renders of the A-10 in Fighter Ops, too... :biggrin:

Fighter Ops is the biggest scam and Vaporware in the sim world today.

http://www.simhq.com/_air11/air_360a.html

4 freakin' years ago and what?

Anyone see any secondaries? Anyone see any secondaries? Didn't think so.

It's a shame cuz I was briefly invovled with FO. The terrain was amazing looking.

Here is the new DCS Vietnam terrain which has moving wildlife and if you look carefully scantly clad native women:

rice-fields-vietnam-big.jpg?title=Rice%20paddies%2C%20Vietnam

Hanky from MB productions say this terrain should be available in fall 2013...........

MB you forgot to mention they've included seasonal transitions for trees, plants, and rice patties.

I dont see anything wrong with the above 3d external model.

If thats brand new, then sure. My intent was to say that they cant just toss in any model and expect people to scoop it up. Their FSX model was a FS9 portover with tweaks to get the VC working correctly. Not much else. And so they charged full price for something that wasnt worth it. I hope they succeed, truly. I just hope they dont repeat what happened earlier.

-Jeff

seriously? this is 2013 terrain? Man, LOMAC riginal one still looks better :tongue:

Now we need an awesome carrier model and other assorted stuff pertaining to naval ops. Cuz what is in DCS: World now blows goats.

Fighter Ops is the biggest scam and Vaporware in the sim world today.

http://www.simhq.com...1/air_360a.html

4 freakin' years ago and what?

Anyone see any secondaries? Anyone see any secondaries? Didn't think so.

You mean 4 years since THAT interview. The actual game was announced

in fact it was in the Spring of 2005

Yeah, if after 7.5 years you've got nothing to show...you're not doing it.

MB you forgot to mention they've included seasonal transitions for trees, plants, and rice patties.

:biggrin: - surely they are minor compared to the rivers full of Eels and fields full of Ponies they were hoping on putting in.

Adding a bit here, but 18 F-14As were rebuilt as D-models. So the glove vanes were still there on those. They just didnt work.

Spoke to an airframer over at T-S, even those vanes were removed. The F-14D( R) and F-14B rebuilds had the airframe/avionics changes of the new-build B/D, from modified boat tail with the ECM antenna (the D( R)s were built out of Block 85 and 110 aircraft), to the necessary changes to support the F110 engine, glove vane system removal, glass cockpit and other system upgrades (dual TCS/IRST, APG-71, etc.). One of the only differences between the D( R)s and new build D's was that when the upgrades were in progress, some of the D( R)s (5 airframes) didn't get wired for TARPS. I haven't been able to find evidence as to whether or not they were retrofitted with the system later on.

EDIT: Wow, didn't know the parenthesis R made the copyright symbol automatically.

Edited by Caesar